Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a friend who is doing a kind of modern/retro - old school Campy ride. Because of his unique tastes he wants No Carbon but wants to run 10. Can a 9 speed record rear der (pre CF) run a 10 speed?It should have the movement but is the chain / pulley inetrface an issue?

thx

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
9spd derailleurs

atpjunkie said:
have a friend who is doing a kind of modern/retro - old school Campy ride. Because of his unique tastes he wants No Carbon but wants to run 10. Can a 9 speed record rear der (pre CF) run a 10 speed?It should have the movement but is the chain / pulley inetrface an issue?
If the rear derailleur is 2001 or later, it will work just fine with 10spd shifters. 2000 and earlier derailleurs will also work, but not as well (Campagnolo changed 9spd derailleur geometry in 2001 to match 10spd geometry).

A 10spd chain should work acceptably with 9spd pulleys.

·
Bike Rider
52 Posts
Yes, a post 2001 9spd rear derailleur will work with 10spd ergos (just to doubly assure you). My 9spd pulleys on my Mirage rear derailleur say "C9/C10" on them, which suggests a 10spd chain will work fine with the 9spd pulleys.

The way you tell if a derailleur is pre 2001 or not is the adjustment screw near the gear hanger bolt, which rests on the nib on your frame dropout. Pre 2001 derailleurs have them and post 2001 don't - simple. Instead, post 2001 derailleurs have the screw on the cage near the top pulley wheel. I apologise for my bad description!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts