Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the long weekend to head out to the undisclosed desert location. Google says I can get there in 8 hours 17 minutes.

I beg to differ.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
innergel said:
Buying land that far out makes it difficult to enjoy it as much as you'd want. At least it would for me.
Yeah sometimes I think that, but on the other hand, the remoteness and rarity is part of the appeal for me.

innergel said:
You gonna dove hunt this weekend?
Maybe... but likely I'll let the kids have their fun.
 

·
Master debator.
Joined
·
8,761 Posts
Seeing where you live, no wonder you want to get away... :p
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nOOky said:
Seeing where you live, no wonder you want to get away... :p
partner, the rest of the world's not worth
a pound of good old Texas dirt.


 

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
nOOky said:
Seeing where you live, no wonder you want to get away... :p
It's not Texas that's so bad, it's the Texans. :D
 

·
Master debator.
Joined
·
8,761 Posts
Actually I like so many of the people down in that area, it's just that there is nothing to do for the outdoors types.
And I can't stand the heat, I've been down there many times for work in Fort Worth and Burleson.
 

·
I want a Road Bike :)
Joined
·
4,111 Posts
Dallas--> Austin-->San Antonio-->Laredo--//--> Monterrey


I'll buy the H&B...
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Maybe... but likely I'll let the kids have their fun.
One of the best things my dad ever did for me was giving me a pint of water, 10" of bailing wire, a pocket knife, an hankie and then dropping me off in the desert 30 miles from home.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
terry b said:
One of the best things my dad ever did for me was giving me a pint of water, 10" of bailing wire, a pocket knife, an hankie and then dropping me off in the desert 30 miles from home.
Our particular rite of passage is, you get a knife and one article of clothing. Come back with a mulie and cook it for the camp.
 

·
i like whiskey
Joined
·
8,405 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Yeah sometimes I think that, but on the other hand, the remoteness and rarity is part of the appeal for me.


Maybe... but likely I'll let the kids have their fun.
I can definitely understand that. But 8+ hrs in the car = ouch. I can get plenty remote in West Texas at my lease and I can be there in 3 hrs.

Dove hunting with the kiddo's is awesome family time. Gel Jr is going on his first dove hunt in 3 weeks. He's 5.5yo. Then it'll be marshmallows over the campfire while daddy has a few nips of bourbon.
 

·
"El Bwana"
Joined
·
4,399 Posts
<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1808294"></a><br/>
<br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://www.myspace.com/asleepatthewheel">Asleep at the Wheel</a> | <a style="font: Verdana" href="http://www.myspace.com/music/videos">MySpace Music Videos</a></font>
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I'm taking the long weekend to head out to the undisclosed desert location. Google says I can get there in 8 hours 17 minutes.

I beg to differ.
We usually solve all of the world's problems on our regular drive from ABQ to Sonora. Unfortunately the solutions are never adopted.

Love drives are good for the soul.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top