Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love winter and even more I love riding in the winter.

But enough is enough, at least mentally I was ready for a change. This weekend did the trick.

Saturday we drove 30 miles out of town, parked the car and rode home on quiet country roads and the tow path.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course since we left the car out in the country on Saturday we had to go pick it up on Sunday.

The weather folks were saying the temps might even get up into the low 80's but that there was a chance of afternoon storms. Having the car out of town gave us a lot of options just in case the weather went south on us.

Well we did get pretty much got a little bit of every kind of weather associated with springtime warmth. Wind (on and off), rain (just a tad), sunshine (rarely) and the most amazing sky.

Our route took us from Georgetown straight out to Frederick for breakfast then we climbed out to Burkettsville and Brunswick where we took the tow path for a while.

Burkettsville is where the Blair Witch Project was filmed (much to the disgust of the locals who don't care for the attention). I fooled with the camera (shaking it and such) trying to get a "Witchy" photo with no luck at all. Then when I got home I find this washed out white photo of a goast-like Miss M that I am sure I didn't take.

How did it get there?

The other photo of note is Miss M's reflection. ComMUTer guy and I often have a laugh with my more formal photos of the Monuments and how they look just as good (if not better) turned upside down. I flipped this photo too to show that indeed it does look good upsidedown. The only question is, "Which one is the right one?"

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were keeping our eyes on the weather since we didn't want to get really wet. At Point of Rocks Miss M said that she had enough of the path for the weekend so we headed away from the river and up into the hills around Sugarloaf.

It was one of those days where in any 5 minutes the sun could shine and it would rain/drizzle a bit too. We figured that if things turned bad we could make a beeline for the car-otherwise we were going to take advantage of the warmth and ride till dark.

So that is what we did. Figure 120 miles for the day and I never felt cold at all-oh that was good!

Then we mowed through a quick Chinese take-out dinner and drove home through some really heavy rain.

What do you know? Autos may be worth something afterall-you just wouldn't want to drive them every year :cool: .

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Miss M looks cold in that jacket.

You don't know how happy I am to hear where you went riding. :D

I have a bunch of questions on the conditions of the towpath, roads, etc. but I will wait to see what you have picked out for us first.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When is your tour?

bigrider said:
Miss M looks cold in that jacket.

You don't know how happy I am to hear where you went riding. :D

I have a bunch of questions on the conditions of the towpath, roads, etc. but I will wait to see what you have picked out for us first.
We are heading off to Peru for a couple of weeks. If you are doing your ride this month I will get the routes together before we travel. Otherwise I don't plan on having them until the end of the month.

BTW all of your intended route is in good shape right now, you don't have to worry about the surfaces at all. I will be able to provide really detailed routes that include Point of Rocks, Harpers Ferry and Gettysburg starting and finishing from either York or Ellicot City. Just let me know which works better for you.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
We are not going until at the earliest the last week in April but most likely Mid-May. So no need to rush on the cue sheets.

Of course the whole thing is dependent on me losing enough weight to become a Weight Watchers poster child and getting some miles in during the spring. :D

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Great shots! I'm still experimenting with B&W. I have a bunch of my daughter that came out excellent but I'm not having as much luck with landscapes yet.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Great shots MB. Your Tow Path always looks like a horror movie with all the dark trees overhanging it. Expect to see a bunch of shadows shaped like little monster dudes. So what's in Peru?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts