Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have a Motobecane Immortal with a compact double. After riding over 500 miles this week in the Aidslifcycle event, I realized I can't climb with a double. I was pushing the pedals vs. spinnging.

What will I need to do a full tripple conversion to tripple? Will I need new shifters too?

Currently, the bike has:
34/50 FSA Crank
12/27 Ultegra cassette
Ultegra Shifters/Derailers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Road triple conversion

You'll need a triple front (left) shifter, triple crank (I would suggest Ultegra, stay away from the "alternate" brands, especially for a triple), bottom bracket, front derailleur, long cage rear derailleur, chain, and some patience and time to set up the front derailleur - they are pretty finicky. Remember that cross-chaining is an even worse sin with a triple. Don't use the small 'ring as a single shift "bail-out" or you'll drop the chain almost every time. Decide before you get on the climb to use the small ring and shift into it at the 3rd or 4th largest cog in back. Using this strategy will help you avoid a lot of frustration with front shifting.

Good luck,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,161 Posts
won't help much...

A 34/27 low gear is the same as 30/24, so all you'd be gaining is one lower gear ratio, the 30/27, unless you go a step further and change the little ring to a 28.

If you do go this route, be sure to get a 39T middle ring and not a 42.

If you've got 6600 shifters, then you would need a new left 6603 shifter, plus the already mentioned items.

I've got to disagree about the shifting though. Any properly setup triple should allow you use the middle ring with up to the 9th cog (of 10) before shifting to the little ring. It should not drop the chain off the little ring from the 9th cog. Of course, the normal shifting pattern requires an immediate shift 2-cogs smaller to get the next lower ratio in the progression. That could be done quickly, before the little ring shift, but not if you wait too long and get bogged down with slow cadence and high chain tension. The only time I found an exception to this was with a frame having very short 399mm chainstays (Cervelo R3). The short chainstays did cause chain drop from the 9th cog (of 10), but not the 8th.

The triple FD should not be much different to setup either. Both require proper high and low limit screw settings and proper cable tension.

IMO, Campy shifters and FD offer better control of a triple and I know from many builds that they are easy to setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Yup,

I agree that a Campy drivetrain, especially pre '08 is the best build for a triple (or any variation...) but his list showed Ultegra hardware.

As for the shifting advice, I meant he shouldn't shift to the small 'ring from only middle ring/largest cog. I see bikes quite a bit where the customer complains about the chain dropping to their BB shell all the time when they shift to the small 'ring. A few questions later and some time in the clamp show that the bike is perfectly adjusted, but the rider doesn't want to shift to the small 'ring until the last possible second he/she needs it and the cadence is down to about 15...

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,358 Posts
A cheaper alternative to get low gears would be to get an IRD 12-32 10sp cluster and a Ultegra long cage "triple" rear derailleur (if you don't have one already) . You might also need a new longer chain too.

There'll be some gaps between gears with this setup but the cost is less than the triple.
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,966 Posts
Wonder if you could slap a mountain cassette and derailleur on. It'd certainly be cheaper than changing the crankset.

This thread seems to indicate that 10-speed brifters are backwards compatible to 9-speed, although you have to use an alternate cable routing.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=40265

Maybe someone with some actual experience doing this will chime in.
 

·
monkey with flamethrower
Joined
·
821 Posts
jorgy said:
Wonder if you could slap a mountain cassette and derailleur on. It'd certainly be cheaper than changing the crankset.

This thread seems to indicate that 10-speed brifters are backwards compatible to 9-speed, although you have to use an alternate cable routing.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=40265

Maybe someone with some actual experience doing this will chime in.
10 speed shifters are not compatible with 9 speed on the rear. Please don't use the term 'brifter'. Its a shifter, only Sheldon Brown had the privilege to use the term brifter.
For the conversion you will need a new front shifter, front derailluer and new rear derailleur and a new chain. Nothing more, nothing less. I would save your money and start riding more, a compact with a 12-27 has almost the same low end gear that a triple with a 12-27 has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
vpkb said:
Hi Guys

I have a Motobecane Immortal with a compact double. After riding over 500 miles this week in the Aidslifcycle event, I realized I can't climb with a double. I was pushing the pedals vs. spinnging.

What will I need to do a full tripple conversion to tripple? Will I need new shifters too?

Currently, the bike has:
34/50 FSA Crank
12/27 Ultegra cassette
Ultegra Shifters/Derailers
A 34/27 is pretty damn low. Just keep riding a little more, you'll build up strength soon enough. :thumbsup:
Lou.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hm...i'm looking for a cost conscious alternative. a mountain cassette does sound good, my friend had it his bike and he was flying uphill.

say i go with a mountain cassette, which gearing...and what's "IRD"?
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,966 Posts
IRD/Interloc is a company name.
http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html

Looks like you'll need a mountain derailleur. Deores can be found for $20.

vpkb said:
hm...i'm looking for a cost conscious alternative. a mountain cassette does sound good, my friend had it his bike and he was flying uphill.

say i go with a mountain cassette, which gearing...and what's "IRD"?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top