Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it to the LBS I bought it at and they said it's just a "crack in the paint - not structural."

Sorry the pic aren't so good. The crack(s) are all on the right hand side and originate from the bottom of the headtube. The crack runs up the red accent, follows the red paint to the top tube and back and there are also cracks in the "S" logo on the front of the headtube.

Should I be worried?

ETA: It's a 2012 Tarmac Pro AND I already had the fork sent back for the recall...

View attachment 282808 View attachment 282810
View attachment 282811 View attachment 282812
View attachment 282813

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I wouldn't worry but would keep my eyes on it. Maybe put a little mark at the end of the cracks to see if they get longer.

This puzzles the heck out of me. Carbon is known to flex, right, isn't that the magical property of carbon: controlled flex?

So why do the manufacturers use stiff paint that cracks when the carbon flexes? Doesn't enamel, for example, stay somewhat flexible and less likely to crack? Aren't there additives that can be mixed into paint so that it stays somewhat compliant and won't crack so easily?

We see these "crack" threads all the time and I'd certainly be pissed if my expensive new frame got cracks in the paint.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was cleaning and prepping it a few nights before a century, and needless to say, I just about crapped a brick when I first saw the cracks. FWIW, I'm used to seeing cracks in a clear coat, but haven't seen this out of a matte finish.

I ride some pretty crappy roads and my daily ride is ~1500' climb and easily reach 35mph on the way back down. I REALLY don't want to have a failure at those speeds...

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
FWIW, I'm used to seeing cracks in a clear coat, but haven't seen this out of a matte finish.
That matte finish is still clear coated. It's just matte clear coat rather than glossy or satin.

Re: the cracking, if you can run your fingernail across it and the nail catches, the crack is in the clear coat. That doesn't mean it's ONLY in the clear coat, so I agree that you should keep your eye on it.

It's not just flex that induces paint cracks. Could be humidity/ temperature fluctuations or something happened during the painting process. I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but if the LBS is correct, it's purely aesthetic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.