Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small crack in my Ritchey WCS fork about three weeks ago. It looked like it was entirely clearcoat, but if the clearcoat was cracking, the carbon was flexing. Not good.

Anywhoo, long story short, Ritchey won't do anything, which doesn't really surprise me. I bought the fork on eBay, not really thinking at the time that it might be another eBay something that fell off the truck in Taiwan. Ritchey is a good company, and I figured they would want to protect their name as badly as they SHOULD want not to have their name emblazoned on stolen goods. No dice, but I understand. At least I only paid $180 or so dollars for it.

After I the Ritchey off, I let me curiosity get the best of me and put the dropout in a vice. I was surprised at how little leverage it took to get it off. It just went crack, and there was the pulling-of-fibers sound.

If you own one of these forks, keep an eye on it, but don't bother asking Ritchey for help: we exchanged many friendly emails, and an industry friend of mine even went to chat with them at Sea Otter, all to no avail. Oddly, Ritchey told me that the legit version of the WCS fork has "no aluminum in the dropout whatsoever," which I know to be hooey. Excel is spec'cing these on their 1-2 team issue bikes this year, and theirs are identical to mine. Somebody is lying, but I'm tired of trying to deal with it.

So I replaced it with a fork I've always wanted, and a front end that will match the stiffness of my frame. Half a pound gained - lots of worries, gone.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,994 Posts
Glued to get her

Personally, that's why I'll never own a carbon fiber bike. Anyways, there's a story of a Dr. here in Sandy Eggo who went on a bike ride on Thanksgiving when he had a carbon fiber fork "malfunction" and was killed.

·
off the back
15,270 Posts
wow, that Wound-Up fork is only 74 grams lighter than my Mondonico steel fork.

·
Registered
202 Posts
SDizzle said:
Ritchey told me that the legit version of the WCS fork has "no aluminum in the dropout whatsoever," which I know to be hooey. Excel is spec'cing these on their 1-2 team issue bikes this year, and theirs are identical to mine. Somebody is lying, but I'm tired of trying to deal with it.

Ritchey is correct. the wcs fork has no full aluminum dropout. the excel team bikes are using the Ritchey WCS fork and they do not have full aluminum tabs. Sounds like you got a bad ebayer....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rufus said:
wow, that Wound-Up fork is only 74 grams lighter than my Mondonico steel fork.
Yeah, no kidding. I just wrote to WU and the eBay seller from whom I bought it to find out if it's the tandem model. The rake and A-C compare to the Ritchey, so it's not incredibly wierd. But yes, it is HEAVY.

And as far as steel goes...it was either buy a Wound Up now, or wait for custom steel. I'm glad I didn't wait - for sure - but I'm still looking into a nice steel fork. I've only ridden this fork once, but I must say: Wound Up is the steel of carbons. This sh!t is STIFF. I haven't felt steering so precise since the Surly Instigator fork I had on my rigid SS MTB!

And cocoboots - the last time I rode with some of the Excel guys, they had forks with the same aluminum faces as mine. Still carbon dropouts, but covered in a thin layer of aluminum. Maybe I should swing by the shop?

·
Registered
202 Posts
i pulled the info from their own website, so i wouldn't know for a fact. Just going on what they say they ride.
http://excelsportscycling.com/index.php?id=equipment

but then again, you may be privy to more accurate info than their site as you ride with them and i'm 6 states away and don't know them.

have you complained to the ebayer? why not have your industry friend warranty it for you? my local shop warranties ridiculous things for people who spend lots of cash with them, so i'm sure your industry friend could just slip it in on a claim or whatever they do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is the risk with Ebay. You do not have any recourse with the manufacturer unless you bought it off an official dealer with receipts (on Ebay). The LBS is of course the way to go for up close and personal relationships.

I thought everyone knew that?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
SDizzle said:
I noticed a small crack in my Ritchey WCS fork about three weeks ago. It looked like it was entirely clearcoat, but if the clearcoat was cracking, the carbon was flexing. Not good.
How many times did you go down on that fork?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was brand new, uncut. It was not in factory packaging. And yes, the seller was Sting303, Ritchey knows about him, and I don't know just what they plan on doing. There is recourse they can take through the proper channels at eBay, but I think they might first have to prove they were stolen. To anyone who bought one of these, I would recommend not riding it anymore (duh). Big bummer, I know. I'm not really in a position (student) just to throw away $180 here and there, but sometimes this is how the chips fall.

I laid the bike down twice with the Ritchey fork, but neither were at speeds higher than 8mph or so, and in both I just sort of fell over. Never hit anything with it. I can safely say that a crash is NOT the source of this, though I'm still not sure what is. I inspected the Excel forks again at a race yesterday, and they do in fact look identical to mine. Not sure what Ritchey is thinking there. To reiterate - the dropouts ARE carbon (as advertized), but they have an aluminum face. Good luck to all you other Ritchey WCS fork owners - if you're looking for a replacement, Wound Up rocks! (As far as the weight goes, I'm pretty sure I got the tandem model. The regular model really is about 440g.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
In appearance it looks like the real deal Ritchey WCS Carbon Fork from their website. When you spin it in 3-D it appears to have the same contours as the one in your photo on the scales.

Did Ritchey have soem early releases of their forks with alloy dropouts possibly?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drjones96 said:
In appearance it looks like the real deal Ritchey WCS Carbon Fork from their website.
No kidding. That's why I think Ritchey is lying to me. One more time... The dropouts on my fork are NOT aluminum. They ARE carbon. They DO have aluminum faces. The current retail model - which I think mine actually is - ALSO HAS aluminum dropout faces, over CARBON dropouts. Just like mine. As a slight aside, the current Ritchey Pro fork has ALL ALUMINUM dropouts; mine is different from this model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SDizzle said:
No kidding. That's why I think Ritchey is lying to me. One more time... The dropouts on my fork are NOT aluminum. They ARE carbon. They DO have aluminum faces. The current retail model - which I think mine actually is - ALSO HAS aluminum dropout faces, over CARBON dropouts. Just like mine. As a slight aside, the current Ritchey Pro fork has ALL ALUMINUM dropouts; mine is different from this model.
OK well if you would like to make a distinction between aluminum dropouts and aluminum inserts that's up to you. I don't really see the difference. It's still aluminum bonded to carbon (in your case: not bonded) and you are still clamping your skewer to an aluminum dropout.

But tell me this. Have you held a WCS and a PRO fork in your hands and been able to tell them apart? As best I can tell the forks are identical in appearance with the exeption of the decals and the dropouts. Decals can be altered.

PRO:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...n+Fork+Pro&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=3

WCS:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...n+Fork+WCS&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your ebayer "sting303" is from Taiwan. He is also no longer an ebay member. At least not under his old name. He's made a buck and now he's moving on.

My guess is he's close to the operation where they actually produce the forks and got his hands on some rejects or some "mislabled" PRO forks and was selling the stuff off for way more than he had in it.

Edit: Reviewed selling history. The one negative comment that he had was in January this year concerning a fork. I'd be this was one like yours and had a similar problem. Here's a quote:

Comment: Fork damaged by seller, distributor or Ritchey. Seller would not exchange/refund
Reply by sting303: help has been offered... but buyer not interested...

I just wonder what sort of help he offered. I doubt it was helpful help.

·
Registered
202 Posts
why take the risk buying something from taiwan when you know the manufacturer isn't going to provide support? you say you work for a bike builder, so i'm guessing it's dean since that is what your bike is....so why didn't you just get a fork through ritchey direct or something from quality. you can't place blame on ritchey for this one...

if you buy ebay it's not their responsibility to support the product; that's why they have dealers. sorry to hear about your situtation, it sucks to have to buy another fork.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
SDizzle said:
Why would Ritchey lie to you? How does that help them? Ritchey has been, by all accounts, a stand up company, so lying would only serve to damage their reputation. You're the rocket scientist that bought the fork from some guy in Taiwan. You know nothing of the history of that fork, whether it was a factory reject that someone made off with, or was otherwise damaged. Don't blame Ritchey for your decisions.

What's really nice is that you post some warning about Ritchey WCS forks as if you have some absolute knowledge that there was a problem on Ritchey's end. Hmmmmm. A lot of spray, but so very little substance you've offered.

Caveat emptor seems to be the phrase that works best here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts