Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone subscribed to daily webcasts of the Giro and if so, did the webcast work alright?

After a couple of years of feeling ripped off by the poor technical execution of Cycling.TV, I swore I wouldn't subscribe any more until their problems were fixed. I really disliked paying good money for a subscription only to have the telecast lock up at critical moments of races or as-live replays just not work. However, I really wanted to watch more than just the Sunday broadcast on Versus.

Anyone have any experience with this year's webcast they would like to share?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
bikemoore said:
I was wondering if anyone subscribed to daily webcasts of the Giro and if so, did the webcast work alright?

After a couple of years of feeling ripped off by the poor technical execution of Cycling.TV, I swore I wouldn't subscribe any more until their problems were fixed. I really disliked paying good money for a subscription only to have the telecast lock up at critical moments of races or as-live replays just not work. However, I really wanted to watch more than just the Sunday broadcast on Versus.

cycling.tv was ok this year.. watched stage 20 with 2 lockups, just had to refresh the browser once. came in at 1600 kbps?...

My laptop allowed use of fast forward and the slider bar. (Vista in ie7 with wmp 10? or 11?)..the stage voight won - the slider didn't work (technical issue their side?)..that maybe fixed by now.

xp with wmp 9 in ie 6.0 - the slider doesn't work.. get audio and no picture if i move it.- so i was pissed off more than you.

SO I was pleased/happy with my laptop this year (actually found a use for it!!).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi bikemoore,

I've heard a lot of complaints about cycling.tv durring the Giro. From what I understand, they are saying that they're going to overhaul the service, but so far they haven't.

Personnaly I get most of my coverage free via http://cyclingfans.com. They are sort of a one stop shopping for live web streaming of cycling events. They put up links every day of where the streaming is, start time of coverage, etc for both free and paid live feeds.

I discovered them a few months ago, and was so excited to actually see the Giro live for the first time! I wound up not even watching the Verses coverage on the weekends because I was able to see it all live.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I think a lot of others here use cyclingfans.com too.

Patti

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bikemoore said:
I didn't pay cyclingtv any extra money for their Giro coverage, I just used the links on cyclingfans.com.

In my experience, they were much more reliable than the cycling.tv service, as long as you didn't mind listening to Norwegian sometimes. The RAI links tended to be clunky and not worth it.

There seemed to be at least a few stages where cyclingfans.com was complaining that they couldn't get into cycling.tv without a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since RBR has altruistically had a coupons/deals forum for some time, would a similar offering for webcasts be possible? It would be nice to offer poor U.S. cycling coverage or poor cycling.tv a little competition, even if it is in Italian/French/Spanish/Russian????????. Last Saturday, someone graciously notified readers of a live web feed of the Giro Stage and at least I got to see the Gavia (I was too late for the Motriolo. Thanks!! Made my day.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Cycling.tv was a technological DISASTER for this year's Giro. Didn't have nearly the same lock-up problems like I did in 2007 or 2006 or 2005 (the first time I used the cycling.tv Giro Versus channel service). I really enjoy listening to Anthony Smith and Brian McCrossen as they have different perspectives from Phil and Paul. Alas, I ended up spending twice as much time watching the cyclingfans.com Giro player (free) over cycling.tv. I felt like my $40 were ripped off when I could have gotten a nice new Conti GP4000S for that money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Patti. Cyclingfans.com is great.
There is a good video feed from Norwegian TV, which covers teh entire stage. Sometimes you can get the Eurosport audio in English. They don't exactly match, but at least it's the same race at the same time!

·
Registered
66 Posts
agree, cycling.tv coverage poor

I too wasted $40 dollars on the giro coverage. After experimenting for the first few races with continual lock-up, I settled on a grainy picture and a feed that worked at 256k. The very next day the 256k option disappeared. I was stuck with the almost unintelligible 100k or the freezing 400k. I wrote to the tech guys at the site. I never heard from anyone. What happened to the 256k option? Why 2 screens? Why no log on for long periods of time? I want to pay by the minute next year. If it doesn't work, they don't get paid. This would put a fire under them.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
fornaca68 said:
I really enjoy listening to Anthony Smith and Brian McCrossen as they have different perspectives from Phil and Paul.
I like those guys. I've got to say I thought that Sean Kelly was really good on Eurosport. I remember dislikening him years ago when I first heard him because he sounded like he was nearly catatonic. He appears to take one of the few mature, reasoned approaches I've seen to "professional" issues like doping and paying for collusion rather than simply ignoring it like the cycling.tv guys usually do or being an apologist like Liggett.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
First -- did RAI, Eurosport, Norwegian TV, etc, offer delayed coverage? Or did they just offer it live?

Anyway, I found cycling tv's giro coverage to be vastly improved over the previous years...which means it was just on the high side of acceptable. Video quality was the modern equivalent of the old days of rabbit ear antennaed tv...with pixilation substituting for ghosts and snow. Anthony McCrossen calls a good finish, but the banter between him and Brian Smith is maddeningly dull. I'd rather have David Duffield, any day. I might even prefer a dream team of Al Trautwig and John Tesh.

The Giro viewing window opened up in a reasonable amount of time, and it only crashed about twice. At the time I was doing most of my viewing -- beginning about nine o'clock in the evening Pacific Time -- I only encountered a smattering of lock-ups. (I never watched it live. I always watched in Video on Demand.) On the other hand, the day I tried to watch in the afternoon, I would get fifteen second bursts of coverage interspersed with fifteen seconds of down time.

Using my Internet Explorer 7 browser, I was able to access fast-forward, pause, full-screen and other options about 80% of the time. With my Mozilla Firefox, I was pretty much always stuck with no buttons to push at all.

In short, yes cycling tv was still pretty laughable, quality-wise, but it wasn't the "I wish internet inventor Al Gore had never been born" experience it was in previous years. I enjoyed watching the race, and I enjoyed the Italian landscapes. I don't feel as if I got ripped off.

·
TWD
603 Posts
cyclingfans.com may just be my new home page. The video feed only locked up twice in what I think was seven days that I watched. Had a nice Eurosport english audio which I thought matched up nicely.
Anyone know what the versus plan is for le tour? daily live coverage or the usual 2 hour compressed sunday deal? sorry to hear about cycling.tv because without cyclingfans we would all be screwed. I am getting verizon fios tv soon and their choice of tv stations looks pretty good. I saw all 3 RAI sports as elective so it looks like there will be lots of off season soccer coverage in my house.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
FYI, for cycling.tv, if you go to the video in Firefox using Windows Media Player 9.0 or below and right click on the video and go to properties you can copy the video address and open it in a separate windows media player window (not in the browser). This relieved almost all of my issues that I had, the only one I had after doing this was that if I paused the video it would not start back up and I would have to start over again and find my spot, so instead of pausing it I would just let it run and mark my time and then rewind a bit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks like I still boycott cycling.tv

Thanks for the responses everyone. It looks like my boycott of cycling.tv is still on. Also thanks for the link to cyclingfans.com. I got so spoiled when I lived in Europe for almost 12 years and had constant access to Eurosport cycling coverage on TV. David Duffield is really irritating at first, then he grows on you and you learn to like him a lot. Since returning to live in the USA, I really miss watching cycling.

Why in the world, with all of the pay-per-view channels on cable and satellite and the high disposable income demographic of the cycling community, can't some sports channel put the classics and the grand tours on a specialized cable subscription? I know the bandwidth and technology exists to let us choose and pay for specific channels and the production costs are zero. All they have to do is pay Eurosport a licensing fee. I just don't get why we can't have full live, as-live replay, and highlights shows beaming constantly into our TV just by paying for an annual subscription. The capacity and technology is there!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Travis said:
just found the tour coverage: http://www.versus.com/tdf/article/view/758/?ss=tv&tf=Body.tpl

looks like a nice 3-4 hours of live coverage each day, sweet! means some early rising for us left coasters :) .... now if we could just get HD ... just asking
Cool! Thanks for the link, Travis!

PS they're probably waiting for ME to get HD tv before they start showing it that way sorry. :D

Patti

·
Registered
91 Posts
I watched every stage of the Giro this year that was available on cycling.tv. None of my viewing was live however, so I did most of my viewing in the evening. I steam cycling.tv onto my lcd tv via S-video. I thought the coverage was excellent and the quality was mostly good. There were a couple of stages where the picture quality was poor, but for $29 I got to watch every single stage.

Put me in the satisfied camp. I do hope they come up with a new format though. Their interface is lacking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.