Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
".. Horner rides with a saddle bag, even when followed by the team car. And he carries a pump, strapped to said saddle bag. His seat tube bottle cage is filled with a spare tubular, just in case.

For another thing, Horner rides a taller head tube than Trek’s “pro” geometry that the company calls H1. ..."

Seriously, what's next, pro dork disks?

Pro Bike: Chris Horner's Trek Madone 6.9 SSL | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Been done. Back when shifting wasn't so reliable, many pro bikes had those disks, like this 1948 Galletti. And I saw dork disks on a few bikes ridden in Paris-Roubaix back in the mid-1970s. Don't know about now.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,893 Posts
Ah, the "Bartali" gear!

Love that piece on Horner's ride.

It's has not been uncommon to use the largest cog as a dork disk in Roubaix by setting the limiting screw.

·
I'm interesting.
919 Posts
Good for Horner!

I find it refreshing that a real pro is willing to eschew the typical, stale "pro" snobbery.

·
Realist
145 Posts
".. Horner rides with a saddle bag, even when followed by the team car. And he carries a pump, strapped to said saddle bag. His seat tube bottle cage is filled with a spare tubular, just in case.

For another thing, Horner rides a taller head tube than Trek’s “pro” geometry that the company calls H1. ..."

Apparently the guy is doing much better than you are since he is riding at a pro level and you are not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I obviously wouldn't carry that stuff if I had a car following me, but what is the deal with people being anti frame pump and saddle bag? I like riding, I don't like getting stranded if I get a flat, and I don't like putting a bunch of junk in my jersey. I was really surprised that so many people don't have pumps or saddle bags, just seems strange to me.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,349 Posts
Doesn't he know he'll never be anything if he doesn't drink the pro-style kool aid?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Weight requirement are not enforced during training/recon rides.
Doh. Good catch. I didn't bother to read the article (just skimmed the quoted part.)

I obviously wouldn't carry that stuff if I had a car following me, but what is the deal with people being anti frame pump and saddle bag? I like riding, I don't like getting stranded if I get a flat, and I don't like putting a bunch of junk in my jersey. I was really surprised that so many people don't have pumps or saddle bags, just seems strange to me.
Because saddle bags are as awful looking as truck nutz, and you can carry everything you need on the road in half a jersey pocket.

If you don't like putting stuff in your jersey pockets, why bother to have pockets then?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Doh. Good catch. I didn't bother to read the article (just skimmed the quoted part.)

Because saddle bags are as awful looking as truck nutz, and you can carry everything you need on the road in half a jersey pocket.

If you don't like putting stuff in your jersey pockets, why bother to have pockets then?

Pockets are for food and phones the 2 tubes and inflators go in the bag along with the multi tool with a chain tool.

·
Realist
145 Posts

The only way that a person is able to see their saddle bag while on the bike is if they are riding with their head up their ass...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,470 Posts

1/2 a pocket? Smartphone, 1 or 2 spare tubes, patch kit, multitool, folding hex key set, CO2 inflator and 2-3 carts is way more than I'd care to carry in my pockets. Especially on hot swealtering days.

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
Clueless as usual.

Damn, I'd love to drop you on a full suspension mountain bike.

As someone else pointed out, it's not pleasant to land on your tools in a crash.

Talk about freds....caring what you or your saddle bag looks like? Yeah ok!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Your jersey pockets must be bigger than mine. Tube, tire levers, multi tool, cell phone, and a pump take up more than half a pocket. If anything I keep my house key and food in my jersey pockets. Anyways not knocking either way, I just don't care to let what others find silly looking dictate what is most functional for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Beings that he is an elder statesman of active Pros, he is allowed to be goofy.. he he he.. and he may have done this for laughs.

I have done too many walks back to the house while carrying my ride instead of the other way. So, I carry in my saddle bag, everything to repair a flat and make minor repairs elsewhere. In one pocket, another spare tube, inflator cartridge and a mini pump.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts

From what I've read about Horner, this is not too surprising. He's the consummate pro, always prepared for the worst.

This reminds me of an interview of Oscar Freire a few years ago, in which he said he never had to carry tools nor spare tubes with him when he trains near his hometown. The reason? Everybody knows he's Oscar Freire, so he could always either bum a spare tube/tire or bum a ride home.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.