Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curiuos about recommendations for pants when the temp tips below freezing, but with a few caveats;

- not interested in anything spandex.
- not worried in particular about waterproofing, I have a outer layer that does that. I just don't like using it often cause of the noise.

Thinking someone must make wool knickers, or maybe full length pants that since up at the ankles or something..

anyways, discuss away :) thanks.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I just break out the warm spandex when it gets cold....

That said, I do have a pair of Pearl Izumi Alpine pants that are really nice for cold weather workouts. Wind-resistant front, articulated vented knees, and very warm. They also fit nice and close at the ankles. They're loose enough that I could fit tights or a base layer underneath if it was really cold.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Do you live where people cross country ski? if so, look at xc ski clothes. Same thing.

One thing to consider- in the winter, you aren't moving fast. The wind, which was previously partly blocked by trees and grass now runs full speed across your path. Headwinds feel like walls of pain. Spandex helps this a little- there's nothing worse than feeling that headwind flapping in your pants and jacket- you can actually feel it slowing you down.

As for wool knickers, yup, they exist. You can make your own from a pair of wool thrift store dress pants- I've done this, but in the end, I always go back to the combo of wool socks, bike shorts, capaline long underwear and tights over everything- it's warm, wind proof, sheds snow and ice quickly, doesn't get caught in my chain.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Endura makes a great line of winter/cold weather riding gear. If you're looking for wool pants there's always the tried & true Army issue wool pants for cheap.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
I have some wool army pants that are great to very cold temps. They are cheap, warm, and have buttons to synch them at the bottom.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also checkout Foxwear.net. He custom makes everything from a variety of Polartec fabrics. If you specify your requirements he should be able to give you what you need. I've never ordered from him, but his reputation is very good.

Paul

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
legs cold?

I find my legs stay warmer than anything else on my body. Even at 20 degrees, one layer works, or tights over bike shorts. It helps to use long thick wool socks, though.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I wear Performance Triflex tights. In n early 50 years of adult cycling they're the warmest tights I've ever found. The fronts feel a little bulky, and they don't fit as tight as lighter weight tights. If these won't keep you warm you should move to Brazil.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Pearl Amphib tights keep me warm down to single digits without added insulation, but if you want trousers, I use heavy wool pants from the army navy store for winter camping and ice fishing...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll tell ya what I found - fleecy tight ish pants. Basically a base layer for skiiing. I had it at the bottom of my underwear drawer. Under some shorts they work great.

I was looking for curmugeron level gear that wasn't going to cost me much money :) Jackpot.

Thanks for suggestions folks.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Fixed said:
I find my legs stay warmer than anything else on my body. Even at 20 degrees, one layer works, or tights over bike shorts. It helps to use long thick wool socks, though.
I'd agree that legs tend to stay warmer than anything else on your body because they're doing all the work, but in my experience, if you don't keep them warm, the rest of you will get even colder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts