Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bikes is a 2013 Trek Domane 5.2. It has a Bontrager Race wheelset. Here are the specs:
1,690 grams/pair
23mm wide OSB alloy rims (622x17)
Forged aluminum cartridge bearing hubs features updated flange design
18 front and 24 rear 14/15g bladed spokes with Alpina locking alloy nipples
Includes Bontrager internal-cam skewers, TLR rim strips and TLR valve cores
Compatible with both Shimano and SRAM 9/10 spd cassettes
Compatible with both traditional, TLR and road tubeless clincher tires

I'm wanting something lighter but not with a real deep profile. I ride 75-100 miles a week and am 5'7" 145 lbs. I use Gatorskin 23 mm tires.
Budget is under $500...would like to keep it $300-400
Thanks
Steve

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Try the sites of forum sponsors Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and Rol Wheels. They might have something in your price range. I can totally vouch for BWW.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
One of my bikes is a 2013 Trek Domane 5.2. It has a Bontrager Race wheelset. Here are the specs:
1,690 grams/pair
23mm wide OSB alloy rims (622x17)
Forged aluminum cartridge bearing hubs features updated flange design
18 front and 24 rear 14/15g bladed spokes with Alpina locking alloy nipples
Includes Bontrager internal-cam skewers, TLR rim strips and TLR valve cores
Compatible with both Shimano and SRAM 9/10 spd cassettes
Compatible with both traditional, TLR and road tubeless clincher tires

I'm wanting something lighter but not with a real deep profile. I ride 75-100 miles a week and am 5'7" 145 lbs. I use Gatorskin 23 mm tires.
Budget is under $500...would like to keep it $300-400
Thanks
Steve
If you are looking for better performance get a wheel set focused on aero no matter if it's heavier or the same weight with what you now have.
Weight reduction on its own saves a few watts but too little to be of consideration.
Google kraig Willett, Tom Anhalt to find articles substantiating the claim.
This is one I happen to have handy Alex's Cycle Blog: The sum of the parts II

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
If you want excellent wheels, look at Flo cycling. They'll set you back around $500ish, but wider rims definitely have a huge benefit.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you want excellent wheels, look at Flo cycling. They'll set you back around $500ish, but wider rims definitely have a huge benefit.
Huge ?, really ?.

Isn't this like the aero bar argument, where you really only benefit from the difference if you are regularly riding at 20mph or better ?.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Huge ?, really ?.

Isn't this like the aero bar argument, where you really only benefit from the difference if you are regularly riding at 20mph or better ?.
There are benefits other than speed. I think he was talking about 'wider rims' meaning internal width. He didn't say faster so could have been talking about smoother ride and cornering. I'd agree the benefits aren't HUGE but they are real IMO.

And benefiting from aero only if you ride over 20 is 100% false. Slower riders benefit MORE as measured by time reduction over a particular course.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Ribble sells the RS81 C24 (Ultegra level) for under $400 shipped. Slightly lighter than your current wheelset, but a heckuva lot stiffer. You will have some extra money leftover to replace those heavy and clumsy handling Conti gatorskins.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Huge ?, really ?.

Yes, really. It goes against conventional, but false, wisdom. I noticed better handling, and my speeds did increase. There's been studies as to why you also get faster: although you gain a tiny bit in aerodynamics, the bigger benefit comes from less fatigue that our muscles absorb, which takes energy. There's a post here that has a podcast where this has been studied far more scientifically.
CyclingTips Podcast, Episode 9: Rethinking road bike tire sizes and pressures | CyclingTips

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.