Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crashed Sunday on a ride and my helmet did it's job. Unfortunatedly the Smith glasses I was wearing made my injuries much worse. Instead of breaking at the pivot point, they snapped into sharp pieces and one of them put a 2" long and deep gash in my forehead which needed stitches.

Don't assume you are safer wearing glasses (especially Smiths), because you may not be. I'm lucky one of these pieces did not impact my eye. Amazing that something that is advertised as shatter resistant easilly broke into these sharp objects.

I sent them an email Monday morning and they have chosen not to respond. Please consider your eyewear carefully or this may happen to you:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow, I've had Smith sliders for years now and having biffed it pretty badly on the slopes I've never had a problem. Of course the road is much harder.
Have you contacted Smith about this? I've had good luck with their customer service when ordering replacement lenses.

Thanks for the heads up

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Don't assume you are safer wearing glasses (especially Smiths)
You are correct in that one shouldn't assume that they are necessarily safe while wearing eyewear. I once had a glass sunglass lens shatter when a tree branch whipped back from the rider in front of me and struck my glasses while mountain biking. Luckily, nothing went into my eye.

However, I can't say that I agree with the "especially Smiths" part of your comment. I know a good bit about the various sports eyewear products out there and I can tell you that if that happened to those glasses, it would've happened to just about any other make/model of glasses out there. No eyewear is magically bulletproof...anything will shatter under the right circumstances.

Smith is about as good of a company to deal with as anyone could possibly hope for in the world of cycling and sports products. Try giving them a call, I'm sure someone there will express concerns about what happened to you.

·
Racial Profiler
371 Posts
BenWA said:
No eyewear is magically bulletproof...anything will shatter under the right circumstances.
Didn't Oakley have a ad campaign running a few years back where they shot the lens with a .22 and it stopped the bullet?

Ahhh... here it is

http://oakley.com/technology/impact_protection/

But I don't think it is magical... although they may use Unicorn horn in the polycarbonate mixture...

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed both Smith's warranty and main email address with photos and got nothing back. Their eyewear is supposed to be ANSI rated. It's a shame they are hiding on this one and won't call or email me.

I just wanted others to be aware of this issue. If they ever respond, I'll post what they say about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Meh...I've had smith mainlines for years and they've been fine. I've also had a number of Oakleys that have broken in much the same way. No sunglasses are going to protect you if you faceplant, they are to keep the sun and bugs out of your eyes.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
mr clean said:
I emailed both Smith's warranty and main email address with photos and got nothing back. Their eyewear is supposed to be ANSI rated. It's a shame they are hiding on this one and won't call or email me.

I just wanted others to be aware of this issue. If they ever respond, I'll post what they say about it.
How long ago did you e-mail them? They may take their time but eventually get back to you. No offense, but you are probably not the first person to ever smash a pair of sunglasses in a crash on pavement, ANSI rated or not, so they probably don't see your case quite as outstanding/unusual as you do, and you may thus not be as high on their priority list as you would like to be. Why not give them a call and speak with someone directly? You'll have a much better chance of getting some feedback that way.

I have sent numerous of broken pairs of Smiths back in for warranty (many/most were my fault) and they have given me a new pair every time, no questions asked. I'm sure if someone reports an injury "caused by" their product, they'll at the very least have the decency to hear you out.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well helmets dont break into sharp pieces worsening your crash. My helmet is trashed. I'm not looking for another one.

The frames should have broken at the pivot point. They didn't. They broke into sharp pieces. I called the company and emiled them photos of the frames. No answer. No response.

I'm not trashing Smith, but when a company is selling a product that is recommended for riding and highly impact resistant, they owe answers to consumers when they structurally fail and cause injuries.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
My only advice, you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I've had a few dealings with companies and noticed the response was much better when I was amicable towards them as opposed to the company that I reported to the BBB. Bet you can guess which company drug their feet as much as they could. If for no other reason than to be a thorn in my side.

Learn from my, sometimes painful, mistakes...

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
mr clean said:

It's the lenses that are ANSI certified, not the frames.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only advice, you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I've had a few dealings with companies and noticed the response was much better when I was amicable towards them as opposed to the company that I reported to the BBB.
I have't reported them to the BBB or anything like that. I have called tham and sent two emails with my phone number with no reply. I have been nothing but respectful to them and still no response. The only place I have posted my experience is here.

It's the lenses that are ANSI certified, not the frames.
And the reason for my post. People think glasses are safe, but my experience tells a different story. What's the good of ANSI rated lenses when the frame shatters? I never thought the frames would break like this and cut my face open.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A really tough customer service problem

mr clean said:
I sent them an email Monday morning and they have chosen not to respond. Please consider your eyewear carefully or this may happen to you:
Sorry about your crash, sounds like a real bummer. Sure glad you were wearing a helmet.

I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the support person who answers the email. You really present a difficult problem. You abused this item beyond any doubt, so what exactly do you want done? They should not replace the glasses right? You want them to say they are sorry? Clearly they don't own you money for your medical bills. If you had run over the glasses with your car, what do they owe you then? I think the support person must kick the issue upstairs and wait for them to decide what to do. They don't want to be sued because you crashed.

