Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sure looked like the group with the yellow jersey slowed up after Menchov's fall. Are they going to regret that? He is about the only one of the leaders who can TT with Evans and looks mighty strong.

G

·
Well the fact tha the guy hit the Tarmac so easily was probably all it took to slow the rest of the group down. That was a very strong attack - too bad Menchov went down.

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
That's the one thing about cycling: they still have sportsmanship rules (albeit unwritten ones) that trump every other sport.

· Registered
960 Posts
Yep.. Menchov looked strongest on the climb... Even after his fall.
BTW - I love this sport... it's just classy to give the guy a fighting chance to get back with the group... Even if he's gonna make you suffer for it.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
sometimes its hard to explain this stuff to people. kinda sad. whats worse is i have seen so many people just run by people that are having genuine difficulties in 5k runs. heck, i saw a guy get pushed to the ground during a THANKSGIVING DAY run.
everyone really backed off when OP went over the side. probably more beacsue they all saw it happen.

· Registered
344 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
Yep.. Menchov looked strongest on the climb... Even after his fall.
BTW - I love this sport... it's just classy to give the guy a fighting chance to get back with the group... Even if he's gonna make you suffer for it.
Yeah he looked way stronger than Sastre that attacked 3 times and came in with Kohl 20 seconds ahead of Menchov. I will say Menchov looks strong but his problem is when he gets in the "Red Zone" he has a hard time recovering. He has never finished ahead of Sastre at the Tour in recent years. Sastre Gets stronger over 3 weeks, the saem can not be said for Menchov.

I think these gaps will be huge dome Weds stage. I dont think schleck has the strength yet to WIN the tour but anything is possible I guess. I would like to see him win. Or Sastre. Or Menchov. Or Evans. Or Vandevelde.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
justinb said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never regretted sportsmanship.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that the rest of the GC contenders seemed to slow up a bit and wait for Menchov. Interesting though, isn't it? These guys do pretty much anything to win, but refuse to take advantage of a spot of bad luck by one of the favourites. You wouldn't see that in many other professional sports.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
dagger said:
I have watched the last 8k 3 times and they did not wait for Menchov. Schleck drove the group for several minutes after Menchov fell. Schleck NEVER looked back after they passed Menchov.
Evans tells the story differently:

“Frank Schleck is the best position, but I saw a very strong Menchov yesterday,” Evans said. “I asked Sastre to slow down (after Menchov crashed). Andy Schleck was on the front and then they didn’t start setting a hard tempo until Menchov came back, I thought that was a good sporting gesture. For Menchov to come back and to attack, it showed he’s very important.”

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/80544/evans--we-re-in-good-position-

· Registered
960 Posts
You don't have to look back when you have 3 team members in the break, and a race radio letting you know when Menchov got back on.... They rode tempo til he was back, then you saw Andy Schleck breathe hard about 3 times, and stand up... Then his cadence jumped by about 20 rpm... They also saw Menchov climbing back onto his bike as they came by him, so they knew he was gonna be joining back...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.