Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gudday all from Down under,

Well need some and and piles of advise. i want to build a flat barred crosser and a frankenbike. Both will used for a little off road adventure but mostly as a tought cummuter to replace my current Bad Boy Ultra copy I have built using an On-One Inbred 26 frame.

Thinking of using a Gunnar or a Crosscheck as the basis, but as I have everything for a disc set up and would suit conditiona around here I'm looking for any option along those lines as well.

As for the Frankenbike need to know the BB width required to run either a compact crank or a road crank on a 26 MTB.

All info and pic in particular greately appreciated.

Ozbikebuddy.:confused:

· Registered
86 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
As for the Frankenbike need to know the BB width required to run either a compact crank or a road crank on a 26 MTB.:
To run a standard crank you may need a pretty wide BB, but it depends on the bike. I did this once years ago and had to run a 118. Similarly, my crossbike, which has 135mm mtb spacing, required a 113mm bottom bracket. This necessitated getting a ISIS crank since the new outboard style cranksets are more along the lines of 108mm and Shimano doesn't makes their Octalink road BB's in something like 109 and 118 (and MTB BB's are different). A road Compact might give you better chainring clearance, but you may still have issues with the crankarms hitting the stays (the problem I had on my crosser).

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks MrXC

Hi all,
still chasing some help on the flat barred crossed side of things, thinking along the lines of a flight crosser as can run a disc set up.

are there any other cross frames out there thay any1 know of that will take a 135 rear hub, and have a i/s disc mount?:thumbsup:

· Registered
86 Posts
Oz,

Didn't realize you were looking for frame recommendations too. Flyte (formerly Airborne) makes a 135mm spaced cross frame that looks decent. Also Surly and Soma are spacing their steel frames at 132.5mm so they can work with either 130 or 135 mm hubs. I'm not sure what availability is like near you, but the Flyte and Surly should be relatively easy to get your hands on online A few other companies may be taking either approach, but these are the 3 that jump to mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.