Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Local store has one.
Lots of reviews online, most very condescending. I think people forget it is a $150 bike. It isn't going to equal my Langster, but as a beater to tear up the town with the kids it could fit the bill.

·
Cumudgitude
711 Posts
Looks like a really comfortable set up too. Check out the rear wheel clearance. That's getting into comfort bike territory! But does it really weigh 39 pounds? With an aluminum frame I don't even see how that's possible.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UrbanPrimitive said:
Looks like a really comfortable set up too. Check out the rear wheel clearance. That's getting into comfort bike territory! But does it really weigh 39 pounds? With an aluminum frame I don't even see how that's possible.
Didn't seem anywhere near that weight, but I think most of Wal-Mart's bikes are weighed around there for shipping purposes (packing and whatnot). You have to remember, no one there would ever think someone would care about a bike's weight.

Think I might pick one up just to see what happens. Wonder if I could strip the stickers , throw on a cog, remove the pedals, and sell it on Craigslist as a "custom fixie" for double the price :) .

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
As far as a baby seat goes, you could use the Delta seatstay clamp on brackets and it looks like there is enough room on the rear dropout (sorry, "track fork ends") to drill and use a nut and bolt.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read that review, and it is written by exactly the part of bicycling culture that I hate--those who think that riding a bicycle, sorry, an expensive bicycle, makes you "better than."

It is a $150 bicycle and so, accordingly, will have $150 bike features. I have looked at $300 bikes at a "real bike shop"--Performance Bike--that did not have the same quality as this one.

My thinking:
A: I have limited funds, especially at the moment. I can not really afford another bike at all, but this one is priced at the point that I could feel OK spending the money.
B: I have a Langster, which I love, but which I would rather leave set up for longer, more "me" rides. It works perfectly for the current scenario except that I have to remove the child seat if I want to ride otherwise.
C: For the distance I might ride with my baby, I seriously doubt I will tell much difference between the two, especially considering the extra weight of the seat and child and that my attention will be on her, not the bike.

So, eh, why not give it a shot. I didn't see anything in any of the reviews that were absolutely horrible, just, as he puts is, bike snob complaints.

·
Registered
839 Posts
24601 said:
I read that review, and it is written by exactly the part of bicycling culture that I hate--those who think that riding a bicycle, sorry, an expensive bicycle, makes you "better than."

I didn't see anything in any of the reviews that were absolutely horrible, just, as he puts is, bike snob complaints.
I think there s some massive misunderstanding of the bsnyc site - he mercilessly derides the "bike culture" you mention above. He's significantly less funny than he believes he is, but he does relentlessly make fun of the fixie / hipster crowd.

As far as horrible, the pictures of the metal shavings and misaligned frame/fork give me pause.

But, at $150, I'm still hella tempted.

·
Cumudgitude
711 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
he mercilessly derides the "bike culture" you mention above
This is one of the hallmarks of the hipster subculture. Similar to goth culture the way to ensure a person rises in the ranks of social esteem is to epitomize the fashion and attitudes of the culture while vehemently denying membership. "I don't ride a fixie 'cause it's cool, it's just me". I've only encountered one person who self defined as "hipster." Everyone else I've encountered who met the observable criteria made fun of hipsters and dressed like them because "it's funny." Making fun of hipsters is, in fact, the very heart of contemporary hipster culture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think what alot of people NEED to realize is the fact that there IS a sub $500 market for bicycles. You're not going to get heated seats, navigation, self parking and lifetime road assistance buying a Geo. But it doesn't mean the bike is going to just FALL APART into a pile of scrap one day while riding it either.

I don't know why they make such a bid deal of it either since the 'hipsters' just rip off all the names and logos anyway. Buy a Walmart bike, rip the names off and no one will know.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I posted this before. I brought a Denalli roadbike used for 35 dollars, I switched the dropbar for a riser, changed the tires, took it to my LBS and had the wheels, gears, and brakes adjusted. All toll I spent 80 dollars. I put 2000 commuters miles on that bike last year before I gave it away. The front wheel was toast. I rode that bike thru everything. The best thing about that bike was I did not care what I rode thru.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.