Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many here, noticed that Levi sort of disappeared during the Giro. Was it bad form or was he saving himself for the Dauphine'?

Astana is sending a strong team, with LL clearly the team leader. I guess we'll see if he has any pop left in his legs.

The complete team line-up is: Jani Brajkovic, Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Daniel Navarro, Sergio Paulinho, Benjamin Noval, José Luis Rubiera and Tomas Vaitkus.

JSR

· Registered
11,561 Posts
JSR said:
I, like many here, noticed that Levi sort of disappeared during the Giro. Was it bad form or was he saving himself for the Dauphine'?

Astana is sending a strong team, with LL clearly the team leader. I guess we'll see if he has any pop left in his legs.

The complete team line-up is: Jani Brajkovic, Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Daniel Navarro, Sergio Paulinho, Benjamin Noval, José Luis Rubiera and Tomas Vaitkus.

JSR
Well when he was dropped, he was fighting not to be dropped so it's not like he was 100% saving himself by just sitting up and riding his own pace when the going got tough.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Well when he was dropped, he was fighting not to be dropped...
Maybe that was the point at which they said "Ok, that was a bad day, so cool it until le Dauphine.'"

Levi has a funny sort of capability. IMO, he has only about 99% of the talent of a top GT rider. He almost always stays at that level, though. When he does falter it's not a complete blowup, but significant enough to drop him from contention.

Then again, his overall level never seems to drop really far. Remember his brilliant performances in the Tour of Germany? All the other top guys are dusted from the TdF, but he's still flying. It may be that if GTs were four weeks long he'd be the big dog.

JSR

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
When your team is leading the Giro with a tenuous lead (only 4 seconds at one point), and one of your top lieutenants (Kloden) is getting sick, does it really make sense to save the other top lieutenant for another much lesser race?

· Registered
1,611 Posts
He looked good in California, but then in Georgia he struggled on Brasstown. We all saw what he didn't do at the Giro. I'm not expecting anything special from him at the Dauphine.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
mohair_chair said:
When your team is leading the Giro with a tenuous lead (only 4 seconds at one point), and one of your top lieutenants (Kloden) is getting sick, does it really make sense to save the other top lieutenant for another much lesser race?
IIRC, the live updates at CN mentioned LL was doing some hard work for Contador the day after Diluca's big escape.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
mtbbmet said:
I think Horner has a better shot at winning than Levi.
That's crazy talk.

We may see the emergence of a new younger rider this time around. A lot of the guys that have won recently are long in the tooth.

The start list isn't real exciting either. None of the big sprinters are present (except for Hushovd), nor are any of the Italian GC contenders (Yea, the Giro was a week ago).

I'd put my money on Valverde, who is probably near top level for Tour, and a second place by Robert Gesink. Evans in third due to strong TT and just enough form to save himself from losing big time in mountains.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Brajkovic is a dark horse IMO. He can TT pretty well and has the legs to climb as well. He might very well have a superb race.

Oh and, when's the Dauphine?

· Registered
447 Posts
JSR said:
Then again, his overall level never seems to drop really far. Remember his brilliant performances in the Tour of Germany? All the other top guys are dusted from the TdF, but he's still flying. It may be that if GTs were four weeks long he'd be the big dog.

JSR
That was more of a build up than anything else. Levi started his buildup for the Tour late so he missed his peak and it got carried through to the ToG where he had an excellent race.

You can also see evidence of him starting his buildup too early in '06 when he did very well in the Dauphine but faded in the Tour.

Since Levi is such a "3rd Week Guy" in that he comes on stronger (or holds on while others fade) in the the 3rd week, the timing of when he hits that 3rd week form really affects the way he performs.

I'd look to see Levi do quite well at the Dauphine after having all of the Giro to build up even better fitness.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Is Andy Schleck riding it or will he be holding out for the TDF. I think he is a real dark horse in both races.

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
The dauphine libere skips all the sprint and TT stages. There's a 5.7km prologue that might not even be worth the aero equipment, and a 31km TTT in the middle of the week. Levi won it in 2006, so he definitely can do it. Probably not this year, though.

Don't expect Brajkovic or Evans to win it. My money is on valverde.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
The dauphine libere skips all the sprint and TT stages. There's a 5.7km prologue that might not even be worth the aero equipment, and a 31km TTT in the middle of the week. Levi won it in 2006, so he definitely can do it. Probably not this year, though.

Don't expect Brajkovic or Evans to win it. My money is on valverde.
Why not Jani or Cadel? Just curious here.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
AJL said:
Yeah, and since his form didn't seem to build during the Giro, I don't see him bouncing back after such a short break.
He was working really hard for Alberto actually but was just not strong enough and to start off, he didn't come in with great form either.

I think he could do well, but not win it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.