Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how reliable are those vulcanization patches? Over the last year I've been riding with slime tubes in my 700x28 tires and have had no need to replace a tube or apply a patch. Generally the trails I ride only have thorns to contend with and the slime does a good job of sealing those holes. Today I got a glass cut that required a patch and it worked great. I continued on for about another 24 miles on the patch with no incident. So should I replace the tube or is it safe to continue riding on a patched tube?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
That's just a standard patch, right? I've been riding more than 30 years, dozens if not hundreds of flats, and I've had only two of them fail. One was my fault--the hole was big enough for some Slime to leak out, and i didn't get all the goop cleaned off. The other one might be on me, too. I didn't have any sandpaper, so I scrubbed the tube on the sidewalk to rough it up.
Some people do toss patched tubes, but I've never seen a reason to. The tubes in my mountain bike now probably have six or eight patches apiece.
FWIW, my failure rate with "glueless" patches is 50 percent. Four out of the eight-pack I bought as a test failed. But that was years ago; I hear they're better now.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I always try to patch my tubes. I've ridden tubes with 2-3 patches without problems. Glue-less patches are definitely not my choice either. Cory says he had about a 50% success rate with them. Mine is closer to 25%. I like the regular glue patches. Park brand is pretty good.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I also have had terrible luck with the 'Glue-Less' Patches. I don't use them.
I never attempt to patch a tube on a ride. I always carry spare tubes, that may have previous patches applied, but I prefer to do all patching once I get home in the garage under controlled, no stress for time conditions. When I used to patch on a ride, I always seemed rushed, and tried to cut corners and paid for it later on the ride with a 'repeat' flat, failed repair. At home I can take my time and do the repair correctly.
Never had any trouble using a tube with multiple well-applied patches.
John

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I assume you're talking about quality patches, like Rema. As others have said, if you do it right, it's a permanent job, completely reliable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
jmlapoint said:
I also have had terrible luck with the 'Glue-Less' Patches. I don't use them.
I never attempt to patch a tube on a ride. I always carry spare tubes, that may have previous patches applied, but I prefer to do all patching once I get home in the garage under controlled, no stress for time conditions. When I used to patch on a ride, I always seemed rushed, and tried to cut corners and paid for it later on the ride with a 'repeat' flat, failed repair. At home I can take my time and do the repair correctly.
Never had any trouble using a tube with multiple well-applied patches.
John
+1

Glue-less patches are for a last-resort-I-used-all-my-spares-and-need-to-get-home situation

Properly glued vulcanized patches = 100% reliable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.