Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing Shimano Dura-Ace pedals, and I notice Time pedals I am removing have a washer between the pedal and the crank arm. The Shimano instructions, which are normally quite detailed, make no mention or illustration of such a washer, and none was provided with the pedals. Am I suppose to re-use this washer, or do Shimano pedals not need it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The washers I've encountered have always come with the crank. I think that some of the aluminum used now is softer to prevent fatigue, and the washers protect the crank from getting chewed up by the pedal. I'd use them.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went without the washers. The pedal itself has a mating area that is exactly the same size as the washer's, so the crank protection should be equal. Also, I noticed that on my old cranks (Truvativ), there is a recessed area to fit the washer, and on the new cranks (Shimano), there is not. The washers probably came with the old cranks and they probably got carried over when the bike shop switched out my crank.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Greg Smalter said:
I went without the washers. The pedal itself has a mating area that is exactly the same size as the washer's, so the crank protection should be equal. Also, I noticed that on my old cranks (Truvativ), there is a recessed area to fit the washer, and on the new cranks (Shimano), there is not. The washers probably came with the old cranks and they probably got carried over when the bike shop switched out my crank.
It's not the size of the washer that matters, rather that the crank & azle have something between them so the shoulder doesn't cut into the crank. Seems that they mostly come with carbon cranksets though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts