Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first road bike in August of last year, a Spec. Allez Elite. Have put 2,300 miles on it since then and love riding. I have upgrade fever, and am 99.9% ready to buy a Trek Madone 5.2SL. It is a lot of money at $3275 out the door, but I am sure I will enjoy the smooth ride so much more. I am not quite sure why I am having a hard time adding that extra 0.01% and just doing it. I would really like to test many bikes, but being tall for once is a disadvantage because no one stocks a 62cm bike to try out. I can ride a Trek 5.9 anytime, but am not able to get on any other bikes.

Any advice??

Should I try to wait and pick something up used?

Please help, this new bike fever is tough.

Thanks,
Jason

· Registered
22 Posts
IMO, if you don't have to have the newest bleeding edge tech and what not I would suggest trying to find good deals on used equipment. If you got the money to blow then go for it...I would! But if you're like the rest of us and trying to make you money go further go used.

As far as not being able to test ride the bike I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping 3k+ on something I hadn't ridden. Bummer about the size and not being able to test more bikes out. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Sorry my post probably didn't help you in any way! :)

· mad scientist
204 Posts
Agree with FtD. You can buy several nice bikes with that much dough. Maybe buy a cross bike and a nice road bike used. Or add a mountain bike or a fixie to the stable. Hard to have too many bikes unless you don't have space for them...Or buy a powertap...many options...

· Registered
214 Posts
pull the trigger

Buy the 5.2sl. I got a great deal on a 5.9 but if i had to pay full retail I would go with the 5.2sl. The 5.9 is stiff and the sl would probably be more comfortable and the ultegra will work just as well as dura ace. take the money you save and buy some wheels

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
For that money, you can get a custom frame and swap your Allez parts over and have a great bike that will last a LONG time. The parts are hardly used, and if I'm correct, they are Ultegra, so they are good quality.

For $2000 you can get a SWEET custom frame and have plenty of money left over. I'm 6'5" so I can relate to your problem in finding bikes to test ride. There were only two in my size in the shop when I bought my bike. For us tall guys, custom is the only way to go on a new frame. There are any number of custom frame builders who can take care of you and make spectacular products. The custom track frame I bought was one of the most fun, learning experiences I've ever had. And your bike will be basically a one off, so you won't see any others around. If that kind of thing appeals to you.

Either way, I wouldn't be in a rush to get a new bike until you are absolutely positive about what you want, and that it fits and rides exactly like you want it. Dropping $3275 during "upgrade fever time" could be an expensive mistake.

· Registered
595 Posts
196nautique said:
Bought my first road bike in August of last year, a Spec. Allez Elite. Have put 2,300 miles on it since then and love riding. I have upgrade fever, and am 99.9% ready to buy a Trek Madone 5.2SL. It is a lot of money at $3275 out the door, but I am sure I will enjoy the smooth ride so much more. I am not quite sure why I am having a hard time adding that extra 0.01% and just doing it. I would really like to test many bikes, but being tall for once is a disadvantage because no one stocks a 62cm bike to try out. I can ride a Trek 5.9 anytime, but am not able to get on any other bikes.

Any advice??

Should I try to wait and pick something up used?

Please help, this new bike fever is tough.

Thanks,
Jason
i think the shop has every obligation to get you a bike to test ride.. remember, you're the customer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.