Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at getting a pair of the Dura-Ace 7850-SLtubless wheels, since they are the only official ones to be able to use tubeless tires. With the high pressure of road tires, I am not interested in Stan's DIY conversions. I will use their sealant though.

The problem is I am using Campy 10 speed drivetrain. I know Campy is coming out with tubeless wheels next year, but a) Don't want to wait b) I can get a great price on the Shimano wheels.

So how do I make this work?

1) Conversion cassettes - problem is the Wheels Manufacturing cassettes say they will not work with Shimano pre-built wheels. Is this because the wheels were 10 speed only LAST YEAR, or another reason. I know American Classic makes a conversion cassette, but i need either a 11-25 or 11-27 ratio, which they don't make.

2) Run SRAM rear deailleur and keep the Campy shifters. Leonard Zinn says this works great, and I could just use a SRAM cassette then. However, I don't want to buy a new rear derailleur, and I want to be able to run my current Campy wheel if need be.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this work? I wonder if the Wheels Manufacturing cassette can be modified at all to fit on the Dura-Ace wheel? I guess I should call Wheels Manufacturing and inquire about that. But wanted to ask the board first and see if anyone else had other ideas, or has actually tried this (whether it worked or not).

thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
The only difference in the cassettes is the spacing between the cogs. The spline pattern is what is different between Campy and Shimano. With some mfgs you can buy a freehub(that holds the splined cassette) for the other system (ie the old Cane Creek road wheels). I have a set of CC wheels for Shimano that came with a freehub for Campy - a simple swap. I seriously doubt Shimano offers this on their wheels and you won't want to spent the $50-$100.
I don't know the numbers(I think Sheldon's site might) but one can sometimes change the spacing between the cogs using shims to fit the other system. Then again some cassettes are one piece and not individual gears. FYI, SRAM cassettes are Shimano style.
You can try the DR swap or attaching the cable at a different location on the DR bolt but that's all iffy. Some say it works but I like it to work perfectly every time without rubbing etc. Remember, some "it works fine for me" may allow for some slop that you may not tolerate.
Sounds like you found a good deal on some nice wheels and are hoping to make them fit. They won't. Not without some sort of compromise. The freehub swap being the only "right" way that will make the system work as intended.
JMO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also looks like this might do the trick and allow me to keep my Campy rear derailleur

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I guess I would run a SRAM chain and since they list Shimano cassette working (with Campy 10 spd shifters and Campy rear derailleur), then I don't see why I can't use a SRAM cassette either.

Has anyone used on of these shiftmates?

Of course then I still get back to the problem of not being able to put in my Campy rear wheel in a hurry if I need to. I guess I will call Wheels Manufacturing and find out why they say their Campy conversion cassettes don't work with Shimano pre-built wheels. If I could get that to work that would be the easiest answer to the problem. I used one for a while with the original Powertap hub and it worked like a charm.

G

·
bdseaman said:
Also looks like this might do the trick and allow me to keep my Campy rear derailleur

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I guess I would run a SRAM chain and since they list Shimano cassette working (with Campy 10 spd shifters and Campy rear derailleur), then I don't see why I can't use a SRAM cassette either.

Has anyone used on of these shiftmates?

I use them all the time.

They work very well.

Many other people here use them all the time and are happy with them.

The search function would lead you to this conclusion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after talking to Wheels Manufacturing, it seems that their Campy 10 speed conversion cassette will NOT work due to the hub flange design of the pre-built Shimano wheels. And as I mentioned the American Classic conversion cassette doesn't come in the ratio I need.

So I decided to follow Leonard Zinn's advice and run my Campy 10 speed shifters with a SRAM Red rear derailleur, SRAM Red 11-26 cassette, and a SRAM chain.

I will let everyone know how it works. Worst case scenario I figure would be to put the Campy rear derailleur back on and run a Jtek shiftmate to get it shifiting with the SRAM cassette. But sounds like the SRAM rear mech will work just fine. I am psyched to go with the tubeless, and I really like the design of the new Shimano Dura-Ace wheel. I just wish my Campy Neutrons (best wheels ever made?? light, strong, reliable, great hubs) was tubeless compatible.

So my bike will have Campy shifters, front derailleur, and crankset, SRAM Red rear derailleur, cassette, and chain, Shimano wheelset, and Mavic brakes. Glad it isn't Eyetalian or some people on here would have a coniption. It is a BMC - Swiss designed, Chinese made. So might as well go international flavor with it all I guess.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I was a long time Campy fan, and switched to SRAM. The shifters are the best part--they're so ergonomic (look at the SRAM-inspired ergonomics from both Campy and Shimano for 09, if you don't think so) and they're more convenient to shift in the drops. If your Campy/SRAM setup doesn't work--you should definitely give full SRAM a try. It's great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have you tried riding the Shimano Tubeless setup?

I demo'd them for 2 days last month - did 150 miles. Certainly ride smooth (felt slightly better than a 25 mm) and the wheels are reasonably light. Tried em on railway tracks and rumble strips and were much better than regular 23 mms. Decent racing wheels but not really worth $1000. Too few spokes for training and/or touring - in my opinion. Wheels made a funny metallic sound as well.

However, I just stuck a pair of Pro Race 3's on my 32 spoke open pro/Ultegras and the ride is almost as good, and cornering is better.

The tubeless setup really shines on bad quality roads and Roubaix-type races. Didn't Philip Gilbert win one of the classics (LBL?) on them this year.

I think there's no urgency to go tubeless. Worth waiting for next year's campy compatible setups.

Mavic Ksyriums should be tubeless-compatible as well. Could be worth testing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.