Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Striker
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the neighborhood boys came over pushing this bike. I first thought I would be asked to fix it (I fix most of the kids bikes on my block) but he asked me if I wanted it. His Dad told him to go ask the bicycle guy if he wanted it or throw it out.

The dad was the original owner and says it's at least thirty years old. I haven't had a good chance to look at it and snapped this lousy pick this morning on my way home.

The frame looks like it's in great shape. I want to make a fixie grocery getter out of it.

What do I have here? Anything special?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
striker said:
I want to make a fixie grocery getter out of it. What do I have here? Anything special?

A 1972 Raleigh Record was my very first "real" bicycle. Rode the hell out of it for about 4 years before upgrading to the Professional. Yours isn't that old. The Record is not really anything special - it was inexpensive even when new, and not made out of particularly good steel ("high carbon" isn't chromoly), but it ought to work fine for a grocerey-getting fixie; it will be a little heavy. Here's Sheldon Brown's excellent (as always) article on this breed: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/record.html

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Well, it's a heck of a lot better than sphinx36's Nice Find. Should make a very useable fixie. Go for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.