Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the original owner of a 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team bicycle. I used it for a commute of 52 kilometers round trip for several years. It was my summer bike and saw rain just once. It was never crashed prior to the incident described below.

The fork on this bike is the Wolf CL.

While accelerating in traffic the handlebars of my bike snapped off without warning. (The fork steering tube broke). I hit the pavement so hard my helmet cracked. I broke my right collar bone. A tourniquet was required on the street to stop the flow of blood from the puncture wound on my right leg.

Prior to my buying the bike, Cervelo had recalled the Wolf SL fork that was used on Cervelo bikes.

The Wolf SL fork recall was due to cracking steering tubes. (The Wolf SL is all carbon – while the Wolf CL has a metal steering tube)

Recalls | Cervélo Cycles

After the incident I went onto Cervelo’s forum, (can’t seem to log onto it now). It appears I am not the first person to have a Wolf CL fork snap just below the stem.

I took a picture of the other person’s incident off the Cervelo forum, (attached). This other incident occurred several years ago. The poster said Cervelo replaced his bike.

My bike has a lifetime warranty. When I asked Cervelo for a warranty fix they declined. They said they require the original receipt, (though the original owner of the bike store confirms I bought this bike from them). They also said the metal steering tube had corrosion on it, and I should have had it inspected.

I definitely regret not asking any of my bike mechanics to take my fork out for inspection during routine maintenance.

Ironically, here is a VeloNews article featuring Cervelo co-founder Phil White. In it, Mr. White talks about the danger of failing forks / steering tubes. He even says, "...nobody ever takes their fork out of their bike to inspect the steerer."

Cervelo founder calls for industry-wide fork steerer test – VeloNews.com

I am posting this to warn any owners of bikes with the Wolf CL fork. Though my injuries will probably affect me forever,
I consider myself lucky. I could easily have been thrown into moving traffic.

If you have a bike with this fork – PLEASE have it inspected.

Thanks, David

Attachments

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,607 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear about your experience. Can't believe you had corrosion like that after only one ride in the rain. Do you put that bike on a trainer where you drop sweat over that area a lot?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes! Sorry to hear about your experience. Can't believe you had corrosion like that after only one ride in the rain. Do you put that bike on a trainer where you drop sweat over that area a lot?
Thanks for the comments. Never had it on a trainer. I did wash it once or twice per season, but always patted it dry. Thx.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Did you take those pictures with your phone? U should try to have them in focus. Sorry about your accident, don't by cervelo!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,607 Posts
Did you take those pictures with your phone? U should try to have them in focus. Sorry about your accident, don't by cervelo!
I know at least a few people who had Cervelos and bought another bike because they were less than satisfied with them. Granted none of them had a catastrophic experience like Road Guy did, just sayin.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I know carbon and aluminum forks have succumbed to failure at the location of your failure, but I have never heard of a steel steerer having such a failure. I have also never seen a steel steerer fail due to rust, especially at that location. It had to be a True Temper material issue.

Yeah; I get Cervelo not honoring the warranty without the receipt. But the shop owner wasn't able to look through computer records to dredge it up for you?

You were fortunate in that you'll ride again. Buy another fork, but not a Wolf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first pic of my bike should be sharp. The second pic of someone else's bike is a screen-shot using a cell phone off the Cervelo forum a while back. I am recently retired, (meaning low-tech lol).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Seems negligence on the part of fork manufacturers as it’d be easy to have the carbon woven with even a small amount of kevlar and would hold it together when the rest break.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the early days, I had a lot of respect for Cervelo. Not anymore. I fondly remember the Cervelo Test Team.

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
The first pic of my bike should be sharp.
It's not. It's super compressed.
The pic resolution is 4032x3024 and only 1.8MB in size. A photo that size would normally be 5-8MB.

"They also said the metal steering tube had corrosion on it, and I should have had it inspected."
How did they determine this? Because you can't tell from that photo. Did they personally inspect it? Or have other photos?
Merely having corrosion on something is not indicative of anything.

·
Registered
449 Posts
cervelo seem like haagen dazs with their fancy name making them seem gourmet but really just another chinese manufacturer. if they dont even honor their warranty its a label of shame. speaking of chinese frame makers ive only had great experiences with the no-name brands of alibaba

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team bicycle. I used it for a commute of 52 kilometers round trip for several years. It was my summer bike and saw rain just once. It was never crashed prior to the incident described below.

The fork on this bike is the Wolf CL.

While accelerating in traffic the handlebars of my bike snapped off without warning. (The fork steering tube broke). I hit the pavement so hard my helmet cracked. I broke my right collar bone. A tourniquet was required on the street to stop the flow of blood from the puncture wound on my right leg.

Prior to my buying the bike, Cervelo had recalled the Wolf SL fork that was used on Cervelo bikes.

The Wolf SL fork recall was due to cracking steering tubes. (The Wolf SL is all carbon – while the Wolf CL has a metal steering tube)

Recalls | Cervélo Cycles

After the incident I went onto Cervelo’s forum, (can’t seem to log onto it now). It appears I am not the first person to have a Wolf CL fork snap just below the stem.

I took a picture of the other person’s incident off the Cervelo forum, (attached). This other incident occurred several years ago. The poster said Cervelo replaced his bike.

My bike has a lifetime warranty. When I asked Cervelo for a warranty fix they declined. They said they require the original receipt, (though the original owner of the bike store confirms I bought this bike from them). They also said the metal steering tube had corrosion on it, and I should have had it inspected.

I definitely regret not asking any of my bike mechanics to take my fork out for inspection during routine maintenance.

Ironically, here is a VeloNews article featuring Cervelo co-founder Phil White. In it, Mr. White talks about the danger of failing forks / steering tubes. He even says, "...nobody ever takes their fork out of their bike to inspect the steerer."

Cervelo founder calls for industry-wide fork steerer test – VeloNews.com

I am posting this to warn any owners of bikes with the Wolf CL fork. Though my injuries will probably affect me forever,
I consider myself lucky. I could easily have been thrown into moving traffic.

If you have a bike with this fork – PLEASE have it inspected.

Thanks, David
So this is a steel steerer? I do see some corrosion there but the picture doesn't show if its just on the surface or if it caused the failure. Having the bars snap off is a scary experience. I don't regularly check my steerer tube other when I service the headset

·
Registered
449 Posts
Steel steerer:
Never seen a steel steerer on carbon fork.

Adding a metal steerer sleeve adds risks with possible air incisions and galvanic corrosion between it and carbon and must be well insulated from each other. You wouldn’t see either with a visual inspection and would need to do x-rays or something.
But it looks like this isn’t the case and the steerer doesn’t have carbon and broke at a purely steel location. Hard to see how much corrosion and hope you post a better pic.

they should put a coat of some kind of resin on the steel steerer at least to protect it.

If my car‘s steering wheel broke off while driving I’m sure the argument that I should’ve been looking at corrosion and my own fault wouldn’t hold up in court or the eyes of anyone

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,607 Posts
cervelo seem like haagen dazs with their fancy name making them seem gourmet but really just another chinese manufacturer. if they dont even honor their warranty its a label of shame. speaking of chinese frame makers ive only had great experiences with the no-name brands of alibaba
Pretty much. They were actually a Canadian company that was eventually sold to a Dutch holding company which also owns Raleigh, Focus and Santa Cruz:

Cervélo - Wikipedia?wprov=sfla1

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Steel does not 'snap', it stretches and/or bends. Now if it pot metal, it will shear.

·
Registered
449 Posts
“Steel” is a broad category.
Mild steel will bend but “stronger” steels with more carbon or other alloying materials or hardened are more likely to snap/shear. I’d be surprised if they used a mild steel for the steerer.

that machine uses a blade. It more so cuts than shears in the usual sense

·
Registered
18,333 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
mild steel, yes has a bit of carbon, can shear but of all the steels it’s most likely to bend

“supported” I guess meaning it cuts almost the whole tube with a blade

You won’t be doing any calculating of shear strength with formulas for non-tube shapes of alloys you don’t know no matter how many times you post it.

your writing looks like an 8year old having a fit. Uh, yea.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts