Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my bikes is a 2013 Trek Domane 5.2. It has a Bontrager Race wheelset. Here are the specs:
1,690 grams/pair
23mm wide OSB alloy rims (622x17)
Forged aluminum cartridge bearing hubs features updated flange design
18 front and 24 rear 14/15g bladed spokes with Alpina locking alloy nipples
Includes Bontrager internal-cam skewers, TLR rim strips and TLR valve cores
Compatible with both Shimano and SRAM 9/10 spd cassettes
Compatible with both traditional, TLR and road tubeless clincher tires

I'm wanting something lighter but not with a real deep profile. I ride 75-100 miles a week and am 5'7" 145 lbs. I use Gatorskin 23 mm tires.
Budget is under $500...would like to keep it $300-400
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honest question...how is this possible if you've been here since May? Is it the device you're using? Is 'general' the only section the shows up?
I use my phone and never scrolled down to the bottom...by the time I got to the doping forum I lost interest

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Difficult to 'upgrade' when that's your budget. Key questions are what are you trying to achieve? Faster ride on straights, better climbing, visual appearance or simply you don't like the 'feel' of the current wheels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Difficult to 'upgrade' when that's your budget. Key questions are what are you trying to achieve? Faster ride on straights, better climbing, visual appearance or simply you don't like the 'feel' of the current wheels.
I was afraid my budget would not be enough. I've been road biking for 3 years and enjoy it. I'm the type of person who wants to improve at anything I do. I'm always at the front of the pack on the group rides and just want to be faster...mainly on the flats, I do fine on the climbs

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
He gets less than 1/4lb. lighter and a few mm deeper. Not saying it isn't a great wheel, but is that an upgrade worth $600? Not to me... Thanks for linking an example, I was wondering how much of an upgrade he might be able to get for that budget compared to his current wheels which are fine. Again, no knock at all on the wheels...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
If you want to go faster, ride in the drops.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Your current wheels retail for $360.00...how much of an upgrade are you expecting for a pair that cost only $40.00 more?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Not an answer to your question but may I suggest running the Continental 4 Seasons as opposed to Gatorskins.

They are very durable and ride much, much better than Gatorskins!
Exactly my first thought.

OP, you probably couldn't choose a slower tire.

If you're trying to buy some free speed, start by ditching those for something else (Conti GP4000s are pretty fast). That will have a bigger difference than switching your wheels.

And if you were planning on switching wheels and continuing with those tires, then you essentially just wasted your money.

They really are that slow.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I was afraid my budget would not be enough. I've been road biking for 3 years and enjoy it. I'm the type of person who wants to improve at anything I do. I'm always at the front of the pack on the group rides and just want to be faster...mainly on the flats, I do fine on the climbs
Then if you're really hankering to spend money to try and improve that, tires are where you should be looking with a low budget.

GP4000s with latex tubes are a very fast setup, though installation takes great care.

But of course, any equipment choice will pale in comparison to simply learning how to ride better and more efficiently in a group. Sometimes being faster simply means being smarter at doling out efforts. Takes a bit of patience and trial and error, though.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I use my phone and never scrolled down to the bottom...by the time I got to the doping forum I lost interest
@smokersteve may have cracked the case - why there are so (!) many wheel/tire posts in the General sub-forum... 'cause there a bunch of sub-forums to scroll past... sub-forums with very little traffic - like Classifieds, Coaching, Endurance Riding (or "Riding"), Save Some Weight, Tandems...

Lots (most?) forums have 3-5 of the main sub-forums at the top...
- General
- Wrenching
- Racing & Training
- Bikes, Frames & Forks
- Wheels & Tires
... then the rest in a pile at the bottom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts