Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to the radio on the way into the the office this morning. They have people who didn't get a second date call in, then the radio station calls the other person who explains why they didn't call them back. What the person being called doesn't know is that the other person is listening in and after they explain themselves they let them have a go at each other. The call went something like this:

Guy met a girl in a dog park, went out on a date, guy hasn't heard from the girl again. I then stepped out to get coffee but when I got back to the car the girl was saying how anyone who leaves a dog home for twelve hours without taking them on a walk is bordering on animal abuse. Guy said he's never had an issue and his dog would let him know, he added that he leaves dirty bath towels on the floor for dog to pee on, immediately alienating girl and probably a couple hundred thousand listeners. Girl cried and called guy animal abuser, radio talk show co-host tells guy that she hopes the dog defecates in his open mouth while he sleeps.

We got a cat recently - even though we love dogs just as much - but we made the decision to adopt kitty because our busy NYC lifestyle has us out of the house from 6AM to 6PM five days a week. I'm out of the house all day not because I don't care for my cat, but because it is how it is. It would not have been fair to a dog.

Full time employed dog owners: How do you reconcile today's busy lifestyle, long commutes and/or work hours, with dog ownership? I know most don't have the option of coming home to go on a walk, are you all splashing out for walking services?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Dog owner here, I have crate trained my dog. My dog is in his crate approx 11 hrs a day monday thru friday.

My dog loves his crate, I know this because when i get in the shower to get cleaned up for work, he runs right into it. Granted my dog is approx 80 lbs, and larger dogs can go approx 11-12 hrs without having to pee assuming they are healthy.

On the weekends if i dont have work or dont have to get up for any reason. He will sleep in the bed with me for sometimes up to 12 to 13 hours.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My daughter lives in NYC and chose to have a dog with her busy schedule. She has accepted the fact that she pays a dog walker to come mid day and take the dog out for a walk. Everyone seems happy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dog owner here, I have crate trained my dog. My dog is in his crate approx 11 hrs a day monday thru friday.

My dog loves his crate, I know this because when i get in the shower to get cleaned up for work, he runs right into it. Granted my dog is approx 80 lbs, and larger dogs can go approx 11-12 hrs without having to pee assuming they are healthy.

On the weekends if i dont have work or dont have to get up for any reason. He will sleep in the bed with me for sometimes up to 12 to 13 hours.
Were you the guy on the radio show?
Sorry I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Dogs adapt to there surroundings fairly well. The alternative my dog faced was a needle filled with euthanasia fluid.

My dog was on death row, as he is considered a violent breed. When i get home weather permitting we do a 3-5 mile run or walk. We share a cheesesteak some times or chinese food LOL.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
We have 4 large dogs. It's not bad because they are in a large outside kennel. We also have a dog door so they can go out at night if they wish most nights. The wife is home everyday for lunch, so they are let out and they get walks or hikes almost every day.

Dogs are very amenable to crating, usually you have to train them early so it becomes normal for them. Not all dogs can handle that, but you'll find out quick enough if your dog is. Some breeds obviously do better indoors all the time than others. For instance greyhounds are good apartment dogs, they are fine with laying around all day like cats. Blue healers, not so much lol.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
My daughter lives in NYC and chose to have a dog with her busy schedule. She has accepted the fact that she pays a dog walker to come mid day and take the dog out for a walk. Everyone seems happy.
I think the dogwalker option is a good idea. In addition to the dog needing to pee/poop, its lonely for the dog being alone all day.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Oh man, a dog in a crate all day.........they might seem happy, but that's only b/c they're doing what they're told. A dog will run itself to death trying to keep up with its owner. I suppose they would also bore themselves to death if it makes mom/dad happy?

But I guess that it does depend on the breed. Our cat is fine sleeping all day, but even in her advanced age, is desperate for interaction and "games" when we're home, so we try to indulge her- let her out in the yard for a bit, play with her toys, let her upstairs to explore, she loves checking out the wet shower, stuff like that.

If we come home and then go straight to bed, especially after a vacation, she will let us know how much that bothers her! Meowing non-stop.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Multiple dog owner here.

We leave ours alone for 12hr at a time..................

They are in the garage with a doggie door to a 4000 sq ft backyard. They hang out outside and chase birds and squirrels. They have crates in the garage with water and food avail. If it's cold, they have coats I put on them. Their crates are also equipped with a heater pad. If it gets below 55 deg, the pads kick on.

When we get home, they hang with us inside a lot.

I think my dogs have it pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Oh man, a dog in a crate all day.........they might seem happy, but that's only b/c they're doing what they're told. A dog will run itself to death trying to keep up with its owner. I suppose they would also bore themselves to death if it makes mom/dad happy?

But I guess that it does depend on the breed. Our cat is fine sleeping all day, but even in her advanced age, is desperate for interaction and "games" when we're home, so we try to indulge her- let her out in the yard for a bit, play with her toys, let her upstairs to explore, she loves checking out the wet shower, stuff like that.

If we come home and then go straight to bed, especially after a vacation, she will let us know how much that bothers her! Meowing non-stop.
Dog in a nice comfy crate all day, he really has no problems with it. Keep in mind the crate is the size of twin sized mattress, i bought a great dane sized crate. I have a baby mattress in there for him to lie down on food and water.

In the summer i take him to the beach sometimes, and to a huge park and we walk through creeks and and lakes. My dog is very happy, healthy and comfortable.

When i got him, from the pound i spent a year getting his parasites gone, hair to grow back and curing his kennal cough. He was going to be put to sleep at 6 months age because of his breed. He is like 8 years old right now, and he is very content with his situation.

Dog breed Dog Road Carnivore Vertebrate

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I am the dogwalker for my construction partner who has a new job in NYC that requires her to leave home before 7:00 and often not getting back until 8:00 or 9:00 pm.

Her dog is a standard poodle who used to be fine on her own (shorter days) but now that she is an old lady (14 yrs old) and her owner is gone for so long, she needs to pee mid-day.

So I take her out for her bathroom break and a good long walk (most days)--for the same sort of money that a walker would charge.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the radio DJ's overreacted a bit but glad to see that answers span the gamut. That setup with the heated beds, flap door and 4K sq/ft backyard sounds sweet. Can't wait to move out of the big city and have more space.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.