Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's roughly 87 miles from Sherman Oaks (dropping down to PCH via Sepulveda and taking that up) to Ojai.

Currently I commute 13 miles a day (6.5 miles each way) and do one ride during the weekend (usually 30 miles).

I'm looking for tips so that I can do that 87 miles twice (up and back) during a 4-5 day weekend. I have no idea how to train for longer distances. Will I have to stretch out my commuting rides during the week? Or will incrementally increasing my one long ride on the weekend be enough?

What's the longest distance I should be able to bike before being able to accomplish my goal? 70 miles?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
638 Posts
Youre doing good already. Keep up the commuting because its great to have that consistent riding. Just up the amount of your long ride each week by 10 miles. Also add a "half ride" somewhere in the week as well, feel free to add in your commute to that. So once youre up to 40 miles for your long ride youll be doing 20 for your half...so the commute plus 7. Also on your long ride feel free to keep the intensity up... itll make you faster. Youll be up to what you need in no time. Me and a friend are doing this to get ready for our first century in sept. Im current doing one 70 mile ride each week plus two 20's and a 40. Yesterday I did 70 and then 35 today and I felt great. Also give serious consideration to getting a nice tub of recovery drink... I use Endurox R and endurox R4. It helps me to not feel destroyed after a big ride and im nice and fresh the next day. Keep in mind I also smoke a pack a day, haha : )

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

But what do you think my long ride should be at before I can safely ride 90 miles twice in about 4-5 days? Should it be 90? I just ask cause I ran a marathon and the most I ran before the race was 20 miles. Wondering if it was similar for biking.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
slupo said:
Thanks for the reply!

But what do you think my long ride should be at before I can safely ride 90 miles twice in about 4-5 days? Should it be 90? I just ask cause I ran a marathon and the most I ran before the race was 20 miles. Wondering if it was similar for biking.
I'm never sure about this stuff, but I would guess that you should be able to do 70-80 pretty comfortably. 4-5 days is plenty of rest between trips. I would actually try to get a super-easy recovery ride in on day 2, then get an easy to moderate ride in on day 4, then head back on Day 5.

Is it a shorter trip to go through Simi Valley and Moorpark? You could take the coastal route there, then take the 150 down into Santa Paula, cross Telegraph Road and take South Mountain Road to the 23, take the 23 into Moorpark, then follow surface streets to the Santa Susana Pass, then surface streets again into Sherman Oaks. But I don't know if that's actually shorter. Seems like it would be. Point is, you could do the longer ride up, and the shorter ride back. But now that I think about it, the extra climbing may negate the shorter mileage.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I have always figured that whatever miles I comfortably do in a week I can uncomfortably do in a day.

In other words, you already good to go the distance. Training more will just make the ride easier.

I suggest you train more-mostly by extending your long weekend ride.

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Is it a shorter trip to go through Simi Valley and Moorpark? You could take the coastal route there, then take the 150 down into Santa Paula, cross Telegraph Road and take South Mountain Road to the 23, take the 23 into Moorpark, then follow surface streets to the Santa Susana Pass, then surface streets again into Sherman Oaks. But I don't know if that's actually shorter. Seems like it would be. Point is, you could do the longer ride up, and the shorter ride back. But now that I think about it, the extra climbing may negate the shorter mileage.
I was thinking the same thing. The Santa Susana Pass is pretty easy and the grade up Hwy 23 is manageable. This sort of route would make it so our OP would be able to avoid PCH between Santa Monica and Malibu (a dangerous stretch).

27,062 Posts
il sogno said:
I was thinking the same thing. The Santa Susana Pass is pretty easy and the grade up Hwy 23 is manageable. This sort of route would make it so our OP would be able to avoid PCH between Santa Monica and Malibu (a dangerous stretch).
And the 23 is stunning.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I second MB1

You could do it now. If you can start stretching that weekend ride a little, you'll be in better shape. If you get where you can do a 50 on the weekend, and do your commute comfortably, you'll be fine. You'll need to pay attention to eating and drinking for the long ride, that's all.

How much time have you got before this journey? I don't think you said.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
I suggest you want to be able to do 75 miles in a day in relative comfort before trying your Ojai trip. IMHO, it's vital to get some long days in the saddle before trying two longs days over an extended weekend. There's a big difference between putting in 87 miles over the course of a week and 87 miles in one day. Yes, your weekly rides build general endurance, but 87 miles in a day is going to put a lot of stress on the muscles and connective tissue in your hands, arms, neck, back and butt. Of course, pain is relative, and Advil can help a lot. But you'll be dealing with pain issues that you just never experience on a shorter ride.

I see this every October on the charity ride I organize. Relative newbies come into the ride after riding 1,500 miles over the summer, but only 30-40 miles at a time. Usually, their busy schedules just don't allow for many 5- and 6-hour rides. Then they hit the charity ride with 80 on day 1 and 70 on day 2. By day 3 they are just shattered--tired and sore and hating their bike. Some even have swollen knees from all the stress.

Plus, what Cavilia says about nutrition. You want to do a couple long rides just to see what kind of nutrition your body can tolerate over 5+ hours. Bars vs. gels, for example, and H2O vs. sports drinks. Good luck. Sounds like fun.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't really have a time set. I was thinking September/Octoberish hopefully when it cools off a bit.

The non-coastal route sounds like a good idea on the way back. I'd still like to do the coastal route on the way up.

Incidentally, what would be the logistics of riding to Santa Barbara instead of Ojai? Riding on the 101 does not sound fun.

27,062 Posts
slupo said:
Don't really have a time set. I was thinking September/Octoberish hopefully when it cools off a bit.

The non-coastal route sounds like a good idea on the way back. I'd still like to do the coastal route on the way up.

Incidentally, what would be the logistics of riding to Santa Barbara instead of Ojai? Riding on the 101 does not sound fun.
You're only on the 101 for a small stretch, and there's a wide shoulder. IIRC, you have to pass over one exit lane. It's not great, but it's not bad.

If you want to take the coastal route, I would take that on the way home. Tailwind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.