Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The official giro web site is saying that the stage is cancelled and RAI, cyclingnews and eurosport are saying that the stage is being amputated the final Plan de Corones climb due to the bad conditions. Velonews is saying that the race has been routed around the Passo delle Erbe. Confused?! In any case, *snif* {wipes tear away} .. I was soooo looking forward to the some good racing today!

Meanwhile, the riders are still riding...

A+

Philippe

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clarification from cyclingnews...

<i>15:09 CEST
The stage has not been cancelled. Sorry that was my typo. They have just shortened the stage and cut off the top part of Passo delle Erbe, which is the first climb, because of the bad weather. At this point they are still doing the dirt section at the finish.</i>

I am breathing easier now...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
lousylegs said:
also from cyclingnews - the riders will have to take a gondola down the mountain at the end of the stage. :eek:
Well it sounds like they're going to have to move the finish down the mountain as the top will be unrideable? Hopefully, they will rather than have rider after rider grind to a halt at the top and end up just neutralizing the whole stage. Or maybe it's not as bad as is being reported.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Oln

Something is wrong on your settings. I am watching live with no problem.

If they go around the valley, does that mean that the climb up to Corones is that much longer. The climb after Corones actually starts still in the mountains, the riders were not going to come all the way back to the valley floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dan0930 said:
what is up with this weaksauce display.

Andy Hampsten didn't cry cause of a few snowflakes

Amen to that. Is this cycling, or tennis? First the finishing gravel was paved because of whining racers and directors, now the stage keeps getting cut! Horror of horrors that something unexpected might happen!! To race directors want Armstrongesque turpitude in race results! Snore......

·
Registered
450 Posts
cut the stage OR ELSE

ampastoral said:
stopping 5.5 km from the original finish. i guess no 24%......
My guess is the riders/teams were threatening not to ride at all unless some serious concessions were made.

Maybe the organization should have planned a little better than to pave the final climb just as the race was starting in Belgium.

Really takes the most anticipated stage of this year's Giro and backbone of this final week and pretty well disolves it. They'll race the final 13 or 14k but that's it. (the last 5.5k of the corones have been eliminated).

So, does this mean all the teams have the wrong gearing for today?!

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
philippec said:
yep, and now they are scrambling to move the finish line and related infrastructure down the mountain on undriveable roads... I love this!!
overheard in the peloton, "hey, i'll race you to the stop sign half way up the hill....ready, go!"

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Argentius said:
Blah -- the exciting stage we were all waiting for since the Giro was announced, not to be. How do you say "C'est la vie" in Italian?
Easy...

Bring your hands up to your chest level, turn them so that the palms face up, scrunch your shoulders/arms up in an exagerated motion and utter "eh"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.