Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those those of you who don't know already, TO is the raccoon capital of north america. Buggers want to live under the deck. Go out raiding every night. Piss off the wife. Smell. Get their dirty paws on everything. Grow huge. It's war. All I can do is play the big dog. Sit out every evening. Make life uncomfortable for the buggers. At least 7 trying to cross my yard just now. Hose, stick, what can I do? no serious stuff allowed here in the land of peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
BB Gun

won't hurt them but will get their attention. Just use pellets and they will get the message plus you can work on your shooting skills.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,888 Posts
I have raccoon stories that would get me nothing but hate here....bikerjulio...a havaheart trap baited with apricot jam and marshmallows for young and CHEAP canned salmon for the adults. If you are interested in how to "unload" the trap, PM me

edit: as for teaching them a lesson...........don't even bother
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
bikerjulio said:
For those those of you who don't know already, TO is the raccoon capital of north america. Buggers want to live under the deck. Go out raiding every night. Piss off the wife. Smell. Get their dirty paws on everything. Grow huge. It's war. All I can do is play the big dog. Sit out every evening. Make life uncomfortable for the buggers. At least 7 trying to cross my yard just now. Hose, stick, what can I do? no serious stuff allowed here in the land of peace.

My kid has a pellet rifle that kills raccoons.

If you want to play World War I with the raccoons, buy some old fashioned crystalline toilet bowl cleaner. dump a pile under your deck and pour some bleach on it. DO NOT BREATHE THE GREEN GAS CREATED.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,888 Posts
hydrochloric acid gas is NOT a good idea
 

·
Master debator.
Joined
·
8,765 Posts
I'm sure if you search for a fly bait and Coke recipe, you'll find a nasty way to get rid of them. Otherwise get a dog, our shepherd brings like one a night home. At least the garden is safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is good. keep the ideas coming. I have things to look into...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
Raccoons near the house freak me out. They carry stuff beyond rabies that you don't want to mess with especially if there are kids around. Lemme introduce to you to my little friend Bayliascaris procyonis, a roundworm parasite... its eggs are shed by raccoons. If a human ingests the eggs, they can get the brain wormage and concomitant dain bramages...

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylisascaris_procyonis
The CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/baylisascaris/factsht_baylisascaris.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
jeebus said:
Raccoons near the house freak me out. They carry stuff beyond rabies that you don't want to mess with especially if there are kids around. Lemme introduce to you to my little friend Bayliascaris procyonis, a roundworm parasite... its eggs are shed by raccoons. If a human ingests the eggs, they can get the brain wormage and concomitant dain bramages...

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylisascaris_procyonis
The CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/baylisascaris/factsht_baylisascaris.htm
Yep, one made a latrine out of our basement steps and we have a kid. I was doing the boiling water and mask and gloves til I figured out how to block the area off and discourage it (barricade at the top of the steps ended up working).
 

·
I luv riding in WA
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
You might as well have fun while you're at it so try a wrist rocket slingshot firing sugar cubes. Oh wait, you're in Toronto so just buy them seasons tickets for the Leafs. Boredom kills.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,097 Posts
Follow TOG's advice. I am sure the follow up advice if you PM him has something to do with a creek and/or water.

How much do racoon hides bring these days?
 

·
I ride in circles..
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
Many people will freak out if you suggest killing them but if you have them many it's more than just a little trouble.. It's almost dangerous.

Trap em and sink em.. Nothing worse than a pissed off ****.. The other option is poison but then you need to retrieve the bodies.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,888 Posts
bigrider said:
Follow TOG's advice. I am sure the follow up advice if you PM him has something to do with a creek and/or water.

How much do racoon hides bring these days?
the skin's?..not that much, not worth the price unless you are selling hundreds of them

And yes...water is far more humane that most methods....again, experience speaking. They are NOT that easy to kill with a small caliber and it gets INCREDIBLY messy

edit: I am sure SOMEONE around has a trap you can borrow
 

·
Eddy 53:11
Joined
·
3,164 Posts
Call in an air strike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
A raccoon, or a group of raccoons, can cause major damage to your house. I know from 1st hand experience. Get ride of them asap by opening war on them. DO NOT use poisonous gas. Get a pellet gun and shot the critters or get a trap and take care of them that way. I became an expert trapper to get rid of mine. One way or another, you need to dispose of them. Do not call a pest control company or you be calling them again, and again, and again.
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
swimming lessons while contained in a live trap.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
DLMKA said:
swimming lessons while contained in a live trap.
+1 or a blue tick and .22 LR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Living in the country, we have a problem with '*****...they are nasty amimals that will THRASH you cat/dog causing untold damage/vet fees. At relatively close range I have had good luck with Remington 22 shorts or longs (even had CB caps work)...they usually need a follow-up "mercy" shot, but the first one takes them down. Again, living in the country, buzzards take care of the carcass...circle of life...YMMV.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top