Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...my upgrade went through for the 2008 season to race with the Killer B's. Anyways, since my race was always the first one off in the morning it was easy for me to do my entire warm-up before my race, but it looks like this year I'll be racing in the afternoon (yay for warmer temps and sleeping in later!) so I'm thinking that it won't be as easy to get my warm-up in on the course since there will be other races going on before mine. What does everyone else do for warm-ups? Do most of you just try to ride on local roads or do you all resort to your trainers (yuck)? I've got a pair of rollers as well but am uncertain as to whether or not the cross tires will ruin the rollers? Am I the only one who despises warming up on a trainer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually race in my Masters category first, since they're almost always before the Cat1/2/3 races. I don't race them to do well, they just serve as a great warm-up, especially if they end right before the race I want to do seriously. The 40+ races are usually only 45 minutes plus a lap or two, so you should have enough time to get your bike cleaned up and get something to drink before you have to be back on the start line. If it's going to be close, I just drop out of the early race with 15 minutes to go, since I don't care about placing in that category anyway. If there is more than 20 minutes to kill before I race again, I bring a dry uniform to change into and put my shoes and gloves in front of the car heater vent to dry them out, or at least keep them from freezing into icebergs :p

The best part is that you get to actually learn the course at race speed and know exactly what line you need to take through the corners, when to dismount, how hard the run ups are, whether it's faster to run or ride that sand pit, etc. Jogging around the course on foot then warming up on a trainer might get you physically ready, but you're at a mental disadvantage to anyone who has already raced it.

edit: Of course, this assumes there is an earlier category you can race in. If you're a Cat 3 but aren't old enough for Masters, a lot of races have an earlier Cat 3/4 race, and then a Cat 1/2/3 race at the end of the day. Doing both serves the same purpose. And riding knobby tires on your rollers won't hurt them, it just makes for a loud warm-up.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, I'm 26 so not old enough for Masters yet. Most of the Verge races have a cat 2/3 field and the next field below is Cat 4. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
DRLski said:
Do most of you just try to ride on local roads or do you all resort to your trainers (yuck)?
I just use a trainer. I find it more effective and less hazardous when it is sketchy out. Its nice to start the race without already having to fix a flat, being soaked in muddy slush or nursing a full body bruise after slamming on some ice in the parking lot.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
I just use a trainer. I find it more effective and less hazardous when it is sketchy out. Its nice to start the race without already having to fix a flat, being soaked in muddy slush or nursing a full body bruise after slamming on some ice in the parking lot.
+ eleventy. Easier, warmer, and you can get a better warm up. If you have time, hop off before your race and get a quick lap or 2 in as the previous race ends. Plus, it looks "pro".:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have a spare road tire/wheel combo with a simple cassette. Do the warmup on the trainer and then change out the wheel and get your tire pressures set. Cruise a bit, if you can preride a lap, do so or at least walk and check out the first 200 yards of the course as that will determine 50% of your race placement. If you can watch the previous Cat start, do so.

Check out the Carmichael "The Ultimate Ride" book as it has a great crit warmup that should be great for cross. Basically taps and get all systems "online" for the race.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greg Hejtmanek said:
What about the SS class? It usually runs pretty early if your races have one.
Most of the races in NE don't have a SS class. That would be very cool if they did though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.