I'm not surprised by a long pause before you get a response, and I don't think I would answer you at all. There are some customers that you can't engage and you have to send them out in the world pissed off with you. The company has to decide if they lose less leaving you pissed off or writing you back. If you call, they can say sorry without the lawsuit threat. But what do you want them to do for you if you do call?

I don't think that any brand would survive better faced with the kind of force you put on them. You are talking about more force than you could generate with your bare hands.

I hope in a couple of weeks you feel better and this is a great war story to tell your buddies someday in the future. Sometimes that is the best thing, a little distance and feeling great again.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From their website:

Which sunglasses would you recommend for mountain biking and other fast-paced sports?

The Interchangeable Series offers a highly shatter-resistant, versatile, interchangeable lens system for varied light conditions. The lightweight Grilamid frames with hydrophilic Megol nosepads (with the exception of the Slider 01 model) and temples help keep the Sliders on your face where you need them. Or check out the Lifestyle series, which offers the same features as the Interchangeable Series but has a fixed lens. All lenses are Carbonic and equipped with Tapered Lens Technology and 100% UV protection.

I just want them to explain why they broke like they did and hopefully look into it and improve their product. I would have been fine if I was not wearing these glasses. All the facial injuries I sustained were from the sharp broken edges.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
mr clean said:

What did you say in the email? Two things come to mind regarding the delay in responding.
  1. The tone of your email
  2. The time it takes for their legal advisors to vet the reply, as they don't know your intentions.
So post the email. Let's see how you approached them.

I would be peeved that I'd not received an acknowledgement email, however.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
mr clean said:
I just want them to explain why they broke like they did and hopefully look into it and improve their product. I would have been fine if I was not wearing these glasses. All the facial injuries I sustained were from the sharp broken edges.
They broke the way they did because of the way your face impacted the pavement. There is so much physics involved in a real crash that it is difficult for manufacturers to test for EVERY situation. The ANSI tests are very specific. You will note that not a single ANSI test involves dropping a 150lb cyclist onto the glasses. Get over it! Did the lenses break? NO! Did your eyes get injured? NO!

Do you think that Oakleys or Rudy Projects would have fared any better? I doubt it. I know that I personally stopped buying Oakleys many years ago due to how flimsy there frames were. For some reason, I don't think that $150.00 sunglasses should fall apart quite so easily. I broke Oakley frames in every imanaginable place over a span of about 5 years. After sending the frames back under warrenty multiple times I they sent me a letter letting me know that they would not replace any more broken frames for me. And I never once dropped myself onto them:mad:

You had a crash, and your glasses broke as a result of the extreme forces applied to the frames due to impact with the pavement. What exactly are looking for from Smith? An apology? Sorry you dropped your noggin on our product? A new pair of glasses? Congratulations on dropping your noggin on our product! A refund? Sorry you dropped your noggin on our product, hear is some cash to make you feel better while you recover.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Looking at their write-up...

mr clean said:
From their website:

Which sunglasses would you recommend for mountain biking and other fast-paced sports?

The Interchangeable Series offers a highly shatter-resistant, versatile, interchangeable lens system for varied light conditions. The lightweight Grilamid frames with hydrophilic Megol nosepads (with the exception of the Slider 01 model) and temples help keep the Sliders on your face where you need them. Or check out the Lifestyle series, which offers the same features as the Interchangeable Series but has a fixed lens. All lenses are Carbonic and equipped with Tapered Lens Technology and 100% UV protection.

The glasses did exactly what they said. The LENSES are designed not to shatter. They say nothing at all about the frames other than they are designed to stay on your face.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
mr clean said:
From their website:

No part of any statements I've read from Smith say anything about the frame construction. All of the info pertaining to impact resistance pertains to the lenses.

"The Interchangeable Series offers a highly shatter-resistant, versatile, interchangeable LENS SYSTEM for varied light conditions."

Sorry you were hurt but with your noggin and face hitting the ground how where you able to determine it was the frames that gashed you?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
That is what I was thinking: the guy doesn't know how to land on his face properly. I could have given him some pointers.

I face planted wearing Rudys and had the lenses replaced with their crash protection plan... cool stuff. Nothing on the glasses was broken- but the lenses were very scratched up. I had a nasty gash on the bridge of my nose, but that is to be expected.

freezin_is_the_reason said:
They broke the way they did because of the way your face impacted the pavement. There is so much physics involved in a real crash that it is difficult for manufacturers to test for EVERY situation. The ANSI tests are very specific. You will note that not a single ANSI test involves dropping a 150lb cyclist onto the glasses. Get over it! Did the lenses break? NO! Did your eyes get injured? NO!

Do you think that Oakleys or Rudy Projects would have fared any better? I doubt it. I know that I personally stopped buying Oakleys many years ago due to how flimsy there frames were. For some reason, I don't think that $150.00 sunglasses should fall apart quite so easily. I broke Oakley frames in every imanaginable place over a span of about 5 years. After sending the frames back under warrenty multiple times I they sent me a letter letting me know that they would not replace any more broken frames for me. And I never once dropped myself onto them:mad:

You had a crash, and your glasses broke as a result of the extreme forces applied to the frames due to impact with the pavement. What exactly are looking for from Smith? An apology? Sorry you dropped your noggin on our product? A new pair of glasses? Congratulations on dropping your noggin on our product! A refund? Sorry you dropped your noggin on our product, hear is some cash to make you feel better while you recover.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.