Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this has happened many times to me:
I did 62 miles today. Hot day here in NY, but it doesn't seem to matter. At about mile 50, I get headaches and feel 'bonky'. Legs (hips, actually) hurt and I feel 'distant'.
I drank alot today...forced myself to keep drinking. I had gels (Cliff Shot) about every 1/2 hour or so, and at about mile 40 I had a fruit bar (a tasty fruit and nut combo). Ride was steady and relaxed, but had hills and some nice long runs that got the speed up.
I am 58, 155 lbs. At present I am a 'weekend warrior' until I get to ride Tues/ Thurs eves in about 2 weeks.
So...I got home and was washed out...slept for a few hours. I hate it!
Suggestions?

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
For me, it's still about calories and what my body needs on any given ride. Yesterday we did a 111-miler, but the first 40 included 6000+ feet of climbing. I made the mistake of not taking in enough calories (or probably fluid for that matter) early, and suffered the rest of the day.

I'm still experimenting with what my body needs on the longer rides, but the lunch stop at McDonalds seemed to help a ton....and I made sure to put down a good number of calories. It made the final 55 or so miles much more tolerable.

I may need to do some more experimenting with products like Perpetuem from Hammer Nutrition or the like. It doesn't look like I've quite figured it out with solid food alone.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
The answer is....more miles.
One you hit 50, your body can't "fake it", like it can at 25.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well you had a good ride then feel washed out. That's natural. It should wear away within a few hours of food, drinks and shade.

A great help for me is going to the gym on the weekdays. I'm talking about 30 minutes on a cardio machine and light weight machines for reps on my legs and triceps. The total workout lasts 45-60 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. It's really tough on the body to just produce on the weekends, especially at our age. My doctor says that it's really a bit dangerous to just exercise on weekends alone. Also, cross conditioning will keep you fresh and wanting to ride.

·
Registered
348 Posts
AlanS said:
I did 62 miles today. Hot day here in NY, but it doesn't seem to matter. At about mile 50, I get headaches and feel 'bonky'. Legs (hips, actually) hurt and I feel 'distant'.
I drank alot today...forced myself to keep drinking. I had gels (Cliff Shot) about every 1/2 hour or so, and at about mile 40 I had a fruit bar (a tasty fruit and nut combo). Ride was steady and relaxed, but had hills and some nice long runs that got the speed up.
I am 58, 155 lbs. At present I am a 'weekend warrior' until I get to ride Tues/ Thurs eves in about 2 weeks.
Suggestions?
Are you drinking plain water or water with a powder mix? If you are drinking plain water then you are dehydrating yourself. I can't go past 50 miles in warm weather on water without getting sick. I have found that Hammer Heed works well for <50 miles and Hammer Perpetuem works great for 50+ mile rides. It takes some trial-and-error to find what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay, so a few things stick out to me:
1. You said you drank a lot and forced yourself to keep drinking
2. You got headaches and felt "distant"
3. You're a weekend warrior

Hyponatremia is a real issue, especially with weekend warrior types that are overly zealous about not getting dehydrated. Google it.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Pre-load and electrolytes

AlanS said:
Suggestions?
One possibility, especially this early in the season, is that you just don't have enough miles in your legs. Beyond that, what did you have for breakfast, and for dinner last night? If you start on an empty tank, it's hard to finish strong.

Finally, I have to agree with RipTide that maybe you're not getting enough electrolytes, which is preventing the water from absorbing from your gut. If you're getting that "sloshing full feeling" regarding drinking, then you need some salt. The media have got everyone hyped up about restricting sodium in our diets, but IME a vigorously exercising cyclist needs significant salt replacement to prevent dehydration problems. On a long ride (6+ hours) I make it a point to take in over 50% of the RDA for sodium.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Par for the course

As someone already mentioned, you are a weekend warrior which means this ride is your hard ride of the week.

Once a week I do interval training and basically expect to feel "washed out" for the remainder of the day (no fun when there's kids to feed and put to bed).

I really don't think it is possible to completely eliminate the run down feeling -- only make it "less worse". Jeremy is right that you should look at your salt intake during and immediately after the ride. Also be sure to get some carbs/sugars in that 15-30 minute window when you get off the bike.

-K

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Rely more on real food and less on gels. Gels tend to be simpler sugars. Great for intense efforts and whatnot, not so great for prolonged steady state riding. More bars!

Also, drink water. And try taping your odometer so that you can't see the distance. It might be psychological.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Alan,
Lets point out a few things:
a) NYC temps were just in the 40's to mid 50's and you road on a sunny day with temps reaching 80 plus.
b) Drink up the day before a big ride
c) Eat up the morning of your ride, that means a real BREAKFAST

As stated, your rides will get easire as you ride more and get more miles in the saddle. Most of the issue was most likely the HEAT and
my guess an indoor winter.

Try to ride Every day or every other day. If not, back off a bit.

Robert

·
Registered
48 Posts
estone2 said:
Rely more on real food and less on gels. Gels tend to be simpler sugars. Great for intense efforts and whatnot, not so great for prolonged steady state riding. More bars!
I agree. Even if you include different kinds of simple sugars your body can absorb the calories more quickly. Maybe try getting some protein in and just a little fat. I start to feel funny if I only eat sugar for awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts