Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I have seen previous posts were riders heated their chain lube b/4 applying and an thought that it was an odd practice.

I had to clean my chain this week because, apparently, I hadn't gotten all the pre-packaged grease off (it collects and like beach sandals). I had my lube (Finish Line for now) in a cool place and it was going onto the chain in thick globs. So, I decided to warm the lube in the microwave. I loosened the cap and zapped it of 15 seconds - not enough I figured, so I hit it for another 10 seconds.

When I went out and started applying the lube, I was amazed. The lube soaked into the plate and roller junctions right away! I had very little lube to wipe off after letting it sit for a couples of hours.

I took my bike out for a quick spin b/4 my ride and shifts were clean and smooth (though maybe a tad noisier).

Now all I need is a TriFlow style cap and tube :thumbsup:

I no longer consider those who warm up their lube to be a bit obsessive. :)

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Warming oil based lubes thins them and improves penetration, or at least speeds it up.

But a warning here, warming lubes that contain solvents, like most of the dry lubes, has no benefit and can create a fire or explosion hazard if the solvents are flammable.

The best and safest way to warm lubes is by standing the bottles in a cup or hot water for a few minutes, outdoors to vent any fumes or odor.

BTW- warming the chain is more effective than warming the oil, since the oil cools rapidly when it hits a cool chain.

· Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FBinNY said:
BTW- warming the chain is more effective than warming the oil, since the oil cools rapidly when it hits a cool chain.
But a bit tricky when on a bike :wink:

I wouldn't warm a dry lube (I only use dry lube for my cleats anyway). I do realize that the microwave was a dumb idea - next time I'll just let it sit in the sun, just need to be warm, not screaming hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.