Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone care to give a description of any sounds or such that I would be noticing? my bike is making an odd sound from the drivetrain, sort of similar to chain rub or chatter, but I'm pretty certain it's neither of those. tried the barrel adjustment on the RD, but that didn't seem to help any. seems to happen only when i'm putting some force on the pedals. i was doing a long, shallow grade climb today in the 19 and 17 tooth cogs, and could hear it pretty severely, so i turned around and headed back. but it wasn't making the noise on the downward journey.

pretty certain it's not seatpost related, as it was doing it while standing also. so far i've taken the chain off and am cleaning it, and am going to inspect it for wear and cracks, taken off the cassette and cleaned it and greased the freehub splines. the cogs didn't appear too worn, no obvious hooked teeth. gonna put it all back together again and try the same ride to see if it's still making the noise before i go pulling the bottom bracket. although i may just let the shop handle that part.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Couple of things to try.

sit next to the bike and grab both pedals (or crankarms) and try to wiggle them back and forth, alternately pulling them toward you and pushing them away.. You shouldn't feel any play at all. Also, try "unshipping" the chain, moving it off to the inside so it hangs on the BB shell, and rotate the cranks. They should spin smoothly and quietly, no vibes or noise. If you have a crank puller, you can pull off the crankarms and turn the BB spindle with your fingers--it's easier to feel dragging or grinding that way. Everything should be smooth, tight and quiet, with no more resistance than the grease provides. If the spindle feels rough, binds or is "notchy," it needs work.
Servicing a BB is no big deal in most cases. Check www.parktool.com or just search for instructions.

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the chain's still off right now, and the BB seems to spin easily and freely. I had planned on pulling the BB myself, but don't have the 24 mm socket needed to tighten it back to torque spec. got that on order from Sears at this very moment.

but i'll get the chain back on and everything lubed up, and see if it's still making the noise tomorrow. if so, then it's a trip to the shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.