Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
yeah but that's a no-name brand that's terrible
terrible as in maybe not as good as a $300 Elemnt, but vastly superior to any Garmin product made, and obviously better than any Reflekt or nonGPS non in my experience. Also these Brytons get 33 hour runtime - seriously superior for this market. My Garmin 810 would die after riding 3.5 hours - bah!

'no-name'? you pulled that from where the sun don't shine. Small but fast growing brand, like Wahoo was a couple years ago. Garmin has left the door wide open with their sh!tty products it seems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Besides being nicer looking what's the real difference between this and the old RFLKT?
Btw I am not knocking the RFLKT, I have one and it works just like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Pretty good 10 minute video from Shane Miller here (includes a blender - worth a watch!)

I already have a Bolt, and need Power on most of my rides, so (not having) that is the deal breaker for me, otherwise, this thing looks pretty attractive at $99. Especially that 1 year battery life. I could definitely go for that!

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
From a form factor standpoint, I think it looks cool. I'd love it for the TT bike, but the fact that you HAVE to have your phone on you for GPS and the fact that it doesn't connect to power meter, makes that a no-go for me.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
All right, who bought this and has anything to share? I'll start: I want to like this computer, but here are the issues I've faced:

1) Phone power consumption is pretty high on an iPhone 5 (BT 4.0). On 2 40-minute rides, the phone burned 8 percentage points of battery. On a 1h 40min ride over the weekend, the phone burned through about 28 percentage points of its charge.

I do run location services for two apps (Nest and IFTTT), but those have exerted low power drain. My phone did report that the vast majority of the drain was from the Wahoo app.

It is not the phone battery being old - I just replaced the battery with an OEM-spec battery, and a battery app confirmed that the battery is reporting capacity identical to the original spec (1,440 mAh specced, 1,437 mAh max capacity reported by the battery I put in).

2) The unit has lost contact with the sensors. I lost contact with the speed sensor a few days ago, after a pit stop (my speed reading was stuck at 3.9 mph). After some fiddling, I decided to have the phone forget the sensor, then paired it again ... only after successfully re-connecting, the unit didn't increment my total distance.

Then, today, on a new ride, the cadence sensor seems to have been lost. I had put a fresh battery in it, because its battery seems to have died in the store.

3) Speaking of distance not incrementing on the unit, for some reason, when I tried to start my weekend ride, the unit displayed speed and cadence readings but didn't increment the distance. I think I ended up restarting the unit, but I'm not 100% sure what I did to resolve it.

4) The app doesn't automatically upload to Strava, despite me enabling that function. Since installing it, it has not auto-uploaded a single ride.

5) I manually uploaded my weekend ride, which was a mini-FTP session, to Strava. I used the lap function, as I was hoping to have Strava estimate my wattage for a couple of segments.

What do you know, the phone only uploaded a GPS track for what looks like the last segment of the ride. The Wahoo app did appear to display speed and cadence data for the full ride. But there wasn't an obvious way to select any particular segment to upload to Strava, so I assumed the whole ride would upload (not to mention the problem in 4).

I didn't notice any notification that I'd lost my phone pairing. That's the most likely explanation for having no GPS track. This ride was the one where I thought I had sensor contact at the start of the ride but the total distance wasn't incrementing.

On point 1, I need to note that while all the BT 4 standards are classified as low energy standards (compared to the prior ones), I believe that the BT 4.1 and 4.2 standards should be more efficient. From Googling, it looks like in BT 4.1, developers may be able to specify a reconnection timeout interval, whereas in BT 4.0, they're stuck with one setting. Wahoo may have optimized that interval for this particular use case, but I may be stuck with a shorter reconnection timeout interval because of my phone hardware. I can't verify this information, because this isn't my specialty. That said, it's possible. Moreover, later smartphones may use location services more efficiently, and they usually have larger capacity batteries.

Bluetooth 4.1: what is it and why should you care? | Trusted Reviews

Other technical notes: I have a steel bike (and actually, my whole fleet is steel). I carry my phone in my center jersey pocket. I think I heard that Wahoo has recommended carrying phones in side pockets? Not sure if I'm misremembering.

Anyway, I want to like this unit. If it worked as promised, I am fairly sure I would. If my experience is typical, then it's pretty clear the unit isn't ready for prime time right now.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I didn't read all of this, but, if you haven't, I would strongly suggest you report all of this to Wahoo via a support ticket.

It's been my experience that they are very responsive to issues.

In addition to that, if you end up with a warranty issue, they will have a historic record of your problems.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Dropping sensors is something they had issues with on the Elemant when it came out I believe from a previous post. Took some time to get it corrected through firmware upgrades. If this one is similar, sounds like they hit the market way too fast again letting the consumer work out the bugs instead of fixing things before taking people's money.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dropping sensors is something they had issues with on the Elemant when it came out I believe from a previous post. Took some time to get it corrected through firmware upgrades. If this one is similar, sounds like they hit the market way too fast again letting the consumer work out the bugs instead of fixing things before taking people's money.
hmmm...sounds a lot like another popular company...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the mini for a week now and it seems quite buggy: the custom fields I set up keep resetting themselves back to the default screens.
The ‘distance’ and ‘average speed’ fields don’t always work and they remain at zero throughout the ride.
I have a work around for this namely, before every ride keep resetting the display fields (sometimes you get several duplicates, like two cadence screens, if this happens reset again) and spin the wheel, if it registers then you are good to go… if not reset screens again and repeat… (I **** you not!).
The auto-upload to third party sites does not work yet.
This is what I have to do until wahoo have a software update…
other than that and a few minor hiccups, the unit is very light and looks good.... I just wish it would work properly

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
hmmm...sounds a lot like another popular company...
General consensus on Wahoo is they listen to feedback then do updates that actually fix bugs and make the unit better. The Elemnt is a good example of this.

Unlike Garmin who never really fixes a lot of issues, then and rarely releases updates that again, don't actually make the unit run better, then introduces a new unit that has as many, yet different, teething problems as the prior model. The 520 may be the only recent unit that is relatively trouble free, going back to the 800. The 810, 820 and 1000 all have many reported reliability and functional problems. It's remarkable to me that you can spend north of $400 on a Garmin 1000 and get some of the problems I read about.

Sorry, but I'm done with Garmin

Anybody want a 18 mos. old 810 - $120 ?.

·
Registered
269 Posts
General consensus on Wahoo is they listen to feedback then do updates that actually fix bugs and make the unit better. The Elemnt is a good example of this.

Unlike Garmin who never really fixes a lot of issues, then and rarely releases updates that again, don't actually make the unit run better, then introduces a new unit that has as many, yet different, teething problems as the prior model. The 520 may be the only recent unit that is relatively trouble free, going back to the 800. The 810, 820 and 1000 all have many reported reliability and functional problems. It's remarkable to me that you can spend north of $400 on a Garmin 1000 and get some of the problems I read about.

Sorry, but I'm done with Garmin

Anybody want a 18 mos. old 810 - $120 ?.
That's all great. The most common complaint I hear regarding Garmin is that they release buggy stuff to be tested and worked out on folks who spend $ on the products. I find it interesting that Wahoo appears to be taking exactly the same track...I have no horse in this race so it's just an observation.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts