Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Walking in DC.

907 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MB1 
#1 ·
Was it windy Sunday?

I'll tell you this, I have never seen flags so shreaded as the ones around the Washington Monument when we walked by early Sunday afternoon.

So we didn't ride, we went for a walk-got in 15 miles or so. We went to Union Station (the local Metro/AMTRAK hub) for some shopping and eating and photography. Ate some, got a lot of great photos and didn't really buy all that much. Not a bad way to spend a windy (50mph+) day.

By the time we did a second evening stroll with Miss M's sister the winds had died down and the flags had been replaced.

Walking ain't bad but I am glad we managed to get in a nice long ride today.

#2 ·
Brilliant!

Wow, great shots MB1. I especially like the ones that appear to be inside Union Station, the lighting is fantastic. You have such a wonderful eye for framing the shots. Wow. As soon as they let me bring my bike on the Marc I'll be down to tour. (wink wink nudge nudge, I know that won't happen. I'll get in better condition and hopefully catch you and Miss M on a ride in the spring)

#3 ·
I can't believe it!

MB1 said:
Was it windy Sunday?

I'll tell you this, I have never seen flags so shreaded as the ones around the Washington Monument when we walked by early Sunday afternoon. . . .

So we didn't ride, we went for a walk-got in 15 miles or so.
Walking ain't bad but I am glad we managed to get in a nice long ride today.
I was feeling like a real wimp for my not riding on Saturday and quitting after 15 miles on Sunday. Now that I read that you did not ride on Sunday, I feel a lot better. In fact, this may be a first -- a day on which I rode and you did not. Of course, I am sure that you more than made up for it today -- I spent the "holiday" hard at work in the office.

The shredded flag picture really shows how windy the day was; the picture from later in the day when the flags had been replaced shows the attention to detail and upkeep that the National Park Service maintains at the DC monuments. As always, I enjoyed the pictures.

#4 ·
Great pics as usual, MB. Every time I look at one of your posts it makes me want to go to GW even more than I already do :) Great stuff.

joe

#5 ·
Get used to it.

MarkS said:
In fact, this may be a first -- a day on which I rode and you did not.....
In March we are going to Peru for a couple of weeks (sans bikes). That means we are going to do quite a lot of walking between now and then to get ready for our trip. I don't expect that we will ride much more than 1,000 miles a month till April.

Should be fun.

#6 ·
Seriously, MB, I have never considered DC a place to visit until enjoying your posts.

Growing up 3000 miles away makes it seem like some far off place where folks have little respect or interest in what is going on in the rural western parts of the country.

Your photos though, are drawing me. I need to get the kids out there for a big, touristy visit. I'll bring the bike.

#7 ·
Yeah, but

MB1 said:
In March we are going to Peru for a couple of weeks (sans bikes). That means we are going to do quite a lot of walking between now and then to get ready for our trip. I don't expect that we will ride much more than 1,000 miles a month till April.

Should be fun.
Sure, you may not be riding as much. But, if I know you and Miss M, you probably will be walking more miles on a Saturday or Sunday than I will be riding. I just can see the "walking reports" -- "We walked from DC to Harper's Ferry on the C&O canal trail and then . . ." Or, "We decided to take a short 40 mile walk in the snow and rain . . ."

#8 ·
Me too...

eric said:
Seriously, MB, I have never considered DC a place to visit until enjoying your posts.

Growing up 3000 miles away makes it seem like some far off place where folks have little respect or interest in what is going on in the rural western parts of the country.

Your photos though, are drawing me. I need to get the kids out there for a big, touristy visit. I'll bring the bike.
I grew up in Samoa and Hawaii-just about as far from DC as you can get and still be in the US. As an adult I moved to SoCal to work in the bike industry.

Then I met this woman.......turns out I really like DC. Who knew?

If you visit DC you could take AMTRAK right to Union Station and just bike around the area-much better than driving although I will admit it would be difficult unless your kids are fairly old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.