Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thieves at the public transit stations have taken bicycle front ends with an Allen wrench and wire cutters. Is there any way to prevent this type of theft short of locking the bike somewhere else or locking up only junky bikes? Are there bolts with some unusual heads on them or something?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
All you can do is ride junkers and raise heck with the station management.

When I have to go to Union Station in DC I always make a point of locking my bike up a block away in front of a police post. Union Station is a very bad place to have to leave your bike.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Get the front end adjusted and drip wire solder, plastic, or superglue into the allen heads. You will need to re heat to remove but it would prevent an allen wrench from working easily. Torx bolts might work too. This may be one of the best arguments for threaded headsets I have heard in a while.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Replacing quick release with allen wrench or pitlocks for commuter bikes makes sense. All the stem bolts are still vunerable however. Plugging up the holes is a good idea. Those have been the targets of the people I know who lost handlebars, stems, brakes, brifters, and forks. One guy had his fixed gear handlebars, brake lever and stem removed but the fork was left on perhaps because it was secured to the front axle by a regular nut.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Art853 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Replacing quick release with allen wrench or pitlocks for commuter bikes makes sense. All the stem bolts are still vunerable however. Plugging up the holes is a good idea. Those have been the targets of the people I know who lost handlebars, stems, brakes, brifters, and forks. One guy had his fixed gear handlebars, brake lever and stem removed but the fork was left on perhaps because it was secured to the front axle by a regular nut.
There is a pitlock for stud mounted brakes and threadless stems.....the top bolt. I would then get a stem with non removable face plate so that if they want to take the bars the have to remove bar tape and one lever. Or you could try plugging the holes.

If you have a threaded stem you could alway try the over tightened wedge method...they would most likely need a hammer to get it loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.