Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I watched a replay of Frontline's piece on Wal-Mart, and it got me thinking about their newest idea of offering organic food products in order to lure a more "upper class" type of customer.

I don't know much about the organic food industry, but is this something that Wal-Mart pursued, and if so, how are they going to use their size to drive the prices of organic foods down to where Wal-Mart thinks they should be? It seems like Wal-Mart normally holds all the leverage because the manufacturers want their stuff in Wal-Mart stores because of the volume potential. If they courted the organic food growers/distributors...seems like they give up lots of leverage. With organic, there is already a niche outlet for the distribution of their product, I can't imagine an organic food distributor would be courting Wal-Mart?

Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much...could just be a loss-leader for Wal-Mart to get you in the store so you can buy everything else under the sun.

Wow, I'm really bored at work today.

·
Registered
484 Posts
They don't really have to be that low priced. Just slightly below what the guy down the street is charging. Wal-Mart the home of the 98 cent cliff bar. I also believe their organic food selection is going to be a few random items in all areas and not an organic grocer type setup and is more of a marketing/image thing than anything else. They've been trying for the last 2 years or so to move a little upmarket without alienating their base of old farts and cheapskates.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
BikeGeek said:
They don't really have to be that low priced. Just slightly below what the guy down the street is charging. Wal-Mart the home of the 98 cent cliff bar. I also believe their organic food selection is going to be a few random items in all areas and not an organic grocer type setup and is more of a marketing/image thing than anything else. They've been trying for the last 2 years or so to move a little upmarket without alienating their base of old farts and cheapskates.:rolleyes:
Whole Foods has 99 cent Cliff Bars. Big spender that I am, I think I'll stick with them.:rolleyes:

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Have you tried the new organic house brand at Dominick's - "O"?

They do everything from canned beans to milk. It's priced a penny or two above non-organic, branded stuff.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Walmart will never get upscale

My wife and I try to buy organic foods (milk, produce, meats, etc....). Adding organic food to their shelves would be nice since we have a new "super dooper Walmart" no more than 5 miles from my house. According to my wife, Walmarts' produce sucks. By personal experience, their meats are really low end. But going upscale?? No way. I know they are trying to bring in "designer" clothes but no way will we buy them. I consider my family as "upscale" buyers. If you saw my wife's closet you would be amazed and at the same time feel sorry for me. What Walmart can't get through their brains is that it isn't just price: it's atmosphere, it's the service, it's the name, it's the quality. I'm willing to pay more for those things (just like going to the LBS vs online for every bike good). Cheap prices for cheap goods is no bargain.

I hate Walmart. Every been in a Walmart at 1am?? I have (sick child in need of drugs). The cretins crawl out from under their rocks. We have a family joke: don't stay in the Walmart too long, becuase for every minute you're in the store, your IQ drops a point and your teeth get loose and try to fall out. Gotta get in/out as fast as possible. If I sound stuck up, snobbish, I don't care. Walmarts and their business practices are disgusting. I cringe everytime I go into the store. I'm in the store about once a month 'cause its' so convenient for the little stuff.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
il sogno said:
Whole Foods has 99 cent Cliff Bars. Big spender that I am, I think I'll stick with them.:rolleyes:
They often go on sale at the local Performance for about 1/2 that if you buy a case.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Have you tried the new organic house brand at Dominick's - "O"?

They do everything from canned beans to milk. It's priced a penny or two above non-organic, branded stuff.
**GASP!* Here the organic house brand at Safeway is "O"! I sense a connection.......

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
il sogno said:
But I hate Whole Foods (she says in an obnoxious whiney voice...)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Walmart = the evil empire.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
They often go on sale at the local Performance for about 1/2 that if you buy a case.
50cent Clif Bars? NFW

The problem with most of these heavily discounted Clif Bars is that they've sat in warehouses for months and are stale (assuming you know what fresh Clif Bars taste like). Fresh bars have exp dates 9-10 months out.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Costco does it...

Mrs. Steve-O and I tend to avoid the evil empire and do most of our shopping at Trader Joes and Costco. Our local Costco in Reno has been really good about adding organic foods over the past year. Jut this morning I had organic toast with Kirkland organic peanut butter and Kirkland organic milk...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
BarryG said:
50cent Clif Bars? NFW

The problem with most of these heavily discounted Clif Bars is that they've sat in warehouses for months and are stale (assuming you know what fresh Clif Bars taste like). Fresh bars have exp dates 9-10 months out.
probably, but for that cheap I'll choke em down. :)

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
snapdragen said:
**GASP!* Here the organic house brand at Safeway is "O"! I sense a connection.......
Yeah, Alex is in Chicagoland. There is/used to be a chain called Dominicks there but they were bought by Safeway -- which then screwed the employees as hard as they could (my mom-in-law used to work for Dominicks). I was under the impression that all Dominicks stores were to be rebranded as Safeway.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Steve-O said:
Mrs. Steve-O and I tend to avoid the evil empire and do most of our shopping at Trader Joes and Costco. Our local Costco in Reno has been really good about adding organic foods over the past year. Jut this morning I had organic toast with Kirkland organic peanut butter and Kirkland organic milk...
Costco & Trader Joe's both rock!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know this will get me quarrantied but I work for the evil empire. $11 an hour in the middle of nowhere and there is really nowhere else to work where I live that will pay me that much. And I agree there is no way they will move up market. If you ever want to see what the american public is really like in general just people watch when the 1st of the month falls on a weekend. It is a blend of a white trash welfare extravaganza, senior citizens that swear you're out to rip them off so you can roll in your crisp $100 dollar bills and the spoiled shi*heads from the high dollar private college that have clearly never worked a day in their whole life. Tomorrow at work is going to suck. Eh to be a minion of retail hell. It dosen't matter how many people hate Wal-Mart there will always be too many cheap ******** that can't get enough cheap plastic crap.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
BikeGeek said:
I know this will get me quarrantied but I work for the evil empire.
I'm sorry. Does it hurt much?:eek:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm burned out on dealing with the public in general. If only being an axe murdering hermit paid better.:D Saving money to start my own business at the moment. I don't know if that's the answer though I am so fed up with the public in general. I've thought of going back to firefighting but with all the government cut backs the out look on that sucks.

Done factory work. Don't want to go back

Worked in a salvage yard. Not going back.

2 Years volunteer fire and rescue FF 1,2 , Hazmat, EMT , SCUBA Certified I enjoyed it but the job outlook kinda sucks. Been away for 7 years.

Part time bike mechanic, more of a hobby than anyhing else. Will work for parts.

Currently a minion of retail hell, Burned out but it pays the bills. I wanted to start a bike touring company but I doubt my ability to deal with the public when telling them what I think is a viable option. I have a welding rig and can braze pretty well but how many small frame builders do we need.

I may end up being mister mom soon, that would give me time to look at other things.

I don't have the answer, I wish I did.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
filtersweep said:
Funny, since Whole Foods IS the Walmart of co-ops/"healthy" food stores.
Yay! A comrade! We can form an I had Whole Foods club!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts