Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Tourist
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the warranty policy on Trek's frames ? I have this Madone 5.9SL that is obviously dead. No need to say 'sorry for your frame', or 'this used to be a beautiful bike' or 'what the heck happened to this frame' - I would like to know if Trek has either of these:
- a replacement policy under warranty - this is obviously still under warranty. I've read a post on RBR where the shop damaged a Madone frame by clamping it on the top tube, and the frame was replaced under warranty.
- a repair program at low cost. Trek's frames are tubes bonded into a frame, some tubes are dead but the others are fine.
- a replacement program at low cost if none of the above is available.

Thanks,

Pierre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Pierre said:
What's the warranty policy on Trek's frames ? I have this Madone 5.9SL that is obviously dead. No need to say 'sorry for your frame', or 'this used to be a beautiful bike' or 'what the heck happened to this frame' - I would like to know if Trek has either of these:
- a replacement policy under warranty - this is obviously still under warranty. I've read a post on RBR where the shop damaged a Madone frame by clamping it on the top tube, and the frame was replaced under warranty.
- a repair program at low cost. Trek's frames are tubes bonded into a frame, some tubes are dead but the others are fine.
- a replacement program at low cost if none of the above is available.

Thanks,

Pierre
Trek offers a lifetime warranty on all their frames against manufacturer defects. Damage from driving the bike into a garage, running it over, crashing on it, etc. isn't covered under the warranty . When I worked for a Trek dealer a couple of years ago, they were doing a crash replacement program. You could send in your damaged (damage other than that covered by the warranty) frame and get a replacement at a discounted price. I don't know if they still offer this.

As far as repairing the frame, I don't know if Trek does this and I doubt it would be cost-effective because of the immense labor charges that would result from sand-blasting, re-bonding new tubes, repainting, etc. I think it would be best to call Trek (1-800-TRY-TREK) to get the most accurate information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Take the frame to a Trek dealer and see what they say. I actually work for a Trek dealer and I don't even know for sure if they are doing the crash replacement program anymore. They were a few years ago, the last time the issue was brought up at our shop, but haven't had anyone kill a OCLV frame since. Trek has a great warranty, but from the looks of that damage that certainly isn't warranty stuff....looks like the bike took a hard hit to cause all that. Find a good shop you trust though, be honest with them about what happened and see what they can do.
 

·
Tourist
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so I took the mofo to 'my favorite Trek dealer' (don't buy any bike from them, they overprice everything...), said something along the lines of 'I was riding along and it just happened', they sent it back to Trek. Today they called to say that I'll get the same frame for $1300+shipping. Sounds pretty good to me... apparently it's not even a standard paint job...

Pierre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
Pierre said:
ok, so I took the mofo to 'my favorite Trek dealer' (don't buy any bike from them, they overprice everything...), said something along the lines of 'I was riding along and it just happened', they sent it back to Trek. Today they called to say that I'll get the same frame for $1300+shipping. Sounds pretty good to me... apparently it's not even a standard paint job...

Pierre
well, if you were indeed "riding along and it just happened," shouldn't it be covered under warranty? if "riding along" is stretching the truth, though, $1300 sounds fair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
technically...

...it depends on your particular dealer. My MTB...STP400 snapped on a good 2 ft. drop right at the bottom bracket. My dealer got me a replacement FREE. They said another dealer may not even bother griping. Try another shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
weiwentg said:
well, if you were indeed "riding along and it just happened," shouldn't it be covered under warranty? if "riding along" is stretching the truth, though, $1300 sounds fair.
Agree, looking at the picture I'd be very suprised if they replaced it for free. No way that's a JRA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
JRA being painfully obvious BS, the straight-face test was probably never even applied. Pulling $1,300 plus shipping out of the OPs wallet was a profitable move on part of Trek, and perhaps the LBS as well. They're happy, the OP is happy. All is well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
so was it crashed? I'm guessing yes even though I would have thought it would have looked more scratched up than it does.

Don't know what those frames go for new but they are not losing money at$1300 for a replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
hey...

Unrelated the situation with your broken frame.. That is (was) one heck of a paint job. Obviously project1.. what's the color option called?
 

·
Tourist
Joined
·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's called Andromeda. I bought the bike already crashed from ebay (the seller said it, of course). I'm already making profit just by selling the components, so $1300 for that type of frame (fork is included) sounds like an excellent deal.

Pierre



mr meow meow said:
Unrelated the situation with your broken frame.. That is (was) one heck of a paint job. Obviously project1.. what's the color option called?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Pierre said:
ok, so I took the mofo to 'my favorite Trek dealer' (don't buy any bike from them, they overprice everything...), said something along the lines of 'I was riding along and it just happened', they sent it back to Trek. Today they called to say that I'll get the same frame for $1300+shipping. Sounds pretty good to me... apparently it's not even a standard paint job...

Pierre
So you lied to the shop? That's low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
That's what's funny

ultimobici said:
So you lied to the shop? That's low.
Apparently Trek (and the dealer) saw right through it and immediately classified it as a crash-replacement issue. When I worked for a Trek dealer, the crash-replacement program wasn't really conditional at all, other than the the fact that you have to send them your broken frame. I remember a roof-rack/garage accident; frame was sent for crash replacement, no real questions asked. Trek has probably had hundreds of dubious "JRA" warranty claim attempts like this one, and it seems they have a fast SOP for handling them. The minute they hear JRA over the phone....Bam....new frame, $1300, done.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
don't want to get into the ethics of what went on but both in the bigger picture of things as well as from a business perspective it is probably in Treks best interest to do things the way they are currently doing them (ie frame replacement $1300 no ?'s asked). As mentioned earlier they ain't losing money...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Pierre said:
it's called Andromeda. I bought the bike already crashed from ebay (the seller said it, of course). I'm already making profit just by selling the components, so $1300 for that type of frame (fork is included) sounds like an excellent deal.

Pierre
Wow. What a scumbag. Buy a frame you know is kack. Lie to the company so you can get a sweet deal and then make a profit off said sweet deal.

I gotta say I'm definitely proud that you're a member of the bike community. Not.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
don't want to get into the ethics of what went on but both in the bigger picture of things as well as from a business perspective it is probably in Treks best interest to do things the way they are currently doing them (ie frame replacement $1300 no ?'s asked). As mentioned earlier they ain't losing money...
Nah don't get into the ethics. Wouldn't want to trip the guy up whilst he's making another sweetheart deal. It's prolly how he affords these lightweight Orbea on a whim projects: lies; rips off a company so he can put another wad of cash in his pocket; then smiles like he's a good ol' joe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I have to agree...

I bought my STP400 from the same Trek dealer, rode it for a whopping three months, so it makes sense that they bent over backwards to replace the frame free of charge. I couldn't bring myself to go to a dealer I didn't purchase from after BUYING the brand BROKEN and expect that kind of service. Hell, I hate bringing in my hand laced wheels to be trued because I don't have the equipment...THAT MAKES ME FEEL GUILTY, AND I BUY THE PARTS FROM THEM!!!!!! This guy should be held down so I can shove a wheelsmith double-butted up his nose!

I will give him this...at least he was honest here. I hope Trek makes those frames for $60!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
points well taken,

If Trek could they would replace any and all of those frames, from anyone, liars, haters, cheaters, etc for whatever reason (that's what they're doing). The reason they don't care is bc they are making a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if they made >$900 from this unscrupulous behavior. I seriously doubt those frames cost more than $400 to make (and that includes any and all research that went into their design, etc). Probably a lot less...

but yes you are correct, that doesn't make it right
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top