Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've just received what is perhaps the prettiest toy you can imagine (and I know what sort of imaginations you lot have, so that's safe.), however...

The bottom of the steerer tube appears to be missing its bearing. Is this deliberate? It doesn't seem like a very good 'engineering' quality, having the top of the carbon forks rubbing directly on to a spacer at the bottom of the steerer, and it looks like the forks are shaped for a bearing race.

Anyone riding this bike able to enlighten me?

Just so's you know, it's a VXRS Ulteam frameset. Picture will follow, if I ever get the forks attached!

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Jaims said:
Well, I've just received what is perhaps the prettiest toy you can imagine (and I know what sort of imaginations you lot have, so that's safe.), however...

The bottom of the steerer tube appears to be missing its bearing. Is this deliberate? It doesn't seem like a very good 'engineering' quality, having the top of the carbon forks rubbing directly on to a spacer at the bottom of the steerer, and it looks like the forks are shaped for a bearing race.

Anyone riding this bike able to enlighten me?

Just so's you know, it's a VXRS Ulteam frameset. Picture will follow, if I ever get the forks attached!

That seems strange because my VXRS came with the fork and hs installed and adjusted. I just had to cut the steering tube to choosen length. It really sounds like you got an incomplete module.

Did you call the dealer? Time Sport USA customer service can be reached at 877.727.7661. I've talked to Chris there a few times and he's very helpful.

I wouldn't blame you for being pissed. I hope your get sorted out. I'm sure it will. It better for that much $$$$.

Anyway, I bet once you do you'll love riding it... I know I love riding mine.

Good luck.

P.S. It should look like this when assembled correctly. Oh... ignore the green lines, that's about something else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - thanks for sharing the pictures - it's hardly worthy posting any of mine because it'll look almost exactly the same (slightly more red graphics on the frame and Carbon Neutrons in place of the Boras!).

Of course right now it doesn't look so great because it's in bits on the floor!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after much deliberating, I finally decided to assemble the forks without a rolling-element bearing, and what do you know - it works perfectly! Apparently LOOK use the same system (no major surprise there) so it can't be all bad.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I assume you were talking about the lower bearing race on the fork? As you've found it's integrated in carbon to save a little weight. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
almost there...

The forks and everything else is on, just a little cabling to go and then I have to work out how to post pictures to the newsgroup!

Of course the ASX Titan cranks haven't turned up yet, so it's currently weighed down with a rather tasteful set of pressed aluminium Veloce cranks... nice bearings, shame they weigh as much as the rest of the bike!

I just picked up my CAAD4 Cannondale R500 and almost toppled over. And I thought that was light with the Ksyriums, but compared to the time machine it feels like it just fell out of a foundry. I hope I can do the VXRS justice up the hills in a couple of weeks, where it'll get used in anger in its first race. 'cos it's still summer here in NZ :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow it's so sexy!

Well, here it is, in all it's carbony glory. I know rocco's Boras look tasty, but I think the classic beauty of the carbon Neutrons really works. Climbs like a dream, and I just won my first race on this (flat for the last part - could have really used those deep rims then! Maybe a set of 808's for Christmas!)

Thanks for all your help. I can't believe how nice this bike is to ride. Fortunately I'm not as strong as Tom Boonen, so don't think I'm likley to run into the same problems as him!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Holly cow, that is a super nice bike. Why dont you give us a full review. Also, congratulations on your win. You must be very flexible judging by the amount of drop from the saddle to the bars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very Sweet Ride

Nice bike Jaims!
I also culdn't help notice the saddle to bar drop. Wow!!
I thought I was doing well to put my palms down on my toes.
You must be able to itch them with your elbows!!!:D
Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts