Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 500 lifetime fixed miles in and I've gotta admit, I like to coast. Would slapping on a freewheel be that big of a deal? Would I still be "keeping it real" or whatever? I was hoping for a religious experience with the fixie, and it's been OK, but I'm thinking "coast" a lot. How many of you guys run freewheels anyway? I split my riding over a bunch of bikes (road, tt, cross, mtb, SS mtb, tandem, "freeride", and the indoor trainer bike) and the fixed bike catches me trying to coast and abruptly makes a correction. Then later on any of my other bikes I have to remember "now can I coast on this one or not?" all of the time.

Heh, I know, I should prolly just ride what I want. But I want to be cool too!

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Three thoughts:

1. I think that 500 miles isn't enough to really embrace it yet - I vacillated between fixed and free for awhile but eventually stayed fixed. Give it another 500 miles and see if you still crave coasting.

2. If you have more than one bike, you might try keeping one bike as a dedicated fixie. That way, you associate that one bike with "not coasting" every time you get on it, eliminating the learning curve on each ride.

3. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with a "coolness" factor. You're either cool or you aren't, but it has nothing to do with what you own or what you wear or what you ride.
But you knew that!

· Premium Member
12,036 Posts
another 500?!

BianchiJoe said:
Three thoughts:

1. I think that 500 miles isn't enough to really embrace it yet - I vacillated between fixed and free for awhile but eventually stayed fixed. Give it another 500 miles and see if you still crave coasting.
I knew within a block on my first fixed ride that it was a keeper and my geared bike better look out. Now I feel totally out of control on the coastie.

diff'rent spokes...

· Banned
2,843 Posts
BianchiJoe said:
3. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with a "coolness" factor. You're either cool or you aren't, but it has nothing to do with what you own or what you wear or what you ride.
But you knew that!

I don't know if I should be seen talking to you, but coolness IS IN FACT bought. It's even a common phrase, keeping up with the jone's, and the simple fact that all "cool" people in whatever catagory look exactly the same, ie the cool punks or the cool whatever, all wear the cool punk uniform.

· Registered
105 Posts
yea, sure they look the same.. but when you talk to someone who trys to act cool, you see how big of a chump he is..

when you talk to someone deticated.. its alot different..

as far as riding fixed because its cool.. maybe 1% of the people i know think biking is "cool"

of that 1%, they think anything with 2 wheels is cool..

my experience is that either people like biking completely.. or they really have no opinion.. if you want to be cool, and stuck out, wear a speedo or a thing when you ride!! and shoes..

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like that Parkside episode...

FTF said:
I don't know if I should be seen talking to you, but coolness IS IN FACT bought. It's even a common phrase, keeping up with the jone's, and the simple fact that all "cool" people in whatever catagory look exactly the same, ie the cool punks or the cool whatever, all wear the cool punk uniform.

That one where the goth kids had a dress code, that was super funny.

Hey thanks for the ideas guys! I think I'm going for another 500 miles then if I'm not totally sold on fixed, I'm going free. That's exactly the idea I was looking for :)

· Registered
1,006 Posts
FTF said:

Nah, only the appearance of cool can be bought. Real coolness lies within. Conformity is an imitation of cool.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Go ahead, spin on the freewheel.

Then pedal all the time, so you still look the part. :cool:

The truly cool don't form opinions on other's cooless. Therefore, the only people you need to worry about being cool in front of are the dorks of the world. Why would you care?

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
If you are riding a bike with only one gear, you are in such a small sub-nitch that everyone will be amazed, regardless of whether its fixed or SS. I've been riding my SS for at least two years and I constantly get the same reaction, "hey man, where did all your gears go?"

All that being said, go buy a wheel with a flip flop hub and you can change them around to your hearts content.

· Registered
20 Posts
i think

you need to get at why you want to coast
you should have plenty of time to mull it over
while you are sitting around cutting off your 'dickies' mid calf
and safetypinning patches to your chrome bag
take a sip off your pbr, wipe the smudge off your balck plastic frame specs
it will all come to you

· Registered
2,643 Posts
Your coolness can only be decided by others.

There is little you can do to change their opinion on the matter.

Greater Hartford has a population of more than 500,000. I doubt more than 100 of 'em ride a fixed gear bike regularly. I doubt the remaining 499,900 all want to ride fixed gear bikes, and if they do, most of them don't know it yet. Ride fixed because you like to, or perhaps to be unusual, but not to be cool.

To prove how uncool I am, this thread has lowered the bar for spelling so that an anorexic snake couldn't get under it. "nitch" "deticated" - Jezus Kryst!

· Registered
28 Posts
Reactions

I ride into work a few days a week and store my bike in my office (SS Bianchi). The other day my boss saw me leaving and asked "How long does it take you to get home?"

"About an hour, maybe 1-1/2, depending on which way I go."

"Hm. Hey, there's no gears on your bike."

I hoisted the back end to show him that he was right, and said "Well, there's two. One in the front and one in the back."

"How do you do the hills? Is that a track bike?" he asked.

"By pedaling harder. No, it's not a track bike. See, the pedals spin backwards." (I'm trying not to overwhelm my coworkers with the details of cycling.) "Later this summer I'm getting a wheel that won't allow that to happen. It's a fixed-gear."

(Boss stares silently with furrowed brow...)

"You know, no coasting. Gotta pedal all the time. Pedals linked to the wheels rotationally. I think it'll be a blast."

(Eye brows raise as he grasps the concept. Then furrow again.) "Sounds kind of... militant."

Militant. I like it.

BozemanboB

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
or masochistic?

Maybe they meant "Masochistic"??

Ah, got on the old fixie, it felt pretty darn good, and as pointed out above, I've got other bikes that can coast. I think I'll leave her as she is :)

BozemanboB said:
I ride into work a few days a week and store my bike in my office (SS Bianchi). The other day my boss saw me leaving and asked "How long does it take you to get home?"

"About an hour, maybe 1-1/2, depending on which way I go."

"Hm. Hey, there's no gears on your bike."

I hoisted the back end to show him that he was right, and said "Well, there's two. One in the front and one in the back."

"How do you do the hills? Is that a track bike?" he asked.

"By pedaling harder. No, it's not a track bike. See, the pedals spin backwards." (I'm trying not to overwhelm my coworkers with the details of cycling.) "Later this summer I'm getting a wheel that won't allow that to happen. It's a fixed-gear."

(Boss stares silently with furrowed brow...)

"You know, no coasting. Gotta pedal all the time. Pedals linked to the wheels rotationally. I think it'll be a blast."

(Eye brows raise as he grasps the concept. Then furrow again.) "Sounds kind of... militant."

Militant. I like it.

BozemanboB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.