Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or..What Would a New Guy Do?
Well I've posted a few questions here and there and have gottne great help.
Here's another one.
Newbie "out of retirement" question.
I have a Surly CrossCheck. Speced out with older descent parts...nothing fancy (Older 8speed utlegra, older Icon bar &cockpit Older Velomax wheels..all low milage and great shape).
Sell the frame and get a budget aluminum frame that would be lighter(Scattante or Ebay or whatever)
Or better spec the Crosscheck?

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rkj__ said:
Well, to get good answers, first tell why you feel you need to change things. You say your bike currently has decent parts that are in great shape. What type of improvements are you looking for?
I'm looking to save a bit of weight and squeeze some performance out..probably be better and cheaper to work on me, but that's no fun...lol

· Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Personally, I would leave it alone for this season. You say you are just getting back into it. I doubt the equipment you specify above will be holding you back. Ride it this year and save money for next season when you will be performing better, and could better utilize the upgrades.

· Registered
584 Posts
I have read all about the cross check and lemond propad, but this last week I actually got to see them both in person in an out of town LBS. While the cross check was nice, the propad was so much nicer and lighter that I know I can't buy a cross check if there is any chance I'd ever do a cross race.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
vanjr said:
I have read all about the cross check and lemond propad, but this last week I actually got to see them both in person in an out of town LBS. While the cross check was nice, the propad was so much nicer and lighter that I know I can't buy a cross check if there is any chance I'd ever do a cross race.
This post reminds me of those women who buy dresses two sizes too small because they're planning on losing weight.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I like light bikes as much as the next person but my race bike is consistently over 22#s (60cm, steel). That's for a singlespeed with a lot of good stuff (Thomson, DA or Ultegra, Pauls, tubulars, blah, blah). I'm not sure how everyone else in the world consistently manages to post fully geared bikes that are 5+#s lighter.

Maybe the extra weight makes a difference, but IMO fitness and handling skills are of primary importance, followed by things like the reliability, fit and familiarity of your gear. Weight is last on my list (after color coordination) and I wouldn't sacrifice any of these other factors to lose a couple pounds, which is the most you are going to save swapping a CrossCheck frameset for something Al in a similar price range.

If you are using the stock fork, you could save nearly a pound by swapping in a CF/Al steerer fork (but again, not really worth it if the performance suffers).

· Registered
584 Posts
Maybe you are right. The cross check was nice, but if I had to choose which to drive I'd take the propad over the cross check. Its probably like preferring one car over another. That said, it wasn't just weight. Looks, bar end shifters vs. not, brand appeal, etc. I do realize I am just as fast (er, slow) on my 21 lbs. bike as my 16 lbs one.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
vanjr said:
Maybe you are right. The cross check was nice, but if I had to choose which to drive I'd take the propad over the cross check. Its probably like preferring one car over another. That said, it wasn't just weight. Looks, bar end shifters vs. not, brand appeal, etc. I do realize I am just as fast (er, slow) on my 21 lbs. bike as my 16 lbs one.
The Poprad's MSRP is $1650. The complete Crosscheck as spec'd by Surly can be had for under $1000. I'm not sure how useful a comparison you can draw between the two with respect to weight and componentry (STI vs. bar ends) given that huge price disparity. Brand appeal and looks are obviously a personal preference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.