Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the net but there seem to be few objective (non-wahoo generated) reviews for this product.

I am getting an Iphone 4s, and I want to use it as a cycle computer and a map guide. It seems like the best product out there as a solid iPhone mount and cadence sensor in one.

My usual ride is a 2-3 hour hammer fest. So I am hoping battery life wont be an issue.

Anyone use one of these?
How long will your battery last if you run the screen and both maps and the Wahoo app?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have been thinking about getting one of these as well and I am curious to hear from those who have the Wahoo Fitness already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another Biased Review...

I hope somebody gives an objective review. But I can't help myself... I ride a lot and founded the company because I thought riding with my iPhone on the bars would be awesome and I couldn't believe nobody else was doing it. The case works well, you can pick the App you like. There are lots to choose from. Our App lets you send your data to multiple sites at once, like Garmin Connect, MapMyRide and Strava. With a 4S you should have no problem with 3 hours, but you'll need to start with a full battery and you'll end up with a low battery. I always use the spare battery we sell, because I ride in the morning and I can finish a 3 hour ride with a fully charged iPhone. That tends to be a better way to start the day for me.

Chip from Wahoo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had mine for about 2 months now and honestly love it.....it has solved the issues of where to stick my iPhone when I ride. It reads all of my sensors and has an easily readable display. I like that I can upload to Garmin Connect and get all my data, charts, etc. For me it is a no brainer.......your going to take you phone with you anyways, why not strap it to your bar and get some use out of it. I am thinking of getting the extended battery pack.....probably worth the money, but it's a little steep for me right now.

·
Banned
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip, thanks for the feedback, looks like a great product, just fairly new so there arent too many reviews yet.

I ride with my iPod alot so having my iPod, GPS maps, cycle computer w/ cadence and iPhone all in one is ideal. A holographic display would be nice, Apple....

It does get pricey with the extra battery and cadence sensor. The battery life is a bit of let down but I dont ride that long anyways.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I took up riding again about the time Apple released the iPhone 3GS and I made a mount to use my iPhone on the stem. Back then I used (and still do at times) Motion GPS app to track all my rides and email them to friends who followed my weight loss program, since then I have bought a Garmin 500 GPS cycle computer simply because of much longer battery life than the iPhone which tends to be around 4-5 hours when GPS software is running.

Earlier the year I bought the Wahoo ANT+ dongle (not the mount case), not so much to use it to track my rides but rather as powerful ANT+ diagnostic tool on my iPhone 4S along with their Wahoo Utility App which has proven extremely useful for testing, trouble shooting other peoples issues with ANT+ sensors for speed, cadence and especially Heart Rate straps etc. Also useful for looking looking at other riders data as they pass by on the track.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just bought the Wahoo package last night through Amazon and it should arrive on Thursday. I can't wait to install it and take it for a test ride.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds good. I should receive the wahoo fitness package today (didn't get the extended battery) but I would like to know how it is and how much weight it adds. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Another happy customer here. I've got the heart rate monitor, ANT+ key and speed/cadence sensor. The Wahoo iPhone app is very good too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using one for a few months now. I generally run strava app in the background and wahoo fitness in the foreground. I turn off wifi but leave 3G on. My phones battery usually goes from full to zero in a little less than 3 hours. With the extended battery when the phone gets to 2% you turn it on and get another 5 hours. I didn't like having a dead phone in some of the remote areas I cycle so apart from now being able to record the entire ride I know I'll still be able to call for help 3 hours in. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bluetooth technology v/s Ant+ against windy rides. WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE???

Hi there... I have a Garmin Edge 800, but I wish to switch to my iPhone. I know the Edge 800 is top of the art, but the thing is, I am always carrying my iPhone with me, so why not reduce the amount of devices while riding?
I don't care if the iPhone GPS is not as great as the Edge 800, I don't care if the battery life is less (I always ride 2 hours exactly), etcetera, etcetera..... the only thing I do care is the HR signal against the wind!!!

It always happens that when I'm going downhill (I live in the Andes Mountains, so going downhill I can get up to 90kms/hr easily) or when the day is too windy, then my HR signal gets crazy, and it always goes too high.
It's not about battery life and I always wash my chest strap after every single ride.

So, it is simply the Wind.
I used to have a Polar, which was quite good against this issue.
The Garmin is not so good either in terms of HR signal, but is the best in GPS.

So, back to the Wahoo devices:
For a quite a while I have been searching on weather to acquire the Wahoo Bike bundle with Bluetooth technology or the older Ant+ technology.

I've been searching everywhere to see if someone posts the real difference in HR signal strength.

Does anyone know which technology is best against Wind and interferences????
Should I go for the ANT+ bundle or get the latest with Bluetooth technology???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi there... I have a Garmin Edge 800, but I wish to switch to my iPhone. I know the Edge 800 is top of the art, but the thing is, I am always carrying my iPhone with me, so why not reduce the amount of devices while riding?
I don't care if the iPhone GPS is not as great as the Edge 800, I don't care if the battery life is less (I always ride 2 hours exactly), etcetera, etcetera..... the only thing I do care is the HR signal against the wind!!!

It always happens that when I'm going downhill (I live in the Andes Mountains, so going downhill I can get up to 90kms/hr easily) or when the day is too windy, then my HR signal gets crazy, and it always goes too high.
It's not about battery life and I always wash my chest strap after every single ride.

So, it is simply the Wind.
The Garmin is not so good either in terms of HR signal, but is the best in GPS.

For a quite a while I have been searching on weather to acquire the Wahoo Bike bundle with Bluetooth technology or the older Ant+ technology.

I've been searching everywhere to see if someone posts the real difference in HR signal strength.

Does anyone know which technology is best against Wind and interferences????
Should I go for the ANT+ bundle or get the latest with Bluetooth technology???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi Chip... Great idea of starting this company. I've thought about this for such a long time too, but I just never got the guts or the investors. So I'm very glad someone finally did.Since early last year I've been seeing all your posts, videos, products, etcetera, but I still haven't made the switch, because I have one specific question. I did ask this on your webpage even before your Bluetooth monitor was out there in the market (but you were already promoting it), but it never got answered. So, now I'm back. The question is quite simple: Which HR signal is stronger against wind and interferences, using the Bike Bundle with ANT+ technology, or with the new Bluetooth ????

I have had them all, Polar, Suunto, etcetera... and now am using a Garmin Edge 800, but I really wish to switch to my iPhone only.
I know the Edge 800 is top of the art, and I don't care if the iPhone GPS is not as great as the Edge 800, I don't care if the battery life is less (I always ride 2 hours exactly anyways), etcetera, etcetera..... the only thing I do care is the HR signal against the wind!!!

It always happens that when I'm going downhill (I live in the Andes Mountains, so going downhill I can get up to 90kms/hr easily) or when the day is too windy, then my HR signal gets crazy, and it usually goes too high.

So, it is naturally the Wind.
But they dont have yet a good mapping device like Garmin (or iPhone apps)

By the way, the Garmin is not so good either in terms of HR signal strength, but is the best in GPS.

Please give me your personal experience on this.
Which technology is best against Wind and interferences????
Should I go for the ANT+ bundle or get the latest bundle with Bluetooth technology???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

1 - 20 of 75 Posts