Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im looking for some info here. my current race bike is a scott CR1 with full SRAM Red and im using the 1090R chain that comes with it, my problem is that i train alot and race this bike and im stretching chains about every 1000-1300 miles. i do all flat road stuff but im doing intervals and crits and im a sprinter type. im looking for a chain that will be the same weight as my 1090R but will have a little better life. according to campy's website the chorus is 255g at 114 links which is exactly what mine is and i always hear from guys i race with that campy chains last alot longer. so im asking what your millage like, given the type of riding that i do what could i expect.

G

·
I get about 4-5000 miles out of mine, and even then I only replace them because I don't want to overuse them (I've heard the rollers wear before the chain stretches on campy), I've never had a chain checker come show that it's been stretched. I also am right in the middle of season with races every weekend and intervals during the week (cat 3), so it's not like I'm being nice to mine either.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

b24fsb said:
ok well thats good to hear, do you have a chorus chain?
All Campy chains will wear the same. The only difference is lightening holes in the sideplates for Chorus and both sideplates and pins for Record. Veloce has no holes.

You should try a search undr chain life. I've posted a lot of info on the subject. You won't find a chain that lasts longer than Campy, but it's wise to buy 3-4 chains and alternate their use, starting with a new cassette, rather than using one for 4-6,000 miles and then changing. If you use any one chain for too long, a new one may skip on the worn cogs. If you alternate every 2,000 miles, you won't have that problem.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

chas0039 said:
Won't you run into considerable expense getting the campy replacement parts every time you break the chain? Or is there some other method you use such as a magic link?
The wipperman connex 10S1, SRAM powerloc and forster superlink model 4 all fit the Campy UN chain. I like the connex best.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Record chain user.

I have a Bianchi 1885. I ride all year. I am not a racer. I put on about 7000 mile on my record chain in a year. I ride in weather between 20 and 90 degrees F with frequent chip seal rides and as many hills as I can. At my age I can only average between 17 to 20 mph.

Getting a record chain was one of my best investments. I went through a a lot of Shimano chains on my Specialized Allez. I use 100% campag on my 1885.

·
Registered
289 Posts
C-40 this may be a dumb question but can I use a Campy wheel, cassette and chain with my Ultegra group. The reason I ask is I really want to be able to use a 13/26 rear cassette ( I like the 18 th and I do not need the 12 th ). I also plan to go to a Campy drive train in the future so I will then have a set of Campy wheels. THX

Will this work if I use a Jtek shiftmate?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
shiftmate needed...

dom3333 said:
C-40 this may be a dumb question but can I use a Campy wheel, cassette and chain with my Ultegra group. The reason I ask is I really want to be able to use a 13/26 rear cassette ( I like the 18 th and I do not need the 12 th ). I also plan to go to a Campy drive train in the future so I will then have a set of Campy wheels. THX

Will this work if I use a Jtek shiftmate?
Thsi would work with a shiftmate, but without it, the RD will undershift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.