Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a bike using ebay components, since I can't afford to buy the new one I like.
I located a nice Felt F60 frame for 200. I am thinking about buying maybe a used shimano gear set, carbon fork, carbon handle bars, etc. I think I can build a nice (not great) bike for about $600. Is this unrealistic?

·
Registered
174 Posts
echelonphoto said:
I want to build a bike using ebay components, since I can't afford to buy the new one I like.
I located a nice Felt F60 frame for 200. I am thinking about buying maybe a used shimano gear set, carbon fork, carbon handle bars, etc. I think I can build a nice (not great) bike for about $600. Is this unrealistic?

Depends why you want to do it.. cost savings? Don't bother you'll end up sending way more. Best bet is to ebay a gently used bike. If you have your heart set on the felt frame ebay a used bike and swap the components and then ebay the donor frame.

I built a bike frame up because I wanted particular parts and I also enjoyed the challenge and the extra cost was worth it too me.

Do some rough math with me. These prices are all ebayed or discounted and are very conservative and DO NOT include shipping.

Bars 10 (used)
Stem 15 (used)
Headset 20 (new you'll spend just as much replacing the berings)
Shifters 105 or higher 150 (Best buying newer esp shimano since they can't be rebuilt)
cables and housing 15 (new)
Brakes 30 (used)
Pads (10)
Cranks 50
BB 30 (new or take off)
Cassette 30 (new or gently used a beat worn out cassete sucks)
Chain (20 new why buy and old chain?)
Wheels ($150)
SeatPost (15)
Saddle (25)
Bar tape (10)
Fork (40)
Install headset face chase BB cut steer tube (50)
Misc (20)
Tires 30
tubes 10
ok now you are at 700 with out the frame

Frame comes with fork and headset great - $70
now you are at $630 for a pretty mediocre bike plus you still have to put the damn thing together assuming you have all the tools and skillz

Honestly unless you have something very specific in mind you are better off putting that into a used bike and then dumping a few bucks into fixing/replacing as needed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oops loooking over the price list I forgot front and rear mech. so add another 80 min.

Felt MSRP for the F60 is $1399 thats with Ultegra FSA cranks and ALEX wheels

The 06 model the F65 is 1700 you get a nicer wheelset ultegra 10speed a compact crankset etc

who is juking you for 2Gs?

Also add shipping on all those parts and your're looking to add another 100-200 dollars to the cost of the bike.

so now your used bike no frame is gonna cost you 900. add the frame and thats 1100

a brand new felt f65 with a much better drive train than you can afford piece meal is going ot cost you an extra 600 MAX. Go into a bike shop negotiate talk with the owner pay cash and you're looking at paying 1300-1400 so for an extra 200-300 dollars you could walk away with a brand new bike. or you could save that and have a mixed bag used bike with mediocre components?

echelonphoto said:
Thanks for the reply...actually 700 for a felt f60 with shimano 105's sounds pretty good. New price is around 2000 and its hardly a mediocre bike. I have seen shimano 105 sets complete for around 150.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.