Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have eyeballed the width of my fork and stays and 25C tires should fit with room to spare, since 25C is only about 1/16 inch wider. I am running my 23C tires at 95psi, but am looking for more comfort on chip sealed roads. Will the small extra width of 25C tires provide a tangible reduction in road vibration and bumps? Are there any other things I need to condsider before making the change?

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creakyknees said:
I dunno if you'll notice a huge difference, to be honest. Certainly if you run 95 psi that's a reasonable pressure, maybe you could try 90 on the 25s and see it works for ya.
Yeah, I was thinking 90psi in 25C tires should make some difference. I already have silicone padding under my bar tape but I still need a softer ride in the buttockal area. If wider tires don't do enough, I might get a Selle An-Atomica saddle, but I would rather not spend that much if I don't have to.

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
I run Gatorskins and just went to a 25 in the back. I don't feel that it slows me down, and it's a little smoother. 105 in the 25s feels like 95 - 100 in the 23s. I upped my 23s to 105 after a few pinch flats @ 95.

Check out Koobi saddles - tune your saddle softness.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
terminology

BTW, it's not "25c", it's 25mm. The rim diameter is referred to as "700C" because of an old numbering convention. The actual rim size is 622mm diameter at the bead seat. Tire designations are weird.

· Registered
202 Posts
I am running 95 psi on GP4000 25's. No flats in the last 16000 miles. Conti recommends 95 psi for 25's. Now for real smoothness on those rotten roads a 28 at 80 psi is amazing.

TT

· Registered
1,301 Posts
JCavilia said:
BTW, it's not "25c", it's 25mm. The rim diameter is referred to as "700C" because of an old numbering convention. The actual rim size is 622mm diameter at the bead seat. Tire designations are weird.
Agree the designations are weird.

On Vittoria and Michelin web sites they still label their tire sizes as wheel size (650 or 700) by -c width (e.g. 650x23c, 700x23c, 700x25c, etc.). If the industry still uses the "-c" designation, who are we consumers to disagree????

AND- bike tires are supposed to be mm widths, but all "23mm" tires are not the same actual width.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.