Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help here. New car shopping time. My wife drives a Passat with the TDI engine, great car and gets about 40 MPG around town ( she has two speeds). She hasn't done enough highway time for me to know what it gets there.

I'm looking at the Jetta wagon with the TDI and the dealers are telling me that the wagon is to be dis-continued at the end of this model year. To be replaced with another variant, possibly a stretched hatchback type thing (??)

Do any of our regulars in Europe or Australia have any scoop on what this version may be, what on earth does it look like, any better / worse than wagon ? Anyone got pictures?

Any help I can get on this one would be appreciated.

TMB.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the rear end of the new Jetta and Passat looks like a Chevy Cavalier or some other nondescript low-end American car?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Scotty2Hotty said:
www.google.com

I googled 2007 Jetta Wagon. Took 10 seconds. :D

Well I guess KISS is right. I'm googling things like replacement for jetta wagon, etc. Got all sorts of useless links to car rental agencies in europe and danish sex toy sites !!

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
I don't like the new VWs, though the R32 is sweet. Costs too much, IMO.

That R32 has an awesome exhaust. The sound can rattle your gonads.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Are you guys happy with the Passat?

I have three friends with 2005 and 2006 Passats, and they've had incredible problems with 'em. Some are dealer-related--the local guy is notoriously bad, so much so that people drive 130 miles to Sacramento or 250 to the Bay Area to avoid him. But the cars themselves have just been terrible, one problem after another. Considering the fairly small number of sales compared to, say, Camry and Accord, there are a ton of Passats on the local used market, too. People are getting rid of them at 10,000-15,000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Cory said:
I have three friends with 2005 and 2006 Passats, and they've had incredible problems with 'em. Some are dealer-related--the local guy is notoriously bad, so much so that people drive 130 miles to Sacramento or 250 to the Bay Area to avoid him. But the cars themselves have just been terrible, one problem after another. Considering the fairly small number of sales compared to, say, Camry and Accord, there are a ton of Passats on the local used market, too. People are getting rid of them at 10,000-15,000 miles.
We are on our third Passat - have had no problems with any of them. Absolutely trouble free cars.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
toomanybikes said:
We are on our third Passat - have had no problems with any of them. Absolutely trouble free cars.

I've got a 2001 Passat Wagon (all-wheel-drive 4Motion, V6) and it is a dream. I intend to drive it into the ground. All I do is add gas and change the oil...

The only weakness has been the paint, a little bit. It seems more fragile than other vehicles I've had, but nothing serious.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
The Jetta was a good looking car. They killed it with that new bloated body style. I'd snatch up an older one before they're all gone. The only advantage of the new one is probably some safety improvements.

How much driving do you do a year? Did you do the math on the gas mileage and how much it will really save you in the long run (factoring in price of new car, depreciation, etc.)? What are you driving now? If you don't drive much it might make more sense to just buy something used that gets worse mileage.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I don't like the new VWs, though the R32 is sweet. Costs too much, IMO.

That R32 has an awesome exhaust. The sound can rattle your gonads.
I drove one and the exhaust is a beautiful tone. A very racy crescendo that makes you want to only shift at the redline.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Henry Chinaski said:
The Jetta was a good looking car. They killed it with that new bloated body style. I'd snatch up an older one before they're all gone. The only advantage of the new one is probably some safety improvements.

How much driving do you do a year? Did you do the math on the gas mileage and how much it will really save you in the long run (factoring in price of new car, depreciation, etc.)? What are you driving now? If you don't drive much it might make more sense to just buy something used that gets worse mileage.

Actually snooping around to see if I can snag up a used Jetta Wagon and save some dough.

Interesting thing here is that even with the recent hikes in gas prices, diesel has not gone up. Right now diesel is almost $0.60 a gallon cheaper than regular unleaded.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
You bastid, I'm going to drive my sweet Passat out to your podunk town and beat the living crap out of your overweight ass. Then I'm going to eat a few Chicago style dogs, get in my sweet Passat, and drive back to civilization. :rolleyes:

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
jtolleson said:
I've got a 2001 Passat Wagon (all-wheel-drive 4Motion, V6) and it is a dream. I intend to drive it into the ground. All I do is add gas and change the oil...

The only weakness has been the paint, a little bit. It seems more fragile than other vehicles I've had, but nothing serious.
Same here. I have an '03 wagon with about 53,000 miles on it. I change the oil now and then and it runs like a dream.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
mickey-mac said:
You bastid, I'm going to drive my sweet Passat out to your podunk town and beat the living crap out of your overweight ass. Then I'm going to eat a few Chicago style dogs, get in my sweet Passat, and drive back to civilization. :rolleyes:

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I know a guy who played ball with Matombo at G'Town. He has a great story about Matombo and a telephone bill that was so big it was delivered in a shoe box. But to answer the question, I'll pass on the Dkembe-sex. I'll bet Teh Js will hit it next time Blondie's out of town on bidness.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Have an 04 Golf

And overall it is a pretty good car. Came from a 96 Jetta that sucked goat [email protected] Literally worst car that I have ever owned (which honestly ain't too many, but enough). Both are automatics.

Volkswagen is still figuring out how to build an automatic.

I would love to drive one of the new GTIs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon that I love. I haven't had any problems with it yet. It does seem to eat oil though, I have to check it now and then. It's a stick shift, not sure if that matters at all.
It's also a great biking car. I can fit at least 3 on top and a few in the back when the seats are folded down.
I also like my style better than the new ones. The new one look too much like a Corolla.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts