Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
... so the shop owner knows you bought the bike from him new? .... and he's not willing to recreate the reciept from his & your bank records? ... and obviously it's a cervello? ... and they are not going to honor their warrenty?
Just want to be clear.
The bike store changed ownership, but the original owner confirms I bought the bike there. The bike store went back and forth with Cervelo I was told - but Cervelo insists on requiring the original receipt. Plus I never had the fork out of the bike for inspection. Thanks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I rode that exact frame and fork for several years. I really liked that bike, it rode well. Eventually the frame cracked around the seat tube and Cervelo replaced it with a new S2 carbon frame.
Sorry to hear about this happening to you. Thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention. I've never heard of a fork failure like this with a metal steerer tube. Horrible.
Thanks. Yes, it was a nice bike. Really don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Reminds me of when Hincappe's steerer tube broke in the Paris Roubaix. Happened right below the stem, as I remember.

That steerer tube looks like it has a pretty thin wall thickness; not like older 1" steel forks that came on steel bikes back in the day. As such, I think it's a lot more sensitive to stuff like too many spacers under the stem (like in the 1st photo), overtorquing the stem bolts, a stem that puts too much concentrated load/stress on the steerer due to cutouts, star nut gouging the inside of the tube, etc. In other words, whatever recommendations are given in setting up a fork with carbon steerer tube might be prudent to be applied here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 43 of 43 Posts