Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home from the bank this morning and there were 2 HUGE flocks of turkey vultures playing on the thermals over the hill I live on. It got into the mid to upper 50's last night and as the sun warmed it up, it was their playground!

sorry for the cellphone pic but it was what I had, there was another group about the same size

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Looks like a dweezle family reunion.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
wow, that's a lot a birds.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There had to have been almost 60 in that flock.....and the second one was just as big

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would'a meant something if they had been circling YOUR house instead of mine....

Happy anniversary man..... and many more

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Thanks... 14! Yeah, she has low standards. :thumbsup:

Can't remember seeing that many of them together, but then your corner of the world has some interesting bird sightings. Like that Sandhill Crane standing on the shoulder of the highway on the drive up last weekend. And the Green Heron I saw on the ride. Plenty of Creaky's favorites too.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
are those common up thattaway?

we get big flocks like that out in the desert, because they roost in the cliffs above the river.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are REAL common around here.....the numbers are definitely increasing over the last 10 years too. There were easily 100 in both groups today, all within a 1/2 mile radius. They are truly hideous looking on the ground but in the air......not much around more beautiful. These guys were just playing with the thermals, my land is the highest point for about 30 or 40 miles in any direction. I see it pretty often. There is certainly plenty of food around.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
They are REAL common around here.....the numbers are definitely increasing over the last 10 years too. There were easily 100 in both groups today, all within a 1/2 mile radius. They are truly hideous looking on the ground but in the air......not much around more beautiful. These guys were just playing with the thermals, my land is the highest point for about 30 or 40 miles in any direction. I see it pretty often. There is certainly plenty of food around.

Cool. I like 'em, watch them a lot when we're out there. They actually seem pretty smart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts