Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's diesel. It's a sports car. It's a concept, for now, but VW management may decide to produce it and they might decide to sell it here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/11/detroit-2009-volkswagen-concept-bluesport-roadster-live/

I've owned a VW TDI before (wrecked it and my wife would not allow me to buy a replacement TDI because she equates diesels with high performance because of that car - it was chipped, with bigger nozzles, and a few other tweaks to the engine) so buying a diesel would not be out of the question for me. This could be my mid-life crisis car!

Thoughts?

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Make it an honest to goodness coupe, and we'll talk.
//doesn't really like most convertibles

I'd still rather have the Scirocco. Stupid VW. :(

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Uh, nowhere for the kid to sit...

Looks like fun, but impractical for our life. We have a commuter car and a truck. It seems to be a really good balance for our family.

·
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toomanybikes said:
Nice, looks like it must be based on the TT platform??
Yes, and no. This car has a mid-mounted engine. They took the chassis that is used for the TT, A3, A4, Golf (Rabbit here in the US), Jetta, Eos, Tiguan, and turn it around and run it essentially backwards.

My kids can walk. They don't get enough exercise anyway. I have to force them to go on bike rides with me.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I love the concept, and diesels are long overdue here. But based on the experiences of three friends who've bought Passats in the last few years, I'd rather have a Fiat or Yugo than a VW...something you can count on.
I seem to have reached the age where how I look in a car isn't as important as whether I can get to work in it....

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
diesels make awesome performance. Heck, the F350 we use to pull our boat is like a racecar. Albeit a very very heavy racecar.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
filtersweep said:
Seriously, why do Americans hate diesels so much? Chipped diesels are the rage here.
Americans don't hate diesels. They find no use for them for personal transportation. Gas is cheap here (and diesel is more expensive than gas).

G

·
Disel is cheaper than regular grade gasoline here.

Much cheaper than premium grade which my car takes.

A tank of diesel in my wife's car - 55 litres goes twice as far as 55 litres of premium fuel inmy car.

That makes Diesel MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
And of course you have to consider the fact that diesel engines are on average about 40% more fuel efficient than comparable gasoline engines :) Why do most people never factor that in?? I just helped a friend cosign on a used AT VW Jetta last week - gas engine. It's a 5-cylinder and CLAIMS to get about 20 MPH. The diesel version?? Try doubling that.

People people people.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Oh and to the OP, no I wouldn't buy that car - I already have a TDI Golf. But if you're talking about importing the Polo/Lupo... then we'll talk :thumbsup:

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
And of course you have to consider the fact that diesel engines are on average about 40% more fuel efficient than comparable gasoline engines :) Why do most people never factor that in?? I just helped a friend cosign on a used AT VW Jetta last week - gas engine. It's a 5-cylinder and CLAIMS to get about 20 MPH. The diesel version?? Try doubling that.

People people people.
Around here (DC area), I did some quick calculations a while back, and in terms of dollar spent on fuel, an efficient diesel was nearly a wash compared to a moderately efficient gas car. Diesel was, at the time, about 20% more expensive, and if you're talking about a gas car that gets around 30 mpg, the diesel doesn't cover the nut.

I'm pretty tempted by the new VW Diesel Jetta wagon thingy, though. I may not be saving money, but I'm still burning less fuel, which has its own appeal to me.

G

·
bikeboy389 said:
Around here (DC area), I did some quick calculations a while back, and in terms of dollar spent on fuel, an efficient diesel was nearly a wash compared to a moderately efficient gas car. Diesel was, at the time, about 20% more expensive, and if you're talking about a gas car that gets around 30 mpg, the diesel doesn't cover the nut.

I'm pretty tempted by the new VW Diesel Jetta wagon thingy, though. I may not be saving money, but I'm still burning less fuel, which has its own appeal to me.

Compare car to car.

My wife has a Passat wagon TDI, I have a Passat sedan with the gas engine.

Around town - 55 litres of gas gets me about 450 to 500 km. I mostly drive like I have an egg under the gas pedal.
Around town, her car - 55 litres of diesel gets 1200 km. She drives pretty much like the cops are after her.

Spring break - BC to AZ - I filles the wagon before we left, filled it again in Northern California, filled it again in Phoenix.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I've done the same calculations. Diesels might have a slight edge depending on the car you're putting it up against. Overall, it's a wash for high mileage gasoline burners. Even though diesel is fairly easy to find it's still not as abundant as gasoline in the neighborhoods. On the interstate no problemo. One problem right now is the clean diesel regs which put the kibosh on the older diesel models. Clean diesel engines are coming out but they aren't abundant yet. My son's got a Jetta TDI and access to free biodiesel. Now, that's the ticket. Last year he drove home (1,000 miles) for nada. He stuck three 5 gallon cans of biodiesel in his trunk (those Jettas have a HUGE trunk), filled up once and had 200 more miles to go once he got home. We're talkin' real biodiesel here, not McDonalds frier [email protected] If I was in his shoes I'd have the new Jetta TDI in a heartbeat. Dam the poor repair record. Better yet, the upcoming Audi A3 TDI, I'm partial to AWD in my climate.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
"Expect a 0-60 of 6.2 seconds and a top speed of 140, all while returning about 35 mpg on the European cycle and upwards of 62 mpg in "Eco" mode."

Where do I sign?

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
"Expect a 0-60 of 6.2 seconds and a top speed of 140, all while returning about 35 mpg on the European cycle and upwards of 62 mpg in "Eco" mode."

Where do I sign?
wolfsburg.

·
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cory said:
I love the concept, and diesels are long overdue here. But based on the experiences of three friends who've bought Passats in the last few years, I'd rather have a Fiat or Yugo than a VW...something you can count on.
I seem to have reached the age where how I look in a car isn't as important as whether I can get to work in it....
My last two cars were VW Jettas: a '98 Jetta TDI with a chip, larger injectors, and a few other mods done to improve HP and torque. I crashed it on a rainy day in '06 with 168,000 trouble-free miles on it and replaced it with an '06 GLI. The GLI has been trouble-free, too, currently at 40,000 miles. I may have been lucky with my cars but I just haven't seen any of the issues that people complain about.

RoadBikeVirgin said:
Oh and to the OP, no I wouldn't buy that car - I already have a TDI Golf. But if you're talking about importing the Polo/Lupo... then we'll talk :thumbsup:
With regards to getting a small two-seater TDI, I'd do it. Again, it'll be my mid-life crisis car and it would be more economical than the Porsche Cayman S or Lotus Exige that I really want right now.
Do you have any modifications on your TDI? I used to be a moderator on Fred's TDI Club back in the day.
I saw a Lupo (not TDI, though) on the streets of San Francisco a few years back. I think it had Mexican plates on it. Didn't they replace the Lupo with a newer car with a different name? Fox or some thing like that? I recall lusting after the 3 liter Lupo. That car would have given the hybrids a very good run for their money especially because it returned as good or better mileage than even the Honda Insight did. It's a smaller car than the Mini, though bigger than the Smart so now, with the US public more willing to buy small cars, I think it would sell well.

Mel Erickson said:
I've done the same calculations. Diesels might have a slight edge depending on the car you're putting it up against. Overall, it's a wash for high mileage gasoline burners. Even though diesel is fairly easy to find it's still not as abundant as gasoline in the neighborhoods. On the interstate no problemo.
It's interesting to note that most TDI owners actually get or exceed the old EPA fuel economy numbers, you know, the ones that the hybrid owners were having difficulty achieving so they changed the way they do the test to have more "real world" numbers? Compared with the same model car a diesel achieves about 40% better mileage. With a few tweaks you can improve this slightly and actually get a little bit more power to go with it. The equation for savings improves the longer you keep the vehicle. I tend to own cars until the wheels fall off so this is not an issue for me.
As far as finding gas stations that sell diesel, with a range of over 500 miles it never really is an issue. I recall driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles, driving around LA being a tourist, then heading back towards SF. My wife freaked out because I filled the tank in SF and we had not stopped for fuel again and we were heading home, about 500 miles into the trip. She screamed in my ear to stop for fuel after I refused to stop because there was still a quarter tank of fuel left to go and fuel stops out on Highway 5 would have fresher and cheaper diesel available. I lost that fight and almost lost an ear drum, too. I used to drive that car like I stole it and regularly averaged 40 MPG. With my GLI I have to drive it slowly to average 25 MPG (but I can probably get 35MPG out on the open highway where my TDI used to get about 50+).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Squidward said:
With regards to getting a small two-seater TDI, I'd do it. Again, it'll be my mid-life crisis car and it would be more economical than the Porsche Cayman S or Lotus Exige that I really want right now.
Do you have any modifications on your TDI? I used to be a moderator on Fred's TDI Club back in the day.
I saw a Lupo (not TDI, though) on the streets of San Francisco a few years back. I think it had Mexican plates on it. Didn't they replace the Lupo with a newer car with a different name? Fox or some thing like that? I recall lusting after the 3 liter Lupo. That car would have given the hybrids a very good run for their money especially because it returned as good or better mileage than even the Honda Insight did. It's a smaller car than the Mini, though bigger than the Smart so now, with the US public more willing to buy small cars, I think it would sell well.
The only modification I have to my TDI is a "tuning box" - my old roommate used to work for a big VW dealership, and it was pulled off of a trade-in Beetle TDI. It didn't require much of an adjustment. Otherwise everything is stock. I love the mileage, but continual and abrupt switches between B99 and ULSD over the past couple years has me needing to replace the injection pump seals. I finally found someone in Portland that is willing to do it for me, so I'm dropping my car off the night before I ride the Reach the Beach ride with my friend in May :)
And the only forum I'm a member of (other than RBR, obviously) is TDIClub.

I'm not sure of the whole Lupo/Polo thing. I just remember reading an article a while back about a 1.3L turbo diesel VW that is only sold in Europe - supposedly it averaged 70-80MPG. Now THAT is a car I'd trade in for :)

·
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A "Poor man's" tuning box is an Evry mod. Done right it will give you a boost in torque and not cause any codes. Basically, it tricks the ECU into thinking that something inside the fuel pump is not where the ECU wants it so the ECU compensates which increases the fuel delivered to the engine. I ran one of these on my TDI, hooked up to a switch under the dash and a small pot to adjust the resistance value. Leave it off and the car runs in economy mode. Flick it on and I had an instant 40 or so extra ft/lbs of torque. The only problem with a black box is that it doesn't do anything for the actual boost pressure from the turbo unlike a chip which increases the boost for even more power.

These days if I had your car I would set it up with a set of Kerma TDI's PP520 nozzles, set the fuel value at the fuel pump to a 3 or 3.5 for improved fuel economy, and an Evry mod hooked up to an on/off switch to give me the extra power on demand. Either that or hook up a momentary switch under the throttle pedal so that the Evry mod is activated automatically at full throttle. Just try to keep out of the boost under 2000 RPMs for fear of grenading the turbo.

That's the 3 liter Lupo. The 3-liter reference is because they measure how many liters of fuel it takes to drive 100 kilometers, 62 miles. The smaller the number the better. 3 liters to drive 62 miles is about 78 MPG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts