Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Andrea138 said:
They sure don't make cartoons like they used to.
I was a kid back in the 70's and my brother and I would watch the "Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour" every Saturday morning religiously. I loved those old Warner Brothers cartoons and all of the characters....Bugs, Daffy, Foghorn Leghorn, Wile E. Coyote, the Road Runner, Pepe Le Pew, etc. Lots of good times. And you're right, they don't make them like that any more.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
BobH said:
Chuck Jones was genius behind them all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Jones
Well, he was definitely behind most of my favorite ones, but you can't discount the contributions of Tex Avery and Friz Freleng to the Warner Bros. cartoon canon. Chuck was probably the best, but he was far from the only. He got really schmaltzy in his later years, though. Too gentle and sincere--I like to refer to it as his Eyelashes Period. Just about any character drawings he did around the time of (and after) The Grinch has absurdly long and prominent eyelashes. WTF?

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
q_and_a said:
You might Rabbit, You might.
Would I turn on the gas if my friend Rocky was in there?

Brilliant.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
PDex said:
There were three that worked this schtick--Duck, Rabbit, Duck, Rabbit Seasoning and something else--I forget the name. Only one of them is really funny, though. The others aren't nearly as clever.

My fave WB cartoon from the heyday has to be Duck Amuck, though. Self-referential, and funny as all hell.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
There would be no Looney Tunes if not for Mel Blanc.
this is exactly why i reopened this thread: to add that name. t'was a sad day in my life when he died.

Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester the Cat, Tweety Bird, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam, Wile E. Coyote, Woody Woodpecker, Barney Rubble, Mr. Spacely, Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, Heathcliff

....to name a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Blanc

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
PDex said:
Would I turn on the gas if my friend Rocky was in there?

Brilliant.

Would I light this match if my friend Rocky was in there?

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Bwana! Bwana!

Pardon me, but could you help a fellow American who's down on his luck?

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
azpeterb said:
I was a kid back in the 70's and my brother and I would watch the "Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour" every Saturday morning religiously. I loved those old Warner Brothers cartoons and all of the characters....Bugs, Daffy, Foghorn Leghorn, Wile E. Coyote, the Road Runner, Pepe Le Pew, etc. Lots of good times. And you're right, they don't make them like that any more.
^^^^ All of this!

My favorite of the group was Wile E. Coyote (Suuuuper Geeeenius)

But someone just posted a screen shot of my single favorite cartoon, just the other day when someone killed a rabbit while NNCing. The Opera (I forget the name of the episode) with Bugs and Elmer. Pure, classic genius. I really have to get my kids into those. I could spend all of saturday morning watching that, even in my mid 40s.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
^^^^ All of this!

My favorite of the group was Wile E. Coyote (Suuuuper Geeeenius)

But someone just posted a screen shot of my single favorite cartoon, just the other day when someone killed a rabbit while NNCing. The Opera (I forget the name of the episode) with Bugs and Elmer. Pure, classic genius. I really have to get my kids into those. I could spend all of saturday morning watching that, even in my mid 40s.
Ha ha...that was me! I was the guy who ran over poor Mr. Bunny while NNCing. I do remember that cartoon, with Elmer Fudd crying after he thought he killed Bugs. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts