Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Cannondale does a warranty frame replacement, who pays the costs to transfer the parts from the old frame to the new?

I hope this hasn't been asked & answered before. I did a search, but couldn't find an answer.

Any input would be appreciated

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
Owner is responsible for all charges associated with the build up of the replacement frame. One member was told by the LBS that to maintain the warranty, the LBS had to perform the building of the replacement bike.

I don't know if the LBS mislead our colleague in this matter, or if it actually followed Cannondale's warranty policy. Out of curiosity, what bike will Cannondale replace for you?
CHL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CHL said:
Owner is responsible for all charges associated with the build up of the replacement frame. One member was told by the LBS that to maintain the warranty, the LBS had to perform the building of the replacement bike.
Thanks CHL & Starnut.

This is what the shop told me too, that in order to maintain the warranty, they had to build the bike. Funny though that the service manager never did mention anything about a cost for the labor when I asked if I would do the swap or if they would.

Any idea what this should cost? I guess if I am already paying for it, then it shouldn't be much extra to have them change out the cables & housing, right?

It looks like they are replacing my 2009 Six Carbon 1 frame with a 2010 SuperSix 3. Not a bad swap in my opinion :thumbsup: .

I must say the shop & Cannondale has been great....much smoother than I expected (knock on wood).

·
Superstar
419 Posts
Tricio said:
Thanks CHL & Starnut.

This is what the shop told me too, that in order to maintain the warranty, they had to build the bike. Funny though that the service manager never did mention anything about a cost for the labor when I asked if I would do the swap or if they would.

Any idea what this should cost? I guess if I am already paying for it, then it shouldn't be much extra to have them change out the cables & housing, right?

It looks like they are replacing my 2009 Six Carbon 1 frame with a 2010 SuperSix 3. Not a bad swap in my opinion :thumbsup: .

I must say Cannondale has been great....much smoother than I expected (knock on wood).
Congrats on that. 2010 Super is a fantastic bike. My LBs told me I had to have them do the swap and they charged me 200+. I had to agree to the charge before they did the warranty or they said it wouldnt be covered under warranty. Thats what they told me at least. I didnt have the warranty tag for my last bike since they never gave it to me. I will never again use them because they do a terrible job building bikes. Both times they built my bike my cranks were loose and I think they wrecked my ceramic bearings on install or taking it apart. I didnt even bother asking them to replace them, as the price just to drive there and back twice would cost me about the same as just buying brand news ones. Im very happy about my swap from my 09 Super to a 2010 Super HM. Also I got lucky and had my warranty done in 6 days. They just so happend to have miss ordered a bike in my size and it was matte which is one of the only schemes I wanted. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A decent LBS would not charge you. It is a cost of doing buisness, and is why you pay more at an LBS.
We don't charge if it's warranty. Crash replacement is a different situation, in which case it's $200.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtbbmet said:
A decent LBS would not charge you. It is a cost of doing buisness, and is why you pay more at an LBS.
We don't charge if it's warranty. Crash replacement is a different situation, in which case it's $200.
Talked to the shop & they said that I am responsible for the labor and normally it would be about $200, but since all my parts are clean & in good shape, they will only charge me $75. Does not seem like bad deal to me.

Hopefully will have it back by the end of next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts