Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so angry right now....

I just got back from a ride in Danville, off highlands road. Some jerks in a pick up threw an empty bottle at me. It nearly missed my wife, but actually hit me right square in the back. I have a large welt there.

We were on the shoulder off the road stopped for a quick re-fuel.
I can't believe people out here are really like this. They also yelled profanity at us. I'm really amazed...
Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior out here?
:mad: Should we find another route?

BTW, I did report it to the Danville police. Although I was unable to get a license number.
The truck was a faded light green, old Chevy from the 80's, with a Marines sticker in the window.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
No, you shouldn't change the route. Sadly ,things like this happens sometimes.
One question though, are you saying you got a welt on you back from an empty soda bottle????? What the heck was the bottle made out of?

·
xploshin
530 Posts
If it was one of those plastic bottles the lids on those things hurt. I don't doubt that he has a welt. I hope you don't have to deal with something like that again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ride out there quite often and have never had any problems or close calls. But there are immature kids everywhere. I have had a full slurpee bounced off of my back in Danvillle, I have had a car swerve and the passenger reach out and slap me on the butt while they pass me on SRV blvd in Alamo. I chased those kids down somehow and the explanation was that the driver just turned 18 and they had been drinking??? Thanks for almost killing me.

I will keep an eye out for your green p-u and hope they don't throw one at me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've calmed down a bit. I was really upset about it. My wife as well... Sad, I have not been treated like that in years on a bike. I will continue my riding. Hope I run into those idiots again, so I can get the license plate number.
BTW, I was hit with a glass "IZZE" brand soda bottle. It's actually very heavy. If we would have been hit in the face or sensitive bit's it could have been deadly. Especially from a vehicle traveling around 40 mph...

Anyway, be careful out there. There are way too many nut cases!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had all sorts of junk thrown at me over the years in the Danville/Pleasanton corridor there. Thankfully I've grown used to this type of junk from ********, as they also pick on skateboarders which used to be my public sport obsession. Boredom + vehicle + anonymity of driving past = tard behavior.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Those Izze soda bottles are made of glass isn't it? I know Chipotle sell them in glass bottles. That would seriously hurt if it's glass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is it with pussheads in pickups? I know pussheads drive other vehicles as well. I t just seems that there are more pussheads in pickups.:mad: Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
desmo13 said:
Bummer, I drive over to Danville to ride because it is safer than here :(

Desmo, I should have mentioned that my two incidents were many years ago. I ride in the San Ramon Valley from Martinez to Pleasanton and all towns in between all the time and feel pretty safe overall. It's the cell phone idiots that scare me the most, and every body has one, including me. :idea:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I live in Danville and ride SRV Blvd and Highland all the time. Stuff happens every now and then around here. In my experience it's usually high school kids. It always pisses me off when it happens. Cell phone is the best solution. I never get focused quickly enough to get a license number though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As with any crime, it is a risk they take. These guys are not kids or ********, they are criminals. If caught, I assume you would sue the bejeesus out of them as well as prosecute. A little ******* fun could cost them both their mobile home and that Trans Am on blocks.

A similar incident happened to me but they got caught. They paid for my nice shiny Look 595. I am sure my transgressors are much more polite -if they can still afford to drive.

·
Slow and Steady
227 Posts
Wow, you'd think out in the "country" it would be better to ride and not worry about your safety in that way. I guess not.

Hope your back feels better soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
gun2head said:
Dude, try a brick from a third story building to the back of the head/neck like I took in Bisbee AZ one year...
try a piano dropped from a high rise....now that hurts

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
or someone dropping an elephant from an over hanging roof garden above your head when stopped at a traffic lights! - that REALLY hurts man I can tell you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts