Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my camera on the club ride this morning. This was my second ride on my new (to me) Pegoretti. I am leaving Hawaii before any races this year so I really haven't been doing any hammer rides, just enjoying my bikes. Most of these shots were taken while rolling through the foothills of Waimanalo, HI. To find Waimanalo, look for Kaneohe on the North side of Oahu and look East. The ride left from Kapiolani Park near Waikiki.

First shot is at the gathering place for the ride.
Cool bikes on the ride. Mine is the Big Leg Emma.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To the backroads

The standard Bigbill viewpoint on the climbs this year. Here is a shot of a friend that was riding his trainer bike and taking the same interest in climbing that I was. Every race on Oahu this year has been a time trial so many racers have their bikes set up with aero stuff.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More roads, rolling.

The backroads usually have some dirt washed across which gives your bike a nice orange glow by the time you get back to the start.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last ones

Heading to the regroup. There is a City/County park that is a popular spot for cyclists to stop before heading back to Honolulu.

The ride today was 46 miles with 1600 feet of climbing. The climbs are Makapu'u, Heartbreak, and Diamond Head. The bike was great, I had fun motoring on the flats and was able to hit 48mph on the descent of Makapu'u.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Damn, it looks like I missed out some good riding even though I lived nearby. I've always stayed on Kalanianaole Hwy through Waimanalo. Maybe it was anticipation of trying to hit 50 mph either from Makapu'u or cutting over through the golf course by Sandy's. I think I was mostly afraid of meeting up with some "brown necks" on those back roads. At minimum, I figured kids would throw guavas or lilikois at me. How long is that route?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gonsa said:
Damn, it looks like I missed out some good riding even though I lived nearby. I've always stayed on Kalanianaole Hwy through Waimanalo. Maybe it was anticipation of trying to hit 50 mph either from Makapu'u or cutting over through the golf course by Sandy's. I think I was mostly afraid of meeting up with some "brown necks" on those back roads. At minimum, I figured kids would throw guavas or lilikois at me. How long is that route?

The backroads effectively bypass Waimanalo so you don't have to ride through the town. When you enter the town on the K way, you turn left at the 7-11 and head mauka. You still get to enjoy both sides of Makapu'u on the way to and from Waimanalo. The city/county built a nice park on the Sandy Beach side of the pass so the shoulder is free of cars now. I hit 48 mph on the descent on Makapu'u and 45 on the Heartbreak in Hawaii Kai.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bigbill said:
The backroads effectively bypass Waimanalo so you don't have to ride through the town. When you enter the town on the K way, you turn left at the 7-11 and head mauka. You still get to enjoy both sides of Makapu'u on the way to and from Waimanalo. The city/county built a nice park on the Sandy Beach side of the pass so the shoulder is free of cars now. I hit 48 mph on the descent on Makapu'u and 45 on the Heartbreak in Hawaii Kai.
What's the opposite of Mauka? I never did find that out.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
What's the opposite of Mauka? I never did find that out.

Makai is the direction of the ocean. The building where I work at Pearl Harbor has four sides, mauka, makai, Honolulu, and Ewa. North, South, East, and West.

G

·
Bill,

Looking at that first picture - exactly how much clearance is there between those "Big Legs" and the crankarm??

Looks to be about to fit a piece of paper in between ............

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NShore said:
I miss home! Actually I'm from Kailua. Right now I'm living in the Azores so there's some similarity. The ocean, the greenery, the Portuguese. Sorry, inside joke.
A portugee is standing next to the Ala Wai canal and sees another Portugee on the far side. He yells out, "Hey brah, how you get to other side?" The other portugee looks around him and looks back over at the other guy and says "Brah, you on the other side!" I'll be here all week, try the buffet.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
toomanybikes said:
Bill,

Looking at that first picture - exactly how much clearance is there between those "Big Legs" and the crankarm??

Looks to be about to fit a piece of paper in between ............

They bulge out and towards the spoked section of the wheel. The clearance is fine. What is cool about this particular bike is that it is custom geometry with 60X60cm dimensions and a 73 degree seat tube. I can fit a 25 specialized or 28 conti on the back and still have clearance. With my Fina, a 25mm was about a 1mm from the FD clamp. I haven't tried anything larger than a 23 on the front yet, but the clearance on the Reynolds fork looks better than the Easton on the Fina.

·
Registered
80 Posts
bigbill said:
A portugee is standing next to the Ala Wai canal and sees another Portugee on the far side. He yells out, "Hey brah, how you get to other side?" The other portugee looks around him and looks back over at the other guy and says "Brah, you on the other side!" I'll be here all week, try the buffet.
You need some help from this guy.

·
Ummm
29 Posts
MB1 said:
Can you get good bean soup, malasadas and sweet bread there?
Oh yeah. It's a little bit different than home but not much. I thought of asking for Portagee sausage from the store but then I realized, they're all Portagee sausage.

When I was a kid, I met Frank. I thought he was the funniest. Wait, there's also Bumatai. He was great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts